DVI vs. VGA

Just to drift off topic a bit, and while I think about it, why doesn't Microsoft sell a DVI cable for the Xbox 360? They've got HDMI and VGA, and DVI sits neatly in between. For people without HDMI, DVI would be a real bonus.

Back on topic. If you're used to VGA and that's all you've ever used then you are unlikely to think 'hey this is fine but maybe there's something a tiny bit better'. Once you use a DVI monitor though there's no going back.

Answer to Xbox360 question, you can just get a HDMI to dvi cable, if your 360 has a HDMI port. The HDMI cable Microsoft sell is for older Xbox 360s and arcade consoles, and the VGA cable, probably just to get one up on the PS3 :p

The HDMI cable Microsoft sell is for older Xbox 360s and arcade consoles

Don't you mean new ones (elites). The old ones didn't have HDMI ports, which is my point. :)

Because DVI requires the same chips as HDMI, so if it had DVI support, they might as well spend the extra 10 cents and add a HDMI port.

Although I don't see why they don't all support HDMI like the PS3. Every other connection format looks like utter shit.

Although I don't see why they don't all support HDMI like the PS3. Every other connection format looks like utter shit.

I honestly can't tell the difference between HD-DVDs played through my Xbox 360 over component and HD TV shows played through my Dish VIP 722 over HDMI.

I honestly can't tell the difference between HD-DVDs played through my Xbox 360 over component and HD TV shows played through my Dish VIP 722 over HDMI.
I hooked my PS3 up to my monitor via component and it was an incredible difference. Everything was darker, more fuzy (hard to read text), etc.

Same deal as VGA vs. DVI basically.

I hooked my PS3 up to my monitor via component and it was an incredible difference. Everything was darker, more fuzy (hard to read text), etc.

Same deal as VGA vs. DVI basically.

That's due to the quality of your monitor then. A $3000 HDTV will probably have better component connections than a $400 computer monitor.

That's due to the quality of your monitor then. A $3000 HDTV will probably have better component connections than a $400 computer monitor.
Digital > analog

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHpt-A2h5E[/YOUTUBE]

my 360 is hooked up to my denon amp via component and the PS3 using HDMI and then to my Sony TV using HDMI. As far as I can tell there is zero difference.

If you are using a analog connections, the quality of the cable can make a big difference especially if you have a relatively long cable.