FG Fitness Challenge

Welp, I'm down around 12 kilos, give or take, since I started university. Pleasant though it is, I wouldn't call this fitness in its intended meaning, this is what it has boiled down to as a result of my immeasurable laziness to cook food for myself more frequently than once a day. As a measure of pseudo-exercising, I've been avoiding using the elevator. Still no fly booty. :(

While losing 12kg is something to be happy about, be aware that you might be losing muscle mass too and not only fat if said weight loss is not accompanied by exercise.

Last edited:
I am 100% aware of this. But I'm so lazyyyy. It's not like I don't get any movement, I walk everywhere I need to be, since most places in this city are within somewhat reasonable walking distance, so I'm covering the daily 10000 with a surplus. :dunno:

That's a great start, but walking is mostly aerobic exercise. You need some resistance exercise to keep/increase muscle.
I know sometimes it's hard to get out of the lazy mindset, but you could do some things at home, with no equipment at all, like pull-ups or crunches.

The pain! Oh boy, I might have slightly overdone it today, but bolstered by whatever feeling of... ah I don't know. I didn't want to go for a run at all, so i forced myself and clocked in the longest run i've ever done - by far.
15km in 1:26h, I am fairly happy with that (before, the most I'd done without stopping was 11km I think), despite the fact that I won't be able to walk properly for the next few days (probably) :D

Wohoooo!

:lol:

I signed up for this program that my health insurance does - you pick a date that you want to be ready for and it'll start a regime for you to get ready for a 5k.

I know there's apps and stuff but I think this will make me more accountable cause it's coming in each day/week instead of me having to open the appropriate app.

I signed up for this program that my health insurance does - you pick a date that you want to be ready for and it'll start a regime for you to get ready for a 5k.

I know there's apps and stuff but I think this will make me more accountable cause it's coming in each day/week instead of me having to open the appropriate app.

This was a bad idea. I do get the e-mails but then forget to actually work them. I also want to get proper running shoes before I start working hard - it's the one thing I heard about C25K.

In good news, I'm logging maybe 85-90% of my meals. Did you know that a 25 cookie, chocolate chip cookie bucket made in a local grocery store bakery, has over 1000 calories? Because I sure didn't. I'd down at least one of those buckets a week, sometimes replacing an entire meal with them. Not healthy at all. Just yesterday I was at the store, they had a sale, yet I ignored it. Bought some diet popcorn instead. I wish that there was more diet sweet food though that wasn't pumped full of chemicals.

I guess I need to rediscover fruit. I bought grapes but fuck, I'm lazy, and getting those grapes off the stem + washing them? a pain. *cue first world problems*

Anyone got a Fitbit?

I don't. I do want to get a inexpensive fitness device though. My phone has Google Fit, but phone based step counters leave me unconvinced in terms of accuracy.

I know Aston Martin likes his Mi Band...apparently they are very inexpensive.

This was a bad idea. I do get the e-mails but then forget to actually work them. I also want to get proper running shoes before I start working hard - it's the one thing I heard about C25K.

proper shoes can do wonders, also for long term motivation, since they can(!) keep you from developing pain in your joints after every run. proper shoes can be had for little money, don't let the marketing fool you too much.

In good news, I'm logging maybe 85-90% of my meals. Did you know that a 25 cookie, chocolate chip cookie bucket made in a local grocery store bakery, has over 1000 calories? Because I sure didn't. I'd down at least one of those buckets a week, sometimes replacing an entire meal with them. Not healthy at all. Just yesterday I was at the store, they had a sale, yet I ignored it. Bought some diet popcorn instead. I wish that there was more diet sweet food though that wasn't pumped full of chemicals.

I don't log my meals in any way, except for keeping a rough idea in my head. But then again, I am perfectly aware that yes, a bucket of cookies will run you in the neighbourhood of 1000 kcal. For that matter, anything that would be classified as sweet food or chips/crisps or anything like that will run you in the neighbourhood of 500kcal/100g. I wouldn't be too sure about diet popcorn either... what's the point? To me, that just sounds boring, so not worth it :D
Generally, I am not fond of diet sweet food. Usually, the stuff that's in there keeps you craving the sweet taste and whatever else is associated with it and you still end up eating a shit ton.
Also: there's nothing wrong with the occasional sweet binge... just set yourself a cheat-day, if you're being serious about diet, and use that day to keep your motivation up. On that day, just go nuts :)

I guess I need to rediscover fruit. I bought grapes but fuck, I'm lazy, and getting those grapes off the stem + washing them? a pain. *cue first world problems*

yeah, honestly, what the fuck? how lazy can you go? :D I actually like grapes for that... you can just wash them while they're still on the stem, which should take you less than a minute for the whole bunch. After that, I rather like having to pluck them off the stem, because it introduces a slower pace to enjoying them. That way, they last you longer!

I don't. I do want to get a inexpensive fitness device though. My phone has Google Fit, but phone based step counters leave me unconvinced in terms of accuracy.

I like mine, too. They're ridiculously cheap, so if you want to keep track of your steps and sleep pattern (still not sure about this), just go for it. Just don't expect too much from it, it really is just an accelerometer with bluetooth, nothing more. It can help you move more, I know I feel ever so slightly bad when i don't reach my daily goal.

In other news, this week there was a big public run over and around the little hill I live on. It's only 5555m, but has quite a bit of elevation. The record for males is less than 17 minutes... which is utterly ludicrous. I didn't take part, because running that tight a circuit from a mass start of 2500 people (in 2 groups, fair enough) doesn't seem very enjoyable. Instead, I ran the exact same route the next day on my own and stayed well below 26 minutes, which I'm very happy with (especially considering I haven't been out for a run for two weeks!) :)

mmmmm delicious pesticides I love that powdery layer when it just hits your tongue

I like mine, too. They're ridiculously cheap, so if you want to keep track of your steps and sleep pattern (still not sure about this), just go for it. Just don't expect too much from it, it really is just an accelerometer with bluetooth, nothing more. It can help you move more, I know I feel ever so slightly bad when i don't reach my daily goal.

I've actually had alot of trackers but settled on Fitbit for the community and group challenges. Yes the Mi Band is very inexpensive and i'm sure it helps. Like I said I have had alot of trackers and the Mi reminds me of my Jawbone UP. The problem for me was it does not show you how many steps you have walked, to get that data you need to look at your phone. I know it sounds pedantic; but being able to quickly assess where you're at in your day, really bumps the whole thing to another level.

If your looking for cheap trackers try ebay there are lots of people who sell there after little more than a month for a deep discount. However if you're like "ew cooties" then there are other "inexpensive" trackers with LCD's rather than just ghost dots for visual step count.

I will say that all the trackers boosted my step count between the new novelty of em but also in having data that allowed me to compete against myself. Also I have found them to be less an expense than a IQ test. They work at reducing your weight by helping you visualize your activity and your worried about a few dollars? Well make sure to check out Walgreens because you can add your fitness tracker and earn cash thats right points to real cash to spend in their store. Not $5 when you spend $60 shit just walk earn points heres $5 $10 $15... Log your health info moar points!

The Mi appears to go for about $22 bucks on Amazon so in that same range if you have an iPhone look at the New Balance Body TRNr Fitness Watch $24 on Woot today! It has the LCD to give you step count without the chore of taking out the phone and opening the app. Woot! also has the model just above that for around $10 off what it sells in stores. Yet at that point you are probably better off spending $2 dollars more for the Soleus Go! for $44.

Thats really top end for discount trackers (do not get the Fitbit Zip $50) I would still recommend a used Fitbit One or Fitbit Charge from ebay over anything without a LCD.

Also speaking of investing in you and fitness and woot....

:love:Tee Shirt 6 pack 4 bucks a shirt $22

Fila Performance Crew Neck $9.99 And moar choices

Reebok Shorts $8.995 color choices

:heart:Fila Training Shorts 4 color combos $8.99

And meshy choice for 10.99

:heart:Fila Triumph Fleece Full Zip Hoodie 9.99

Those are great deals on athletic clothing that can cost ludacris money. Buying just the 6 t-shirts and two pairs of the shorts you got 12 gym outfits boom for basicly $45 bucks.

Great deals for athletic gear and equipment too though be mindful for example:

Stability Balls 55cm-75cm 16.99-19.99 respectively

If you are looking for a stability ball 65cm though or unsure which one for the aforementioned you're in luck 65cm stability ball plus adjustable resistance band and ankle cuff for get this $12.99

If you don't have a stability ball thats a great great deal even if you never use the other stuff but you have to think how specific the people have to be for a 75cm ball to pay 7 bucks more :blink:

Last edited:
mmmmm delicious pesticides I love that powdery layer when it just hits your tongue

I've actually had alot of trackers but settled on Fitbit for the community and group challenges. Yes the Mi Band is very inexpensive and i'm sure it helps. Like I said I have had alot of trackers and the Mi reminds me of my Jawbone UP. The problem for me was it does not show you how many steps you have walked, to get that data you need to look at your phone. I know it sounds pedantic; but being able to quickly assess where you're at in your day, really bumps the whole thing to another level.

If your looking for cheap trackers try ebay there are lots of people who sell there after little more than a month for a deep discount. However if you're like "ew cooties" then there are other "inexpensive" trackers with LCD's rather than just ghost dots for visual step count.

I will say that all the trackers boosted my step count between the new novelty of em but also in having data that allowed me to compete against myself. Also I have found them to be less an expense than a IQ test. They work at reducing your weight by helping you visualize your activity and your worried about a few dollars? Well make sure to check out Walgreens because you can add your fitness tracker and earn cash thats right points to real cash to spend in their store. Not $5 when you spend $60 shit just walk earn points heres $5 $10 $15... Log your health info moar points!

The Mi appears to go for about $22 bucks on Amazon so in that same range if you have an iPhone look at the New Balance Body TRNr Fitness Watch $24 on Woot today! It has the LCD to give you step count without the chore of taking out the phone and opening the app. Woot! also has the model just above that for around $10 off what it sells in stores. Yet at that point you are probably better off spending $2 dollars more for the Soleus Go! for $44.

Thats really top end for discount trackers (do not get the Fitbit Zip $50) I would still recommend a used Fitbit One or Fitbit Charge from ebay over anything without a LCD.

Also speaking of investing in you and fitness and woot....

:love:Tee Shirt 6 pack 4 bucks a shirt $22

Fila Performance Crew Neck $9.99 And moar choices

Reebok Shorts $8.995 color choices

:heart:Fila Training Shorts 4 color combos $8.99

And meshy choice for 10.99

:heart:Fila Triumph Fleece Full Zip Hoodie 9.99

Those are great deals on athletic clothing that can cost ludacris money. Buying just the 6 t-shirts and two pairs of the shorts you got 12 gym outfits boom for basicly $45 bucks.

Great deals for athletic gear and equipment too though be mindful for example:

Stability Balls 55cm-75cm 16.99-19.99 respectively

If you are looking for a stability ball 65cm though or unsure which one for the aforementioned you're in luck 65cm stability ball plus adjustable resistance band and ankle cuff for get this $12.99

If you don't have a stability ball thats a great great deal even if you never use the other stuff but you have to think how specific the people have to be for a 75cm ball to pay 7 bucks more :blink:

That stuff is awesome, thanks for the links. I plan on going to Nike Outlet tomorrow for some running/athletic shoes. Hopefully they'll have other stuff for cheap too.

In other news, I went from 250 to 242 lbs. The meal logging will continue, kinda had a ok week...gotta replenish my pantry and bring stuff from home again.

Ordered myself a Fitbit Charge HR. Lack of practically any exercise is really bugging me and I hope this would be an incentive to get me moving more regularly (and keeping a steady pace when moving so I don't burn myself out instantly). After all I like gadgets and data, so...win/win?

At least I haven't gotten any fatter. :rolleyes:

uh, nice! can you tell me (or us) something about the heartrate capabilities of that thing? I was always interested in a tracker that could do heartrate tracking, ideally in close to real-time while working out so i actually get some sort of HR-graph out of it. can the fitbit do that sort of thing? also, would you say it works well and delivers good/reliable results? i've read multiple times that the green LED sort of HR-thingies tend to not work very well once you start sweating, which would basically make it utterly useless for me :D cheers!

What I've read it should be quite accurate when measuring your regular pulse, but while exercising it might be 10-20bpm off. Not as accurate as a chest sensor, but should be more than adequate for regular / not-so-serious use. Suits me just fine because I've always found the chest belts awkward to use.

No idea how the Fitbit software works, maybe I should install it in advance because I should have the tracker by tomorrow.

In other news, I went from 250 to 242 lbs. The meal logging will continue, kinda had a ok week...gotta replenish my pantry and bring stuff from home again.

great stuff keep it up! I hate logging my food but it really works. I hate that it works but it does.

Ordered myself a Fitbit Charge HR. After all I like gadgets and data, so...win/win?

oh this you're going to love it although if I cannot figure out how to use the sleeping data at all.

uh, nice! can you tell me (or us) something about the heartrate capabilities of that thing? I was always interested in a tracker that could do heartrate tracking, ideally in close to real-time while working out so i actually get some sort of HR-graph out of it. can the fitbit do that sort of thing? also, would you say it works well and delivers good/reliable results? i've read multiple times that the green LED sort of HR-thingies tend to not work very well once you start sweating, which would basically make it utterly useless for me :D cheers!

I've been soaked in sweat it still picks it up. I feel kinda ashamed of these numbers because I was traveling in Tacoma for an interview so didn't exercise as much and took it off a bunch of times so that for "fashion" reasons.

So the graph is partially real time I don't think you watch it squiggling away or at least i've never tried. It gives you the bpm on the wrist band so you really want to hit that sweet spot and try to go as hard for as long and when you feel yourself slip check if your still pumping. But hey even on this shitty day got in my fat burn time.

Screenshot_2015-08-08-14-00-05.png

You can also watch multiple squiggles from the week kinda watch for continuity

Screenshot_2015-08-08-13-59-48.png

Raparperi! look for me im J.Smiley!

oh this you're going to love it although if I cannot figure out how to use the sleeping data at all.

I've been wearing it for a few days now and it seems to pick up my pulse quite nicely. Haven't had a chance to go for a good sweaty jog/walk but it did show me burning fat while I was out walking with the kids. I like the fact that it doesn't actively harass you for any lack of activity, it just tells you what you've done and that's perfect for me.

I also tried out the sleep funtion, I guess it needs a few nights to adjust to yourself properly. Apparently my resting pulse is a bit over 50 (I guess that's quite good for someone who mostly sits at his computer) and the graphs do show when I've been restless in my sleep. The duration of the sleep period has been a bit off but it's accurate enough to give me a ballpark figure.

On a side note, it congratulated me on the first time I achieved a 5k steps in a day badge. I accidentally hit the share link and one of the options was to share the badge as a moment in Tinder :-D I laughed my ass off. "Hey baby, check me out, I've walked 5k steps today."

Woooo!! first finalgear fitbit peoples!

I went on a 3 mile walk about 45 min after dinner, bought a candy bar and coke after stopping at the dollar store on the walk. Ate it on the way back.

Projectile vomited 3x ughh