First experiences of using BMW iDrive?

Wyvern

Car(s)
Triumph Herald 1200, in need of arse transplant
I wasn't sure whether this should be in the General Automotive section or here, but as it is a question of sorts, I figured this was the place, so apologies if I got it wrong.

Anyway, I'm currently putting together a dissertation at university on human computer interaction, and iDrive came up as a suitable study option. I wanted to gather some primary data on what it's like to use, especially as words that have come up repeatedly in my reading include "counter-intuitive"* and "overly complex". I also understand that it has a very steep learning curve. Unfortunately, I've not yet had the opportunity to experience it first hand myself, so I'm hoping some of the good people here will be prepared to share their experiences.

What I'd like to know is this:

If you've driven a BMW with iDrive, how did you get on when you first used it?
What problems did you encounter, and were there positives to the experience (surely there must be some positives for them to persist in using it!)? I'm particularly interested in why people keep saying it's "counter-intuitive", because they rarely cite why this should be.

What works well and what could be better?
I am interested in the aspects of the system that users like as well as the things they don't, and I'd also be curious as to how you would improve it.

Have you experienced any similar systems from other manufacturers?
If so, which ones? How do they compare?

It would also be helpful if you could let me know which version(s) of iDrive you've used, but that isn't essential.

Many, many thanks for your time and help :D

*Just to clarify, I'm using "counter-intuitive" to mean "running contrary to what common sense suggests" or "counter to [the user's] expectations".

I haven't driven any BMW, so I can't give you any direct experience. Is there some way you could grab a test drive in a 7-series so you can see what it's like yourself, then you can compare your experience with that of others?

I haven't driven any BMW, so I can't give you any direct experience. Is there some way you could grab a test drive in a 7-series so you can see what it's like yourself, then you can compare your experience with that of others?

There are a couple of problems with that, mainly concerning timescale, but it's certainly something that would help. I'm actually hoping to get my mother to take a test drive because if it meets the criteria for good interface design according to the brief laid out by my lecturer, she should be able to get her head around it despite being a computer illiterate pensioner :)

It is worth considering though - thanks :)

Shoot me up a PM with what you need to know and I'll try and help you out, my parents have iDrive in their x5

I have no problems with iDrive, it's got a hell of a lot more information in it that my honda's computer has

I've driven a 730i with the I-Drive and night-camera.

The real big fault was the unlogical use of two movements to scroll and no real indicator when each is used. You're trying to go through a menu, which generally has many options, by twisting the controller. You choose one, going into the next menu and for no reason the other method, moving the controller into the desired direction, is chosen. Never do both work, just one exclusively. So with each menu you have a 50-50 chance of getting the right one. There is some logic behind it, but it takes a long time to figure it out, so you're always doing everything twice.

This enhanced the second issue, which was a complicated menu structure. You have to go through 3 menues at least to do anything, even choose a different radio station. It makes everything very organised, but overly lengthy.

Last issue was the screen placement. I had a very good driving position but when looking at the screen could never see the road, not even some. And when your progress through the many menues is slow, you're not looking out the front for 8-10 seconds on a regular basis.

It's so bad, I'd almost consider it a journey in itself to setup your vehicle. Not even considering options such as vehicle setup or even navigation changes.

Basically fiddle with it before you set off or keep a passenger around, as it's, in all honesty, too clumsy to be used while driving. And I'm young and good with technology.

The car was very comfortable and the infrared-camera fun, though. :mrgreen:

Thanks, guys, for the feedback - it's really appreciated :)

If anyone else would like to wade in with experiences or opinions, please do!

I used an '06 525i. I tried different things on it, like setting a different station and I couldn't do it. I'm usually pretty good with technology, but this wasn't something I was going to learn to use while driving (someone else's very expensive BMW).

I have driven a new A6 ('07 or '08) and Audi MMI is much more intuitive, as well as having four fixed menu buttons around the selector. I actually was driving and setting up things like automatic door locking at 20 km/h with no problem. The screen position was great too, IIRC it is slanted towards the driver.

I used an '06 525i. I tried different things on it, like setting a different station and I couldn't do it. I'm usually pretty good with technology, but this wasn't something I was going to learn to use while driving (someone else's very expensive BMW).

I have driven a new A6 ('07 or '08) and Audi MMI is much more intuitive, as well as having four fixed menu buttons around the selector. I actually was driving and setting up things like automatic door locking at 20 km/h with no problem. The screen position was great too, IIRC it is slanted towards the driver.

new iDrive implemntations have buttons for the radio stations, actually works like an ipods scroll wheel

For the "simplified" iDrive put onto the 3-series, the Climate Control is moved completely outside the iDrive system, so no fumbling with the knob is necessary to turn on the AC or to blow air. I think that was the biggest complaint about it.

Of course, I set the Climate Control to 20C and Coolant Off, and leaves it like that FOR EVER. Never touched it since.

The stereo FM/AM button, MODE button (which cycles through FM, AM, CD, SAT and AUX), plus a bunch of preset buttons, are underneath the Climate Control, so although you can change what you're listening to through iDrive, you can also hit those buttons.

Once you're listening to FM radio, and you have the presets set up, use the steering wheel Up / Down buttons to cycle through the presets. If you have to manually enter the frequency, well... don't do it while moving, lol.

For SAT, the list of channels are already preset, so hitting the Up / Down buttons will change stations WITHIN THE GENRE. So, for Electronica / Dance, there's 3 channels, and it will cycle through them.

Here's an example of what I have to do in order to make a phone call from my cell phone's phonebook, then go back to the NAV moving map display that was on there before (which is what I always drive with).

Menu button, to the Main Menu.

Push the knob towards the front, to the Communications Menu.

2 choices here, Telephone or BMW Assist (like OnStar). The 1st choice is Telephone so pull the knob towards the back, to access the 2nd sub menu.

Turn the knob to the right to choose how you want to dial (Phonebook, Recent Calls, Number Dial, etc.). Scroll to A-Z to access your cell phone's phone book. Push the knob down to select it.

Your phonebook loads in the 3rd sub menu. Turn the knob left or right to go through the whole list, or you can enter letters to filter through your contacts.

Find the contact you want, highlight it, then press down on the knob. A pop-up comes up to Call or Add Digits (for long distance). Turn the knob once then press down if you need to Add Digits, otherwise just press down to Call.

Now the call connects, and it automatically goes back to A-Z list if the other person hangs up first. If you want to end the call, push down on the knob, then choose End Call in the pop-up menu.

To go back to the moving map display, hit the menu button, back to the Main Menu.

Push the knob to the right for Navigation Menu.

You can choose from Navigation or looking through Points of Interests, but you want Navigation so you pull the knob towards the back to go down.

Next section is for you to enter the address you want to navigate to, and has a list of recent searches. You just want the map so pull the knob towards the back to go down again.

Finally you're at the bottom for the map display option. I like 2D Map Direction of Travel, so turn the knob right to choose that option, then press down to select it. Now you're back to where you started.

Whew. Haven't crashed into anything yet?

Or, you know what? Just hit the Voice Command button on your steering wheel:

"Communications menu."

- "The screen is showing the communications menu." *beeps again*

"Name dial."

*say the name and make the call*

Hit the Voice Command button again.

"Navigation menu."

- "The screen is showing the navigation menu." *beeps again*

"Maps."

- "Map, direction of travel."

Done.

Thank you, Veritable, that is very enlightening :)

As always, the help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know what it's like for you canuks but the voice recognition is crap with aussie accents.

I've driven 335i, 530xd, 730d with iDrive (not the newest version from the new 7-series though) and I was buffled. I usually don't have any problems with new technology but I was really strugguling with the iDrive system.

Yes, the nob is good. You either twist it or move it to select your desired options (communication, entertainment, satnav). Most importantely, you don't have to search around the car for the right button to push. But, even the easiest of functions are impossible to find&set-up while driving, at least if you're not used to the system.

For instance, I wanted to see just my location on the map, with no directions set. Couldn't find it at all (because the menus are in several directions with submenus in each, obviously). If you switch to a new submenu, the previous one disappears and there aren't indications how many submenus are there hidden somewhere in the digital realms of iDrive. Even the BMW salesman who was with me in the car couldn't find the bloody map!

Tuning the radio, with no preferences set, you first have click entertainment, select frequency, tune the desired radio station, and then somehow save it into your preferences (which I didn't get around to figure out:)), but this again requires quite a lot of clicking and twisting.

So, my experience was bit short, but only goes to show how complicated the system is. If you have time to spend like 2 hours in your garage to play around and "learn" the system, then I guess it becomes easier to use.

IMO, BMW needs to get Apple to design the system for them. Although, I'd like to try the newest iDrive in the new 3/7-series.

iDrive is one of the best system BMW has ever invented.

ppl who can't use the iDrive are either 1) too old 2) unfamiliar with modern technology like fancy remote/smartphone etc.. 3) too stupid

I've used quite a few different versions of iDrive and Mercedes's Command system, and they both work flawlessly

I've used the iDrive only very briefly and as far as I can remember I found it quite confusing, but I didn't really have any time to get used to it, though. I use the Audi MMI from time to time and it is relatively ok to use, but I just don't understand why couldn't they combine the knob with a touchscreen, since they charge so much for it anyway. Entering a destination for the satnav with the knob is just retarded.

And again, thank you everyone for your comments. If only I had more time, this could have made an interesting study in itself! And sometimes, it's the little observations that make me think.

I don't know what it's like for you canuks but the voice recognition is crap with aussie accents.

I was wondering about that. Apparently, it's not too great with some regional British accents either.

ppl who can't use the iDrive are either 1) too old 2) unfamiliar with modern technology like fancy remote/smartphone etc.. 3) too stupid

Leaving out the issue of stupidity, which is hard to design around, you've actually hit on something that is central to good interface design. Nobody in the target market for any product should be too old or find it too unfamiliar to be able to use it, and given that a lot of people who buy top-of-the-range BMWs, certainly here in the UK, are slightly older, I would have thought it would have been important to consider that some of the users probably wont have the familiarity with the kind of technology you mention.

OTOH, if you want to use the smartphone paradigm, Audi's interface was developed in conjunction with Nokia, right down to the tactile surfaces of the buttons and the tuning of the click they make. The new Fiesta, at the other end of the market, takes it further, with a console layout that looks just like a mobile phone keypad. Not saying it makes them any easier to use (the Fiesta isn't actually relevant to my study, for that matter - which is a shame, cos it's nice), but the familiarity is instant and obvious.

Anyway, thinking about improvements to iDrive, I do think a touchscreen would help. The system Cadillac uses in the CTS has a touchscreen and when I had a look at that (the chap in the showroom on Park Lane was very, very helpful), it struck me that it did make things a lot easier. Another thing that it sounds like it might benefit from is "breadcrumb trails" - like the one at the top of this page:
FinalGear.com Forums > Automotive Discussion > Questions & Answers > First experiences of using BMW iDrive?
That way the user would be able to see which screens he had been through and might go some way towards addressing the problem Pepitko brings up of getting lost in the bowels of the iDrive.

I've been using it as a passenger in a 5 series several times. Didn't have any problems with it...

For instance, I wanted to see just my location on the map, with no directions set.

For my 2008 version:

Navigation Menu -> 1st row, Navigation -> Pull back on the knob for the 2nd row, Destination -> Skip that, pull back on the knob for the 3rd row, Route Preferences -> Skip that, pull back on the knob for the 4th row, which controls how the map is drawn -> Turn the knob to choose your style of map display, 3D, 2D Direction of Travel, 2D North Towards Top -> Press down on the knob to select.

Just like you, that's how I leave it as well :) Though for the 3D map display, it doesn't show the street names, so I use 2D Direction of Travel at 200m.

I had no problems working with iDrive, except for some places you turn the knob to go left-right, while for other places you turn to go up-down.

Though, I think a very valid complaint is that before, you have separate buttons to do what you want, so once you learn them you can press them without looking. With iDrive's single control, you HAVE to look at the screen to do anything, and that's dangerous while driving.

I admit it, I was mucking about with the M-Drive settings while on the highway, and I took my eyes off the road for far too long. Didn't stray out of my lane, but I came the closest to doing so in my whole life.

A good analogy, I think. Trying to use iDrive without staring at the screen and thus get into an accident, is like trying to use your cell phone with a busted screen. You CAN, but you probably won't get anywhere.