Ford Crown Victoria 1979-2011

800px-Mercury_Marauder.jpg

This thread isn't complete without the ultimate incarnation.

I'd rather have a Mondeo anyway. Or a boat that can actually float.

Still...may the Crown Vic rest in peace.

It's hideous, but a mini-van makes sense. More interior room and easier to walk into.

About bloody time! Maybe now they can clean that dirty factory.

Last edited:
About bloody time! Maybe now they can clean that dirty factory.

They're going to 'clean it' by demolishing it and never building a lesser car there.

Edit: Also, AiR? That's a Canadian plant, so it'd be the CAW. The plant opened in 1967, before the 'open' factory concept became widespread; I'd wager that it's mostly darkness that people are seeing and not really dirty.

Last edited:
That makes sense. By the looks of it it would require a massive amount of work to retool and modernize.

I feel like the Crown Vic was even getting slowly phased out as a cab anyways (perhaps because of its coming end? this has been happening for a few years, though). Nissans and Toyotas (as well as a few Ford Explorers) are becoming more common, as shown in this Street View of Times Square. I don't really ever take a cab because they're expensive and less practical than walking + the subway, but when they eventually go for good and every last one has disappeared from the streets of NY, I think I'll miss them.

What new regulations are they talking about? Pedestrian safety?

What new regulations are they talking about? Pedestrian safety?

Off the top of my head they would need to add five billion air bags, stronger roof and pillars, as well as traction control.

They would also need to replace the engine as the 4.6L is being phased out. The factory itself looks in need of an overhaul (and the machinery may need to be refreshed).

Such an iconic car, both in enforcing the law and paying some one to get where you need to go. I still want to buy a retired cruiser (preferable the boxy 80's CV) and drop in a Ford 302 and manual transmission/running gear. Or go all out with the 351. A sleeper vicky is the best sleeper.

I would like to have a post 03 car with a supercharged DOHC mill of some description. Preferably 5.4.

Off the top of my head they would need to add five billion air bags, stronger roof and pillars, as well as traction control.

They would also need to replace the engine as the 4.6L is being phased out. The factory itself looks in need of an overhaul (and the machinery may need to be refreshed).

The car already had traction control as an option, so that wasn't a big deal. What is a bigger deal is the mandated electronic stability control, the (as mentioned) additional airbags plus ridiculous side impact reinforcements and the new rollover requirements. Another issue is that since the government jacked CAFE through the roof, there isn't really room in the CAFE budget for the car any more.

Last edited:
One of the local Chevy dealers bought in a bunch of those Caprices thinking that departments would snatch them up. All they've been doing is gathering dust - none of the local departments seems interested in them in the slightest. However, I'm seeing the brand new Chargers (with the neat rear lighting scheme) starting to appear.

Yep. It seems like the Charger is the next "Crown Vic" in terms of popularity. Aren't Ford gonna do a Taurus Interceptor? Even if they do, the Charger will probably still be more popular because it's been out for a few years already.

One of the local Chevy dealers bought in a bunch of those Caprices thinking that departments would snatch them up. All they've been doing is gathering dust - none of the local departments seems interested in them in the slightest. However, I'm seeing the brand new Chargers (with the neat rear lighting scheme) starting to appear.

+1

No one wants those Caprices. :lol:

Cities are wanting these:

708525A_04.jpg

Thing is these Chargers look almost as cool and are quite a bit faster, but, I'd still rather have a P71. The Chargers Police units are even starting to appear in the pre-owned marketplace now.

I see Tahoe's and Chargers everywhere around here replacing the P71's. I seriously doubt the Taurus or Caprice will outsell either of these two. The Taurus is too heavy and expensive to repair to be used on patrol and the Tahoe is just as gas guzzling as the Crown Vic to be a viable alternative. Plus the Tahoe is horrid as a pursuit vehicle, too twitchy above 85mph. The Charger is only marginally better in the fuel consumption arena so that maybe isn't the right area to go to. The real replacement should be the Ford Fusion Hybrid in my opinion. Not that expensive if Ford stripped out the 6 disc CD/MP3 audio system with Sync, dual zone climate control and leather which should reduce the price by $4,000 or so. 0-60mph time in the mid 8 second range, which is exactly the same as the outgoing P71. With that price being similar to the Crown Vic P71 and similar acceleration performance it would be a bargain. Plus just imagine how much fuel and CO/2 that would save, not to mention keeping it in the Ford family. Ok, ok, ok that last part shows my Ford bias. :lol:

Last edited:
Yep. It seems like the Charger is the next "Crown Vic" in terms of popularity. Aren't Ford gonna do a Taurus Interceptor? Even if they do, the Charger will probably still be more popular because it's been out for a few years already.

Yes, but historically FWD and FWD based cars have fared very poorly in US police service. The drivetrain/suspension just isn't strong enough and it requires constant maintenance in police fleet service. We'll see about the Taurus interceptor, but I suspect it will be more of the same.

As for the Caprice, I just went past the dealer and thought I would snap some pics.

a6cd0bba-4e06-a027.jpg

a6cd0bba-4e25-b6aa.jpg

a6cd0bba-4e3f-ff9e.jpg

Also, JCE - a couple of departments have tried various hybrids and all of them had the hybrid drivetrain fail early and often. Not suitable.

Last edited: