GM Suspends Chevy Volt Production After Poor Sales

Probably that's because for most Americans the equation is still: High mpg = Hybrid.

When I tell people about the Polo, they don't believe me. "That's impossible."

As I've said a million times, I'll be the first in line if they start offering one here.

Sidenote- I just saw a new Jetta TDI commercial last night, noticed it said 30/42mpg....:lol:

in the same sentence he mentioned how good the sales are...

And he also said "even the europeans love it, and they are a bunch of pansies who don't like any of our other cars"

Well, he didn't say that literally... http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/412158/april-09-2012/bob-lutz

Just mentioning this, before a flaming war starts here ;)

But it's good to see, that the American auto industry seems to have gotten their self confidence and loudmouth behaviour back. Frankly I missed it ;)

Now let's watch them fail again :mrgreen:

Last edited:
So I learned something bizarre and somewhat troubling today with a Volt that came in. The IPC was inop and needed replacement. GM knew about this before we even made the call to Techline about it. And the customer only called us. They are super on top of this car though. ANY tiny issue or customer problem, we have to call them. I guess thats what kind of service you get when the goverment scoops up the bill.

It's a halo car that's closely monitored by the press for technological, (both anti-hybrid and anti-bailout) ideological and power politics reasons. Any customer complaint will be blown out of proportion by some part of the press. Thus it is in GMs best interest to keep every single customer satisfied, whatever the cost.

I'd put you on the "anti-bailout ideological" list from the wording of your comment, by the way :D

In the US, last month the chevy volt outsolt the Nissan Leaf, and the Prius plug-in combined. This is not an opinion-based comment in any way, just adding this information to the conversation.

Volt transmission explained
Detroit, Mich?We've tested the Volt and found that it operates as claimed?with a fully charged battery it behaves like a pure EV and switches to gas propulsion once the battery is depleted. It's in this second, "charge-sustaining" mode where the Volt really displays its technical prowess. GM has finally released all the details about how this powertrain works.

There are two electric motors?a 149 horsepower primary drive motor and a 74-hp motor/generator?and a 1.4-liter internal combustion (ICE) gas engine. All three elements are connected via a planetary gearset.

Planetary gearsets?which are common elements of automatic transmissions?are ingenious devices that have three meshed elements: A sun gear in the middle, a ring gear with internal teeth and smaller planet gears between the two which are joined together by a carrier. Alternating the speed and direction of the various elements changes the ratio between the inputs and outputs.

In the case of the Volt, the main output is the driven front wheels, which are connected to the planet carrier. The large drive motor is affixed directly to the sun gear. The ring gear is where things get interesting.

One clutch connects the ring gear to the transmission case and when engaged, it stops the ring gear from rotating. A second clutch joins the smaller motor/generator to the ring gear. A third clutch combines the engine crankshaft to the motor/generator.

At low speeds and with a fully charged battery, the ring-gear clutch is engaged and the main electric motor routes power to the front wheels. As vehicle speeds increase to about 70 mph, the main electric motor starts to fall out of its most efficient operating range so then two things happen: The ring-gear clutch opens, and the motor/generator clutch connects the second motor to the ring gear. Then both motors power the car.

When the battery is depleted, the operation slightly shifts. Again at low speeds, the ring gear is locked in place via its clutch but now the clutch between the engine and the motor/generator closes, which spins the generator to supply the electricity. This setup is known as a series hybrid because the gas engine does not directly power the wheels.

But the Volt isn't always a series hybrid. Once the speed climbs to about 70 mph, the motor/generator again couples to the ring gear but now?in "charge-sustaining" mode?the smaller electric motor is also affixed to the running gas engine. In effect, the gas engine supplies power directly to the transmission, which is just like a parallel hybrid.

This last mode has caused some consternation because over the Volt's development GM has stated that the gas engine never directly powers the car. While that's not entirely true, there are a few things to keep in mind. The first is that the car can't move solely on the gas engine?if the main electric motor quits, the car will be stranded. Secondly, the engine routes its power through the motor/generator.

In any case, the Volt's technology defines its own new category, a combination of EV and hybrid that defies conventional definition. And as we've experienced, it works.