News: Holden to pull out of Australia from 2016, according to senior Government ministers

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Australia the decline of family sedans and (especially) station wagons has seen a corresponding increase in 4WD sales. The idea that everyone is switching to small and medium hatchbacks is a myth, at least in Australia.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in Australia the decline of family sedans and (especially) station wagons has seen a corresponding increase in 4WD sales. The idea that everyone is switching to small and medium hatchbacks is a myth, at least in Australia.

So basically mirroring the start of the SUV boom of the late 80's through early 00's here. Then the crossover began eating alive BOF SUV's here like those very products ate the full size car market.

I think Stiggie is including crossovers in the term '4WD', which in everyday Australian parlance is basically the term for an SUV regardless of how many wheels are driven or if it is intended to go off road.

I hang my head in shame that the government of my country ever threw money at a company stupid enough to think that this is a good idea. What statistic in the new auto market suggests that anyone will buy these? Is it small? Is it 4WD? Does it have brand cache? Will it be reliable?

Personally, I think General Motors (after it stops local manufacture) should bin the Holden badge ... it doesn't mean anything to any Australian unless it is attached to a (locally built) Commodore and it will not attract people to buy a piece of asbestos-laden, Chinese-made land fill .... if anything, it will probably turn them away.

I heard a radio ad in the car today for Holden. It said, "even though we won't be making cars in Australia, we will still be making the best cars for Australia".

So they're already trying to save their arses when all they have are lacklustre GM Korean badge jobs.

Interesting though, because I don't remember Ford doing any ads like that when they announced their closure.

Plus they have a stronger line up of imported cars which combined with the Falcon's slow sales means their withdrawal won't hurt them too much. I suspect Holden will find it harder to cope when all they've got is a Malibu...

What else does GM have that could replace the Commodore?

Maybe they could decontent and stretch the Alpha platform that underpins the ATS and CTS?

The closest equivalent right now in the US (in terms of class and market reach...the SS does not count) would be the latest Chevy Impala.

It's a excellent full size sedan, one of the highest scoring cars ever in Consumer Reports testing, and has done well overall in other reviews. Only potential issue is its FWD.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...hest-scoring-sedan-consumer-reports/index.htm

Last edited:
Insignia. Its not that much smaller than the Commodore and the Mondeo will probably be Ford's family car after the Falcon is killed off.

I agree with them killing it. Rather a quick and painful death, and 'let's move on'.

Maybe they could decontent and stretch the Alpha platform that underpins the ATS and CTS?

The closest equivalent right now in the US (in terms of class and market reach...the SS does not count) would be the latest Chevy Impala.

It's a excellent full size sedan, one of the highest scoring cars ever in Consumer Reports testing, and has done well overall in other reviews. Only potential issue is its FWD.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...hest-scoring-sedan-consumer-reports/index.htm

it would need to be significantly better than a 2013 impala (2014 is a facelift isn't it?), had one as a rental car in September and it was a hunk of shit (asides from the boot). Also had an ATS as a rental car and that would be a much better replacement

it would need to be significantly better than a 2013 impala (2014 is a facelift isn't it?), had one as a rental car in September and it was a hunk of shit (asides from the boot). Also had an ATS as a rental car and that would be a much better replacement

2014 impala is an entirely different car than the 2013.

It's on a different, thoroughly modern, platform than the old impala who's bones go back to the mid 80's.

2014 impala is an entirely different car than the 2013.

It's on a different, thoroughly modern, platform than the old impala who's bones go back to the mid 80's.

and it's still front wheel drive, so calling it a commodore can guarantee sales will flop

It has been suggested that Chevy might start building the SS themselves in America and export it here as the Commodore.

I'm sure the Holden faithful will love that. A ripped-off, rebadged, outsourced, import. :lol:

Last edited: