Horrible issues with new Cobalts

What, so instead of hearing plastic creaking like in the Cobalt, he can hear his DSG and his wiring slowly disintegrating over time?

What, so instead of hearing plastic creaking like in the Cobalt, he can hear his DSG and his wiring slowly disintegrating over time?

If by disintegrating you mean shifting faster than you can blink and by slowly over time you mean many years of reliability, then yeah.
The only problems I've had with my dub are the hiccups (which only affect the vr6) and tire balancing issues (which I attest to pennDOT sucking at their job).

The Mk5 cars have actually gotten good reliability scores by Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports - who continued to rate Toyotas highly while they were being recalled for rust disintegration, fires, and self-destructing engines.

Not. To. Be. Trusted.

If by disintegrating you mean shifting faster than you can blink and by slowly over time you mean many years of reliability, then yeah.
The only problems I've had with my dub are the hiccups (which only affect the vr6) and tire balancing issues (which I attest to pennDOT sucking at their job).

And calling it a 'dub'. Die in a fire.

(but you're totally right on about PennDOT's utter failure to do anything ever wreaking havoc upon tires, wheels, suspension and steering)

Consumer Reports - who continued to rate Toyotas highly while they were being recalled for rust disintegration, fires, and self-destructing engines.

Not. To. Be. Trusted.

CR is based largely off of customer responses... that should pretty much say it all.

I own a six-speed Versa hatchback myself and have been quite happy with it overall. I would recommend one of those as a basic commuter car.

Not. To. Be. Trusted.

I especially like how they rate a squeaky cup holder the same as an exploding transmission in their reliability studies.

I had a 2005 Cobalt. I bought it new in January 2005. I took delivery of the car January 3rd ? 19h00. I was back at the dealer at 19h15... no heat or vents were working. -11 (celcius) outside. It was written in the dash... -11. They cannot do nothing for me that night. I had to come back home... 30 km at -11 with the window down. Same thing the next morning at -15. It took 3 weeks and 2 dealers to repair the car. After that, the dash starts to look like a Christmas tree. But we were in February. All lights were going on and off randomly. They changed the computer... the radio. After that, the wipers were only working at the highest speed and the back up lights were working as brake lights. Another computer. After that, a lot of small problems, including a third computer and 2 or 3 others radios. I told them that water was infiltrating by the bottom of the windshield. They do nothing about that. When it was raining, my seatbelt was wet. At the end of september, I had to drive loners for 42 days. They spend probably more than the price of the car to rapair it. And the engine was about to die. They take the car back and give me a deal on a 2005 Pontiac G6.

My grand father always had GM cars since Studebaker died. When he died, he had 18 months done on a 48 months lease on a 2007 Pontiac G5. At that time, my father's lease was finished and he were working near home. So he takes the lease to finish it as GM refuse to do nothing to cancel the lease. At 17 000 km, the front suspension is due to be changed. The alarm system is working when it want to work... generally it works at 2 AM when there is nobody near the car. The power steering was changed last week.

Those cars are probably the worst cars GM did after the Aveo (witch is the worst any manufacturer did). Buying a Cobalt is a big mistake.

^ That honestly sounds about right considering the reputation of the Cobalt. I didn't think the Cobalt could possibly be any worse than the Cavalier it replaced, but GM proved me wrong once again.

I figure I should say that the dude in question has decided to just keep his old car for a couple years - a smart move, to be honest - though if I know anyone else considering a Cobalt I'll just send them sicnarf's post I think, yeesh that's bad!

^ That honestly sounds about right considering the reputation of the Cobalt. I didn't think the Cobalt could possibly be any worse than the Cavalier it replaced, but GM proved me wrong once again.

It's yet another GM automotive counterpart to your former Buell Blast. :D Guess what the moral of this story is. :D

That just about every vehicle built in America in the past two decades has been complete and utter crap? :p

I especially like how they rate a squeaky cup holder the same as an exploding transmission in their reliability studies.

Exactly. Which is why I bought a Cobalt, not a Corolla. An intact and working drivetrain is more important to me than electronics and interior trim.

To be honest though, I wouldn't buy any Cobalt older than maybe '07. Not necessarily drivetrain problems, but too many other things.