iPhone / iOS Thread

The option is on the same screen as the passcode settings, if you know how to put a passcode, you'll see the option.

Slight issue with my iPhone 4.. The Home button is annoying. Sometimes it completely ignores me. And that fact that a restart helps for some time makes me think that it's a software issue.. Which is also weird, because it was there on 4.3.5 and it is there on iOS5.

Some of my friends seem to have problems with their home buttons as well on their iPhone 4, it usually works fine when you press it harder so it screams hardware issue!

Well, not so here. Sometimes I can press it all I want, nothing happens, restart it, works perfectly for a while. It's really weird. Anyhow, plan is to upgrade to the 4S, so my girlfriend will be the one battling the annoying Home button :p

Home button is iffy on my iPhone 4 as well, and I hear it's a common hardware problem. Luckily there's a place on my block that will replace it for $40.

Pressing harder works for me for now, so I'm holding off until that stops working. I'm on 4.3.1 btw, although I believe it to be a hardware issue.

My home button has gotten gradually worse on my iPhone 4. I took it in to see if they could do anything about it in the Apple store, but they couldn't and if I wanted a replacement it would have been ?100 for a new phone (I got it on launch day so the warranty is now run out on it). If I press the bottom half of it, it normally works, but if I want to double press it, it is only about a 25% chance of it working.

I have looked it up online and using compressed air into the 30 pin socket sometimes works, I've had limited success with this method, but the method I have found to work is nail varnish remover. Take a cotton bud, put some nail varnish remover onto it and then start rubbing round the home button and pressing it at the same time just to get it to work into what is apparently dirt that is blocking the connection. Just make sure the phone is tilted so it doesn't get into the screen and make sure the phone is off and you allow some proper drying time despite the nail varnish remover evaporating quite quickly.

I've noticed actually that the latest iPod touch home button isn't as smooth as my 2G one, even from new. Feels like it's sticking a little bit.

But how many owners know to do that? How many even knew it was an issue?

Apple should have had Siri disabled when the phone is locked as its default setting, but instead they chose to leave it unsecured. Why?
Well Siri is supposed to be handsfree so it would make sense to not ask for a passcode. For instance if I'm driving and someone sends me a txt and I want to read it pressing the home button is much less of a distraction than having to type in a passcode on a touch screen. While I can actually do it, I prefer not to while moving at any kind of decent speed.

I've had similar home button issues. Sometimes a single "click" will open the multitask menu and double "click" will just send to home screen or just be ignored. If it gets bad you can jailbreak and set different buttons to do different things, a friend of mine had a problem with her home button not working at all so she did a jb and set shake to use as a home :)

Last edited:
I makes sense from a usability standpoint, but not from a security one. It's not a big a deal as some sites are making it out to be since it can be easily turned off, but it still really should be off by default when you turn on the passcode.

should be off by default when you turn on the passcode.
That I can agree with.

Another thing to consider is corporate use, for instance when I add my work e-mail to my phone it tells me I need to set a passcode so I never have to go into the settings.

Perhaps a capacitive button is in order?

I've had more and more issues with the home button aswell. It's really annoying.

Should get my 4S next week anyway :D

So I'm not the only one with a dodgy home button... well the wife's is dodgy too.

Funny how they all seem to fail right around the release of the next model/end of warranty period. :p

Did they switch to gorilla glass on the 4S to stop everybody's screens and backs from cracking all the time?

Home button on my 3GS was dodgy too, had to get it replaced eventually. My replacement played up too, but came good after while. Given the warranty is now out on it, I ink it's just a waiting game. Oh well, getting a 4s soon hopefully if I can get out of my current nightmare of a plan!

Home button is iffy on my iPhone 4 as well, and I hear it's a common hardware problem. Luckily there's a place on my block that will replace it for $40.

Pressing harder works for me for now, so I'm holding off until that stops working. I'm on 4.3.1 btw, although I believe it to be a hardware issue.

Yeah, my home button has been flaky for months now. I wore it out I guess.

So I'm not the only one with a dodgy home button... well the wife's is dodgy too.

What happens when you press it, does she go into the default mode of making dinner or something? :lmao:

Another thing I just thought of... How many parents will be calling their daughters Siri just for the fun of it? :D