It's Seriously Time To Get A New SIARPC Car

VW Polo BlueMotion, the car they love to hate. Heck, they already know how to grow their own fuel for it......

I've said this in some of my other posts, they should do a search for a new reasonably priced car as a challenge, they'd test a whole bunch of cars and choose the "least boring" one.

A lot of the celebrities that come on the show seem pretty intimidated behind the wheel. Imagine they put them behind the wheel of a brand new M3 instead of the current car.

I'm sure the producer would love explaining to the BBC why the budget for this season had to triple because they need 5 M3 transmissions.

In all seriousness, if change is going to happen make it a swift S. Or a sandero. Otherwise it just isn't worth it.

apparently its a 1.8 sdx with 119bhp. the closest mini is the basic copper at 120bhp and thats 13,750 pounds. so it is really starting to get away from the 10,000 pound area.
Well, the Mini is lighter and has a much better chassis. I'm willing to bet the lap times wouldn't go down, even with the 75hp version.

The whole point of the Reasonably Priced car is that it's a bit of a joke, a bit of a laugh. That's why it's been a Sukuzi Liana and a Chevorlet Lacetti. A Mini isn't a laugh, it's a proper car :p

besides the "reasonably priced car" isnt meant to be that good is it ?

would people really want to see it drop to a weaker/slower car ? with the cost of cars now i am guessing a pacific rimmer badged car is what they would have to look at unless they dropped to a slower one.

because the RPC is meant to be an awful car.

Neither the Lacetti nor the Liana could be described as "good" in any way; the Mini can.
Ahh, well in that case, I vote for the Dacia Sandero as well. :p

Dacia_Sandero_f0d97886044470be68495e8be4c4cb6177.jpg

:love:

I've said this in some of my other posts, they should do a search for a new reasonably priced car as a challenge, they'd test a whole bunch of cars and choose the "least boring" one.

Excellent idea!

Andy Wilmann, make it happen!

I'll vote for the Dacia Sandero as well.

I like the Lacetti, because I actually know someone who drives one, and she has mysterious dents in her roof like it was used for a RPC - it's silver though.

I'll agree with the Sandero, though something like a Proton Savvy could be a wild horse contender.

You're all forgetting one thing which is that the Sandero isn't sold in the UK.

While I understand it that they have to buy the car ie it isn't given to them by the manufacturer for promotional purposes the Top Gear effect does exist. The local Suzuki dealer used to be a customer of mine and apparently even though the show was, essentially, mocking the car sales jumped noticably once TG got hold of it and fell off quite dramatically when they switched to the Lacetti.

Can't see them using another Suzuki, but I'm sure they could get some mileage out of a Proton.

One more thing some of you are forgetting: the car should be fairly easy to drive. There would be little point in putting up laptimes for comparison if every celebrity spins the thing thrice a lap. The current and the former RPC tend to understeer, which costs you time, but you can easily recover from it and keep going. Putting in a snappy RWD would destroy the whole idea.

Progressive drivers would spin a lot and ruin their laptime, the snails would just go round and end up at the top of the board. Fun to watch for sure, but that would be about it.

Last edited:
Well, after some hardcore research, the quickest new car I can find that's "reasonably priced" (although slightly over ?10,000) is the Mitsubishi Colt 1.5 Ralliart 3-door Hatchback which has a list price of ?12,848.99. It has 147 hp :)shock:), is turbocharged :)shock:), does 0-60 mph in 7.4 s :)shock:), it weighs only 2000 lbs (a whole 600 lbs less than the Lacetti :shock:), and it sot of looks like a mini-van-like Lancer Evo X! :mrgreen:

Large%20Image%20(optional).jpg

This thing will be quite a lot quicker than the Lacetti.

Last edited:
I did think the introduction segment of the Lacetti was pretty funny, with all the random celebrities and the well spoken man. I have no faith in them to pull something like that off again though.

I agree completely, which is why I am hesitant to suggest replacing the Lacetti before it is no longer sold new on the market.

Good news! ninjacoco wants some Dacia Sandero action, too. :p

There's a car they sold here that looks like the Liana but is called something else (Aerio, maybe?). Every single time I see one of those in traffic, I think, "holy crap! it's the reasonably-priced car!"

Yeah; Liana = Aerio in North America.