Last GM big block engine rolls off the line

It's a dark day in automotive history. :cry:

Wait - is this the final production big-block from the factory? Because (mercifully) GM Performance Parts will still sell you a big-block crate motor, as you mentioned, so it's not completely gone, is it?

No, not completley, but it will no longer be available in production vehicles.

So who's building the Vortec 8100 for RV applications, for example, or is that going away? I couldn't figure it out from the article.

Steve

It's OK, most people with vaginas don't. :p

Mainly because they don't have a penis they feel needs to be extended. :p

Anyway, it's no great loss. There are plenty of other forms of penis extension available. Or so my email tells me. That, and there are still millions of big blocks out in the wild. I'm sure they'll live on for many years to come.

Last edited:
:lol: :lmao:

Clearly you have never driven a vehicle with one! At full acceleration your face hurts from the force of it, you are pinned to the seat and it is hard to breathe. It is like...how do you explain it? Like a living, angry creature that is residing under the hood.

If you like a high revving V12 or what not, more power to you. But you have just GOT to experience a car with a big block Ford, Dodge or GM engine.

Your face hurts from the sheer acceleration, not the size of the engine. Anything over 500bhp will melt your face under full throttle. I don't understand the appeal of a big block engine, because if it's numbers and face melting experience you are after, there are plenty of engines that can do that without the need of a say.. 8 litres of misfire and noise??

Hm... a quick example would be... V10 viper engine v.s V10 M5 engine. Both make similar amount of power, both will melt your face under hard acceleration. But what makes the big block variant more desirable? This is the part where I can't understand.

It's OK, most people with vaginas don't. :p

Grow up, you 12yr old boy.

I have no desire to argue with someone who still enjoys dishing out childish high school jokes.

Last edited:
Your face hurts from the sheer acceleration, not the size of the engine. Anything over 500bhp will melt your face under full throttle. I don't understand the appeal of a big block engine, because if it's numbers and face melting experience you are after, there are plenty of engines that can do that without the need of a say.. 8 litres of misfire and noise??

Hm... a quick example would be... V10 viper engine v.s V10 M5 engine. Both make similar amount of power, both will melt your face under hard acceleration. But what makes the big block variant more desirable? This is the part where I can't understand.

That might be a bad example, the M5 engine has less than 400lb/ft at around 5k+ and the viper had I think 535 lb/ft pretty much everywhere.

I haven't driven either but I can already feel the huge difference.

Torque. A big block will make 500hp. Just like the M5, but the difference is that the big block will also make 700fl/lbs of torque at 2000rpm.

I've never seen or heard of an M5 that can do this:
ivo_wheelie.jpg

(yah ok, light weight frame... I know, but how about in a 4000+ lb car)

sucp_0906_09_z+1963_impala_corvette+wheelie.jpg

Grow up, you 12yr old boy.

I have no desire to argue with someone who still enjoys dishing out childish high school jokes.

Awww, the ickle child can't handle the scary Internet jokes. Go read your books about how to win in F1, superstar. Of course, you should probably wipe that sand out of your vag while you're at it. :lol:

Reactions: TC

2009 M5 V10 507bhp @ 7750rpm 520nm @ 6100rpm

2009 Viper V10 600bhp @ 6100rpm 760nm @ 5000rpm and 680nm @ 1500rpm!

Torque is important. Horsepower is a result of torque multiplied by rpm.
I did pick the 2009 viper engine on purpose because it has all the variable valve timing tricks just like the m5 engine.
Even if you compare the 500bhp version of the viper engine it still stomps all over the m5 in the torque department.

Last edited:
more tributez

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px_uZWmwKxM[/YOUTUBE]

The appeal of a big block isn't just the sheer brute force they have, but also the noise they produce. The low end rumble of a big block is just about the nicest sound in the world.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Uf1JSMKl0[/YOUTUBE]

That's more than enough to make Christine throw a rod and shit her muffler in fear.