Mark Webber blog

^ Still sounds like Hamilton isnt his best friend!!

I got pretty much slaughtered by the British gutter press about what I said on Thursday in China ? in the FIA press conference, but I guess that's what happens when you say something negative about the golden boy.
:lol: ouch

God I just love how Mark writes, he makes me feel like I'm sitting next to him and having a laid back conversation.

Mark is always good at giving a realistic view on situations.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/17102007/58/world-wide-webber.html

Hiya. So we're off to Brazil this week for our annual trip to Sao Paulo. If we can once again cheat death and get to the circuit in one piece through the streets of the city, then it should be an entertaining event.

This weekend I reckon is going to be one of those classic races in Formula One history. Not necessarily for the race itself that will be more tense than classic I'm sure - but for all the stuff that's gonna be up there during the whole weekend.

A three-way fight is pretty cool. It's something I haven't seen for a long time. We're talking way back with Nigel Mansell, Piquet and Prost in Adelaide. I was only ten but I remember it well

I've got a great theory for a result. Whoever wins it, deserves it, but I'd really love to see Kimi win the race and the title. That's my tip. Ferrari to turn over McLaren. Nothing against Lewis or Fernando, it's just what I'd like to see.

I hear there's a scenario where Kimi can win with Fernando and Lewis further back so that they all finish level on points, but Kimi would win the title because he's won more races. That would be pretty cool.

As far as we're concerned, the race looks like it could turn out alright, but I've said that before and nothing's happened. It'll all depend on what we can get done on the Friday. It's always pretty key that.

The last few races we've done pretty well as a team. The unusual conditions have helped us for sure, but even so our speed in regular dry weather has been enough to get us just inside the top ten whereas before we were just on the fringes

Like I've said, we and by that I mean David rather than myself- benefited from strange weather in Asia to get a pretty big haul of points and so we go to Brazil only four points behind Williams.

Even four points will be hard to score because we're fighting for probably seventh places if there's no drop-outs in the top cars. It could have been even more difficult, but BMW Sauber seem to have really dropped the ball since Turkey and I just don't know how or why. It doesn't matter really. It helps us.

As for Williams, they have a new man in the car in Kazuki Nakajima. I was surprised to see Alex Wurz call time still with a race to go, but there you go. One more career ends, one more begins.

What do I think of Nakajima? Well he's young and typically Japanese, very similar to Takuma Sato when he first made it into Formula One. That's about it really. He's been fast but error-prone in GP2, he's done okay in testing for Williams.

Hiya. So we're off to Brazil this week for our annual trip to Sao Paulo. If we can once again cheat death and get to the circuit in one piece through the streets of the city, then it should be an entertaining event.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

x2 :lol:

I just like how he starts with Hiya, then goes into the fact he might die :lol:

Not really a blog entry, but a story on the Mark Webber Challenge which began today. It's a shame Heikki Kovalainen couldn't make it.

Webber ready for next adventure.

Fri 16 Nov, 02:10 PM

Red Bull ace poised to tackle wilds of Tasmania.

Absent from the recent Barcelona group test, Mark Webber is not exactly idle and enjoying life back on the farm at home in Australia.

Instead, the Red Bull Racing favourite is welcoming adrenaline junkies to Cradle Mountain Chateau, where competitors - including Olympic swimmer Michael Klim and athlete Tatiana Grigorieva - are gathering in anticipation of the latest Mark Webber Pure Tasmania Challenge, which will push them to limits around some of the island's most picturesque regions.

Competitors will be given the race brief on Saturday [17 November], outlining the 450km course they will tackle over the next seven days. However, while maps are provided, race director Tim Saul has ensured that navigational skills will be put to the test during each 80km daily leg. Saturday's prologue will set the start times for the remainder of the event as well as giving competitors a chance to gauge their own form and fitness against the rest of the field.

Webber, a keen adventure racer, teamed up with Ford Performance Racing V8 Supercar driver Steven Richards in a mini 'urban Challenge' to promote both his own event and the coinciding V8 Supercar Falken Tasmania Challenge at Symmons Plains on Thursday, taking on V8 drivers Cameron McConville and Paul Dumbrell and a team of local firemen amongst others in front of 750 primary school children.

In just under eight minutes, the competitors underwent a series of fire-drills - including donning a fireman's jacket and helmet, racing down the field to unroll a fire hose which then needed to be connected and, once successfully hooked up to the barrel, competitors had to drag a fully-weighted mannequin around the fire truck back to the start line to tag their partner.

The V8 drivers got a great start, but with some dubious tactics by Webber while behind the fire truck saw the F1 ace come out in front and cross the line some ten metres in front of McConville. The tactics did not fool the local heroes, however, and, despite a 30-second handicap, firefighters Adrian Adam and Charlie Watson emerged as winners.

Although unable to attend this year, Renault F1's Heikki Kovalainen is expected to compete in next year's Challenge, while rumour has it that a number of other F1 drivers are keen to come down under to race Webber off the track - even if the Aussie's home-grown advantage would have to have him down as favourite.

Follow Webber's progress in Tasmania by logging onto www.markwebberchallenge.com and selecting the Tenzeng tracking site to watch 'live' as competitors thrash it out.

Source

I forgot all about this!!! I saw him down here last year when I was drunk as a skunk. Will try and meet him this year.

I forgot all about this!!! I saw him down here last year when I was drunk as a skunk. Will try and meet him this year.

That would've have been pretty cool, did you have a chat with him?

Haha no he was driving a Range Rover......I was off my head but I swear it was him!

Mark Webber column

By Mark Webber

Hi, I'm Mark Webber. I race in Formula One for the Red Bull team and I'm going to be BBC Sport's columnist this year.

I'll be writing a series of articles for this website, as well as working for other areas of BBC Sport.

Hopefully, I will be able to provide you all with some insight into what happens behind the scenes in F1, as well as share my thoughts on other areas of world sport.

It's hard for people outside the sport to understand that, for us, to come sixth or seventh is really good

It will not surprise you to know that I am really looking forward to the new season, which starts in my home country Australia on Sunday 16 March.

The Red Bull team have been working hard through the winter, and we are reasonably happy with the progress we have made.

We are still some way behind Ferrari and McLaren, and probably BMW as well, but we expect to be pretty competitive in the group battling for the other points positions.

Along with a lot of the teams we will be competing against, we have closed the gap to the top two by about half a second over the winter, although we are still around 0.7-0.8 secs slower than them.

Cannot play media. Sorry, this media is not available in your territory.

We've been consistently third or fourth quickest around the two tracks in Spain where most of the pre-season testing takes place, but that doesn't really mean a great deal.

It is so close in that group involving us, Williams, Renault and maybe Toyota that it is going to be a really tough season to get in the points week in, week out.

It is hard for people outside the sport to understand that, for us, to come sixth or seventh is really good. Even though that sounds a bit conservative, that is our goal. For us, that's like winning a B-class race.

McLaren and Ferrari are on another level in terms of power and performance, so the top four positions - and probably the top six, with BMW - are locked away.

Consistency is going to be the biggest thing that transforms our season this year compared to last.

We lost so many points last season just because the car stopped - my team-mate David Coulthard and I didn't finish 14 races between us. So if we can get that down to a maximum of four or five then it will make a big difference.

I'd like to find out whether I can operate on Kimi Raikkonen's level for a whole season

We have done some good work on reliability over the winter, and we seem to be in much better shape than we were last year.

As is the case for all the teams at the start of a season, though, there are some small things that we are a bit concerned about that could affect our chances of getting a good result.

It does not matter at the end of the day if there is a hole in the side of the gearbox or a small leak in a pipe; it still comes down to the same thing - not finishing.

As drivers, we are all going to have to work harder this season to make sure it is not our mistakes that lead to problems.

The ban on traction control this season won't affect the competitiveness of the individual teams, but there will be a few more DNFs in terms of driver errors.

There will be little mistakes here and there on the way into and out of corners. In mixed, greasy conditions, it could make a big difference.

And in very wet races, life is going to be very difficult for us - the cars and engines have developed in such a way that they are very difficult to control in the wet without traction control.

All the drivers are a bit concerned about that - it's going to mean some very difficult decisions if we have a race as wet as in Japan last year.

That race was looking set to be my best of the season - I was in second place before I was taken out by Sebastian Vettel while the field was running behind the safety car.

That would have been the best result of my career, so I was pretty annoyed about that.

Of course, my aim ultimately is to win races in Formula One, and I would be very disappointed if I was not able to do that if I was given a Ferrari.

There was a bit of a lovers' tiff between Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso last year and I think it could get even more fiery this season

But whether I could operate at Kimi Raikkonen's level for a whole season is another question, and that's what I'd like to find out.

If you are in the position that Kimi is in, and Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso were, then you really find out where you are.

I have beaten David fair and square, and he has won Grands Prix, so that is satisfying for me. That gives you a bit of confidence, but the best drivers do find the best cars.

I was given the chance to go to Renault or Williams a few years ago, and I made the wrong choice in going to Williams. You have to make the right decisions to put yourself in those positions.

Most drivers are incredibly even but just like any sport, it is about consistency, the guys who can do it week in, week out.

That being the case, it looks like the championship this year is going to be a fight between Kimi and Lewis Hamilton.

At the moment, Ferrari seem to have McLaren covered for pace, although McLaren look pretty quick in qualifying trim.

There was plenty of spice last year, a bit of a lovers' tiff between Lewis and Fernando Alonso within the same team - they couldn't be managed together in that environment so they are in separate teams for this year with Fernando going back to Renault.

I think the championship could be more fiery this year. It could actually get nastier in terms of the battle on the track because the gloves are off as two of those players are in different teams.

Fernando can take the fight to Lewis - as there is a bit of friction there, whereas Kimi is the sort of guy who just gets on with it. It could be fascinating.

Renault are not at the same pace as Ferrari and McLaren but I think every now and then Alonso will put the cat amongst the pigeons. He won't win the war, but some of the battles could get juicy.

Nevertheless, Ferrari are definitely favourites for this weekend - they always seem to have an advantage in Melbourne, so I think they'll start the season pretty strongly.

And hopefully Red Bull and myself will have something to celebrate on Sunday evening as well.

Source - With a video for UK residents of Mark giving a guide on the RB4.

Looks like Mark will be writing for BBC Sports this year, this is his first column which he wrote before the Australian GP, an interesting read.

Some good writing from Webber there.

I've always liked him, a great bloke. Pity that the car he drives is always giving him trouble : (

Mark's latest column and he answers some questions from fans.

Mark Webber column

By Mark Webber

My Red Bull team have had an up and down start to the season but we're pretty happy with the two points I got for seventh place in Malaysia on Sunday.

We had a bad race in Australia, where neither I nor my team-mate David Coulthard finished, and the Malaysia weekend did not get off to a good start.

It was a busy race - I had Lewis Hamilton just behind me for most of it, and Fernando Alonso in the last stint

David had a suspension failure on Friday - the adhesives in his carbon-fibre steering arm failed, and then the suspension came apart when he hit a kerb on his way off the track.

That came after Australia when my suspension broke following the lightest of touches on the first lap, and David's then fractured after he was pitched into the air by Felipe Massa's Ferrari.

On top of that, I had an engine failure on Friday in Malaysia, so it was a very difficult day, and if you'd said then we'd get two points, we'd have taken it!

But the good thing is the cars ran very well in the race, which is a booster for the factory and a little pointer to Formula One's governing body, the FIA, that we are going in the right direction for them.

There has been a slight modification to the pushrods, which should address the problem, and the FIA seems to be happy after they asked the team for a report into the safety of the cars in Malaysia.

Mark Webber holds off Lewis Hamilton during the Malaysian Grand Prix
Webber had to withstand heavy pressure throughout in Malaysia
Qualifying was strong for us - I was eighth fastest before being promoted to sixth when the McLarens were penalised.

That put us in a good position, and then I had a good first lap, getting up to fourth, which helped lay the foundations for the result.

We knew we couldn't take the fight to Ferrari, McLaren and BMW. And Jarno Trulli's Toyota was obviously strong, which was a little bit surprising.

But it was a busy race - every lap I had someone within a second or so of me, with Lewis Hamilton for most of it, and Fernando Alonso in the last stint.

You have to be very accurate with your braking points when you have guys that close, to stop them having a sniff.

No-one's going to pass you in the middle sector of the lap, so you basically have to concentrate on getting a really good exit out of Turn 14, the penultimate corner on to the first of the long straights. I knew that if I did that, no-one was going to get past me.

Lewis was definitely quicker than me, but it wasn't like warp speed, he wasn't all over me. And in these cars it's so hard to follow. He has to wait until I get on the power and once I am, I'm gone again. Even if he had 6-7 km/h advantage on the straight, that's not enough to get close.

Ferrari had an edge on performance over McLaren in Malaysia, and I can see that continuing

We had a bit of a fuel pick-up problem so we had to over-fill the car at the second and third stops, so that affected our pace a little bit towards the end.

It would have been nice to come out of the pits ahead of Nick Heidfeld's BMW and compromise his run to the flag.

Instead, it was Fernando behind me. He's pretty tough, but he didn't have the same top speed advantage that Lewis had and I knew as long as I stayed on my line he wasn't going anywhere. So we're happy with two points.

There were a couple of retirements ahead of us, but we weren't lucky this weekend. Nevertheless, it's very tight in that midfield group, and it's very easy not to score points.

The team has a lot of work to do on the performance of the car because if we don't keep adding performance items to it we are going to go backwards.

I was pretty spot on with my predictions for the various teams' competitiveness in my first column. Ferrari had some reliability problems in Australia, but they had an edge on performance over McLaren in Malaysia, and I can see that continuing.

Red Bull's suspension has caused concern in the first two races
Behind the big two or three teams, it's going to be tight again in Bahrain next time out.

Getting into the final qualifying session is a challenge, and what's going to make the difference between us, Williams, Renault and Toyota is how consistent we are from circuit to circuit. And that's going to be down to race engineering and the car and understanding the venues.

Off the track, there has been a bit of discussion about Lewis not being involved in the Grand Prix Drivers' Association. And the first thing to say is that it has been blown totally out of proportion.

Because of his position in the sport, everything is put under the microscope, and given time I believe he will want to be a member.

The GPDA is an important organisation. I'm one of the two directors of it, along with Fernando, while Pedro de la Rosa, McLaren's test driver, is the chairman. Our job is to represent the drivers in discussions with the FIA on safety issues - circuit design, safety cars, driving in the rain and so on.

It is good for us to be involved in these discussions, because we're the ones driving the cars. We know what we're going through out there. We have a voice and it is an important one.

It's not a big deal that Lewis isn't in the Grand Prix Drivers' Association - I'm sure he will come in eventually

Although it would be great to have Lewis there, at the moment it's not a big deal that he isn't. He's not the only one - Kimi Raikkonen, Adrian Sutil and Anthony Davidson are also not members.

There's no doubt that if Lewis and Kimi, as the two guys fighting for the championship, were in it, it would give us a bit more cement under our feet, but I'm not too worried about it.

It doesn't make it any more difficult to get things pushed through, but it would give us a bit more unity.

We have a lot of respect between the drivers and we have come up with some good ideas. And our relationship with the FIA race director Charlie Whiting has never been better.

Kimi's not interested in that sort of thing, that's just the way he is. But Lewis is a different character and I'm sure he will come in eventually, and when he does, he'll be happy to get involved.

Mark Webber was talking to Andrew Benson

YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

What did you think of Patrick Head's idea to reverse the grids to spice up the show?

I can see his point - it's very difficult to overtake, and for Lewis in Malaysia stuck behind me, for example, it is so frustrating.

Tiger Woods doesn't have to tee 30 yards further back because he's playing better

But I was a bit disappointed by the specific suggestion. There are lots of things we can do if we want to do that, but that's absolutely full showbiz. A lot of damaged cars. Good for the fans and good TV.

It's such a big subject - how far do you go to help the show? If you have the fastest cars at the front there's not going to be a lot of overtaking. In the '70s and '80s it was easier to overtake, but with these cars it's very difficult.

Tiger Woods doesn't have to tee 30 yards further back because he's playing better. It's like the ballasting you get in other categories of motorsport like touring cars. It works pretty well, but it's so hard for the punters to understand - [World touring car champion] Andy Priaulx's driving round with 40kg more ballast than the guy in front of him.

One of the best ideas I've heard is maybe the races should be a bit shorter. A Grand Prix should be a grand challenge, but maybe they are a bit long-winded.

Given Lewis's seat at McLaren last season, what would you have done? Would you have challenged Alonso at every opportunity? Or would you have deferred to Alonso?
Ed Bone

If you find out quickly that you can operate at the same level pace-wise, then you grab the opportunity with both hands. It is to his credit that he did do that. When you are at this level, it is suicide not to do that if you have the pace to do it. And if I could operate at his level then of course I would have done it.

Who do you blame for what happened in Japan last year, when you were taken out of second place by Sebastian Vettel while following Hamilton behind the safety car?
Ed Bone

Well, Lewis has admitted he didn't do a great job behind the safety car. He was accelerating and braking very inconsistently, trying to look after his brakes, and that's what caught Sebastian out. So both of them together obviously.

Sebastian Vettel (left) takes out Mark Webber in the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix
Webber (right) blames his retirement in Japan last year on Vettel and Hamilton
It caused a bit of a chain reaction. I was sitting beside Lewis thinking, well, when are you going to go again? Because the safety car was a long, long way away. And Vettel came in. It was probably triggered by Lewis, but Vettel obviously did the job in terms of not concentrating.

What do you want to do when you stop driving?
GordonMurray

Probably a bit less travel. I love sport, so I'll definitely be involved in something to do with sport, but what sport I don't know. It could be a possibility to remain in car racing in some way. But I like to see people testing themselves, backing themselves and having a go. That's why I do adventure races such as the Tasmania Challenge. I get great satisfaction from that.

What do you think about general direction of F1 and the increasing standardisation of the cars?
autounion

F1 has been the absolute pinnacle for so many years, and it still is. Over time they have continued to clamp down on lots of things. It is still the cutting edge of technology in terms of getting a car around a track but I don't want the sport to become too basic. I want engineers to still be able to push themselves and have some unique ideas to have quick cars. We need to keep that in F1. These cars are leading edge, and they are great to look at.

What do you think about Bernie Ecclestone pushing Australia to have a night race or risk losing their Grand Prix?
Chacor

It's going to be very difficult to hold a night race there. You're talking about 80 acres of parkland. You've got to remember there are 150,000 people walking around. It's not like a city like Singapore where you can just light the track and the rest of the city is lit anyway because that's what happens in a city at night.

A park is not lit up at night to that extent, and the amount of lighting they would need to have 150,000 people walking around safely is very challenging.

I hope we can continue to make it work with the times we have now. Bernie is very determined to look after the Europeans in terms of viewing and we need to work as hard as possible to keep the race there. If it is a night race I'd be up for that, but I don't see it working.

How does it feel to be the only Australian on the grid and have the pressures of the whole nation on your shoulders?
Saints19

I'm proud. I have the Australian flag on my suit and the Australian coat of arms on my helmet and I'm proud to race with those every time I get in the car.

Every now and again I do think it would be nice to have someone else to spread the load a bit in terms of the press and the interest when I am in Australia. I like the feeling down there. It's a very difficult sport to understand but a lot of fans follow it and the support I have is great.

What is the state of Australian motorsport and are there any prospects for anyone following you into F1?
GordonMurray

We have such a big carrot in Australia in the touring cars. It it is very easy for the youngsters to slide into that competition because it's at home. It's comfortable and they earn a reasonable living from that. That's good.

But I would encourage more youngsters to have a crack at coming overseas and getting through the junior categories in Europe as best you can and try to follow your dream and get to F1.

It's incredibly tough, and then keeping your seat, that's when the fun really begins - you've got to deliver every single race. It's a competitive business. There are a few guys in Formula Three and coming through. We'll see.

Source

Thanks for keeping us updated with the blog.

+1 rep for you.

Wasn't sure if anyone else was all that interested in the blogs anymore, good to see that there are...I'll keep you all updated with future editions. :)