Mass Effect 2

You mean like Gears of War?
Yes.

I put about an hour into the game so far, and it does not give the same "amazing" vibe that the original did. Graphically, the game is gorgeous, and the voice acting is top notch for the NPCs.. however many of the dialogue choices you get sound forced and unnatural from Shepard with overemphasis on DEMAND ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION.

Remember the simon-says match-the-color-to-hack system?
Gone. Now it's this bullshit matching system. Hacking datapads now involves matching this colored segment of code (which there are about a dozen different types) while scrolling. Random segments will kick you out and deny you access to the pad without any warning if you hover over it.. You do get unlimited retries, but it may take you up to a dozen times to get the goddamn thing.

Hacking wallsafes/crates/doors involves matching symbols that are covered up by a dot- you need to align a cursor directly over them, find the symbol, then match the points within a timelimit. STUPID.

Also, the character migration from ME1 is ok, but there are quite a few restrictions;
You start out as level 5, transfer a maximum of 150,000 credits, and get about 10k-100k worth of mineral credits-- so finding caches and exploring every destination in ME1 is quite valuable.

Now regarding the combat system, you do need to duck and cover quite a bit. Gone is the aim-anywhere-and-cause-damage system as in ME1, replaced with a full-body damage system. The aiming is much more precise and requires a bit more thought.. and ammo is not unlimited anymore, so you need to conserve your shots. Below really isn't a spoiler, but it discloses information about your first enemy/target;
Your first targets/enemy is a generic robot thing, which can survive many bits of damage to itself. If you shoot its legs/torso, it will crawl on the ground towards you until you shoot the head-- but shooting the head(headshots are fantastic) will result in a instant KO.

For those that are replaying ME1:
Make sure you explore everything. It will assist you in ME2 to a degree.

So I've been doing a bit of reading...

Is it true that the game has been simplified and dare I say, "consolized"? I'm hearing stuff about no inventory, limited exploration options (all missions are linear-ish), most of the supposedly touted "choices" from the first game don't really matter in the end (except the Council one), etc.

Also, I heard there was a Tali romance, however the conclusion to that is just so unsatisfactory (they don't even show her face with the mask off).

So I've been doing a bit of reading...

Is it true that the game has been simplified and dare I say, "consolized"? I'm hearing stuff about no inventory, limited exploration options (all missions are linear-ish), most of the supposedly touted "choices" from the first game don't really matter in the end (except the Council one), etc.

Entirely true. The decision is the one that has large ramifications during the game..

Remember getting out in the Mako and discovering minerals?
Minerals are now mined through the galaxy map, so you do not get to go exploring different planets. You have to drag this damn cursor across the planet, and when the scanner hits peaks, you send a probe that you have to purchase. Those minerals are then used to get upgrades for the ship, or "research" weapon upgrades.

Oh, and your free-ride traveling between galaxies is over.
You have to purchase fuel for your ship.

Here is the plot summary so far;
The alliance is in shambles with the council, and the reapers are headed by Darth Vader to harvest materials to build the Death Star. And Dumbledore dies after winning the PGA tour.

If you import your ME1 character, can you change the class? I wanna keep the biotic/soldier class, but train for assault rifles.

What if you unlocked talents in ME1 via achievements? They don't carry over into ME2?

If you import your ME1 character, can you change the class? I wanna keep the biotic/soldier class, but train for assault rifles.
Yes, same with change the appearance of the character.

The first assault rifle you get is terrible, but once you get to a certain point within the first couple hours, you get an amazing one-burst-kill gun.

I do miss my insanely powerful 1-shot-kill-at-any-distance shotgun from ME1... :(

Oh, sweet! Now I just gotta figure out which class combines soldier and biotic like I want. I read that if you get the deluxe copy (which I did), you also get a code for the codex thing which unlocks the good gun and armour. But I suppose you have to build up your character to a certain level before you can use it properly.

Last edited:
Bring on next friday!!!!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2O-0-fQOOs[/YOUTUBE]

And a few more hours in, the game really is repetitive. Run, Cover, Shoot. Run, Cover, Shoot. Run, Cover, Shoot, die. :(

Your negative waves are killing the vibe man.

Your negative waves are killing the vibe man.

Don't worry. I'm a few hours into the game too and I'm enjoying it a lot. If you liked the first one you will like this one too ;)

Yeah, same for me. The most effective weapon in the game, the assault rifle and your aim circle is half the screen. For ME2, I'm reclassifying as a Soldier with lift ability.

doesn't work for me...

edit: just looked at the comments over at ign, seems they've already taken it down :(

Last edited: