McLaren's appeal set for Nov 15th

It was the wrong decision. Lewis would have given the championship to Raikkonen anyway. This just shows how unfair the FIA is.

I dont think anyone really expected McLaren to win. It seems to me to be an impossible decision but the only one to take if Raikkonen was to remain champion, which I think is probably the dominant factor in the decisions of the court.

I agree.

It was the wrong decision. Lewis would have given the championship to Raikkonen anyway. This just shows how unfair the FIA is.

Lewis would still be recorded as the official world champion though, which in my view would mean handing the championship to Kimi would mean nothing.

Why don't you consider the fact, that extra 5 degrees in fuel temperature doesn't really give any advantage?

Why don't you consider the fact, that extra 5 degrees in fuel temperature doesn't really give any advantage?

And McLaren having Ferrari's dossier didn't really give them an advantage.
I don't see why they couldn't follow my previous idea. Exclude the 4 offending cars but not promote Hamilton's finishing position. That way everyone is happy (apart from Williams and BMW obviously). I'm pretty sure they have done that before.

Williams BMW fuel error confirmed

Following a thorough investigation, we can today reveal the result of the Williams and BMW fuel scandal.

Malmesbury Motors have confirmed that Mrs Helen Williams, a housewife from Swindon, recently filled her BMW with diesel instead of unleaded, landing her with a huge repair bill.

Said garage owner, Craig Stinchcombe, ?This happens a lot, people are forever putting the wrong type of fuel into a car and it?s left to us to help them out?.

The result of the inquiry is not expected to affect the result of the F1 World Championship, though Mr Williams is said to be rather unhappy.

Source

:lol:

Is that a fact? Well, if 5 degrees isn't an advantage, then neither is 10 or 15 or 30. Correct? Zero times 10 is still nothing, right?

I don't care about who's wrong & who's right, Ferrari won both champs, which i wouldn't have considered a possibility a year ago after Michael announced his retirement.

There's no proof, that 5 degrees extra fuel temeprature is a speed/performance advantage, it doesn't matter if there's at 15 or 20 degrees extra, because they overstepped the limit by 4-5.

Since there's no evidence/proof of possible gained advantage -> there's no advantage -> Failed Appeal. That's how the law works, you killed a man, but there was no evidence found, so, legaly, you're not guilty.

Last edited:
Is that a fact? Well, if 5 degrees isn't an advantage, then neither is 10 or 15 or 30. Correct? Zero times 10 is still nothing, right?

Several articles that I've read have cited F1 engineers as saying the performance benefit would be about 1sec total if the cooled gas was used at each pit interval.

No. Don't ask for sources, I'm lazy.

I don't care about who's wrong & who's right, Ferrari won both champs, which i wouldn't have considered a possibility a year ago after Michael announced his retirement.

There's no proof, that 5 degrees extra fuel temeprature is a speed/performance advantage, it doesn't matter if there's at 15 or 20 degrees extra, because they overstepped the limit by 4-5.

Since there's no evidence/proof of possible gained advantage -> there's no advantage -> Failed Appeal. That's how the law works, you killed a man, but there was no evidence found, so, legaly, you're not guilty.

If there is no advantage, why is there such a rule in the first place. McLaren were found guilty of possessing Ferrari IP, but they weren't found guilty of using them for advantage. Yet they still got a harsh penalty.

The least they could have done is given a financial penalty just like they gave one to McLaren in Brazil for Hamilton's tyre inconsistency even though he gained no advantage.

Last edited:

Doesnt matter whether they derive an advantage or not. Fact of the matter is that both BMW and Williams raced with fuel that was outside of the regulations. The limit is 10C below the ambient temperature given by FOM. The temperature of the fuel recorded at each Williams and BMW pitstop was found to be between 23C and 25C, outside the limit of 27C.

It does provide an advantage. Colder fuel flows into the tank quicker and produces more power as it warms up.

kekekeke said:
McLaren were found guilty of possessing Ferrari IP, but they weren't found guilty of using them for advantage. Yet they still got a harsh penalty.

Exactly. They couldn't prove McLaren had used the data to their advantage but gave them a penalty anyway. They say they couldn't prove that Williams and BMW actually had cooler fuel but chose to ignore all evidence proving they had. I know they're different cases, but it screams of injustice.

Last edited:
The FOM temperature readings were pretty obviously wildly inaccurate. Just think about the track temperature they gave, which was in the vicinity of 60 degrees Celsius; not even in ultra-hot desert tracks like Bahrain the temperature hasn't soared over 60. That's where the doubt over the temperature came: the teams' weather men gave temperatures which would place the fuel in the tanks in the legal limit.

The FOM temperature readings were pretty obviously wildly inaccurate. Just think about the track temperature they gave, which was in the vicinity of 60 degrees Celsius; not even in ultra-hot desert tracks like Bahrain the temperature hasn't soared over 60. That's where the doubt over the temperature came: the teams' weather men gave temperatures which would place the fuel in the tanks in the legal limit.

^ Which would mean Williams and BMW were innocent after all. I mean the weather man gave them a certain temperature reading and they just used it exactly as they supposed to. :rolleyes: