MX5/Miata Thread

MX5/Miata Thread

• Total voters
I'm about to get a new set of tyres to go on my new 6ULs. The decision came down to the Kumho KU31 ('performance oriented' road tyre, not as grippy as the KU36/XS but a set will cost me AU$120/corner. The alternative is a set of Dunlop Star Specs imported from the US (yeah it's cheaper to do that than source them in Australia...) which, after shipping and mounting/balancing, would set me back AU$225/corner.

Any thoughts? I plan to track the car a fair bit, but I'm very much a novice and would be learning track driving. I also only drive on weekends.

Yeah that's why I'm looking at a set. US$460 for tyres, US$344 for shipping, AU$40 wire transfer fee, AU$40 mounting. Kumho XS KU36 would cost about $210/corner from Australia, so for only $10 more per corner I figure it's worth it to go for imported star specs which by all reports seem to be a much better tyre. It's a shame because the kumhos used to go for about $160/corner but they've gone up to over $200 in only a couple of years.

Any thoughts on the Kumho SPT? I could get a set for half the cost of the star specs, but am I right in thinking its not worth it for greatly reduced grip?

Last track event I did, I was keeping up with an S2k on star specs. Though he was on factory springs and dampers (rules limited to them, but he did have sways), vs my coilovers. He had plenty more tire and power to outrun what I had and I was running the Kuhmos. Before anyone states driver... he's far more skilled than I at driving.

That's kind of what sold me.

I ended up ordering the Star Specs. Just after my payment went through to Tire Rack I found a place that would sell the Kumho XS cheaper than what I'd found (I rang about 15 places) which would make them about $30/corner cheaper than the Star Specs (at $225/corner), but it's done now. I know I'll be happy with them.

I don't drive that much (maybe 6,000km/4,000miles a year) but when I run the Star Specs down I'll have another look around at the Kumhos and whatever else is around by then.

Looks awesome!

Wait, there was a California edition of this car sold in europe? lol.

What do you mean? You didn't get the MX-5 Great Britain Edition in California? The one that had it's own micro climate around it? :p

I was looking into Sunburst yellow cars when I was looking into getting my car fixed. The body work was going to cost more than most NA's do so it would have been cheaper.

I'm glad I didn't. That color car is just way too rare and too light.

Last edited:
I constantly have this problem with both of my cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I constantly have this problem with both of my cars.