My money pit

Jeepin

Car(s)
89 Jeep Wrangler V8
Hey Y'all. now some of you may not like it or even understand it But I put 6 years of blood,sweat, and alot of $ into this thing. I hope you understand the love that goes into any vehicle someone builds.

attachment.php

now to the spec sheet:
89 Jeep Wrangler body and frame (whats left of it)
6.0L chevy small block a few upgrades,around 350hp
4-speed Chevy truck transmission
4linked suspension with sway-a-way coilovers (not just for road racers;))
axles are a dana 60 front and GM 14bolt rear from a chevy truck
tires are 42in Super Swamper TSLs on beadlock wheels​

I'll work on getting more pics. my PC crashed so I got to get on the trails and take more pics but its a thirsty little pig at $4.50/ gal.
Feel free to comment :cheers:

Actually, we have quite the offroading crew on these forums, not just in the US but some Australians too, if I recall correctly. Sweet rig! Looking forward to some action shots.

Actually, we have quite the offroading crew on these forums, not just in the US but some Australians too, if I recall correctly. Sweet rig! Looking forward to some action shots.

well thats good to know, as for the action shots, I'll get some as soon as I get 'er fixed there was carnage last time out. broke an axle shaft, the locker and sheered teeth on the rear ring gear. lesson learned no climbing under cut ledges at 4k rpms in 4lo:lol:

Nice rig. What kind of locker setup are you running?

Very nice rig.

You broke the ring gear on a GM 14 bolt?!? :shock2:
That takes some serious skill right there :p

Yes the ring gear is hard to break but it was a chain reaction really, first the shaft then the locker and that shot bits of metal all through the carrier. as for you question tomcat the rear locker was a detriot need a new one now still undecided at the moment, up front is an ARB.

Definitely a badass rig you got there.

As long as you don't have one of those irritating "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" stickers I see on stock Wranglers driven by sorority girls, then it's all good.

You know, most people let off the skinny pedal when they hear the first bang :p

As for a new rear locker, I would stick with the good old tried and true detroit. I have one in the rear of mine.

Definitely a badass rig you got there.

As long as you don't have one of those irritating "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" stickers I see on stock Wranglers driven by sorority girls, then it's all good.

Nope the only sticker on it that can be seen really is one on the passenger side dash board that says "Hold On and Shut Up!":mrgreen:

Good to see another off roader in its natural habitat. I thought some of the guys in the local Land Rover club had some extreme rigs but yours trumps them all when it comes to outrageousness!

Sweet ride! :drool:

You broke the ring gear on a GM 14 bolt?!? :shock2:
That takes some serious skill right there :p

That's what I was going to say.

Nice rig, I bet it stomps around like no other, although I have to say, that's not how I would've done up a Jeep. To each their own. Still love it though!

PS. I'm working on getting sothing with a T-case.... my Elco is cool, but I like the mud too much! :lol:

Basically I built it once with the original 4.2L straight 6, leaf sprung and 35" tires but I quickly found its limits and got sick of replacing dana 30 axle parts. so when I was swapping axles I figured why not do suspension and things snowballed on me:D I'm thinking of changing a few things. I want to redo the front fenders, add some more tube and possibly paint it. If I keep breaking axles, next will be 2 and half ton rockwell axles from a duece and a half military truck.

Heres a pic of the first go around
8d59c32f.jpg

Last edited:
found a few of my carnage pics from another site

Whats left of the detroit
attachment.php

Close up of the same
attachment.php

axle shaft
attachment.php

wider shot of axle shaft. note the twisiting break running the length
attachment.php

Ouch, that looks an expensive fix!

Good to see you use it and not just for dropping kids off at school - Chelsea Tractor not!

/EDIT For information: Chelsea Tractor derogatory slang English for an SUV.

Last edited:
It wont be too bad. Axle shafts are easy I always carry spares on trail rides so I'll use one of those. New Ring and pinion will be about $400 and the new locker will be about 500. Now I just gotta find the time, right now its on jackstands with no tires or internals in the rear axle.

Chelsea tractor? Never heard that term, similar to grocery getter? no room for kids (dont have any) as theres no back seat. that space is for tools, spare parts and the most important thing of all the ARB 12v trail fridge.:D

Is it even still street legal? :p

Technically no. Hydraulic steering being the main reason. its registered but not inspected. I rarely street drive it because the hydro steering can be a little unpredictable at speed and even with a sway bar it has massive body roll. first time I out I nearly flipped it trying to light up the tires coming around the corner back to my house. didn't expect em to hook up so good :) plus the brakes leave something to be desired trying to whoa down 42 inch tires