Need a Police roadblock? Use civilians!

Round up the posse!

Seriously, so it's too dangerous for police to peruse them, but let's use civilians without (allegedly) telling them what they are in for? The f**k?!?!?!?!? Get the freaking spike strips out if you don't want the guy going into the city!!!!

A few people have tried to defend it with "what if head gotten into the city and hit/killed someone?". Again, the police (again allegedly) left people unaware and in their cars when making the roadblock. Yes, hitting somebody in the city by chance is horrid and should be avoided, but a sitting duck set up by the cops? 100 times worse. IMO....

After the civilians sue the hell out of them, they'll think twice about it

Afaik, police also creates traffic jams on the autobahn, to stop bad people instead of following them too close.

Hm, seems like civilians may have been told. But obviously didn't have a choice.

It goes beyond just having your car totalled too- I would have been off work (at my own expense) for days without transport, behind at uni, missing out on events I had planned to attend, etc. I guarantee any police/gov't reimbursement wouldn't cover that...

And although I am loathe to the prospect of a litigious society, I would be one of the first in line for a class action.

Edit- idk, I think the main issue with this one is the way they utilised the civilian vehicles. From reading on other Aussie forums, the police cars were used to initially slow the guy down (but not create an obstacle/roadblock), and the civilian cars were strategically placed so they did create a roadblock-one that somebody would have to "smash" through to get past. Given the police earlier called off the chase for the guy's dangerous behaviour, I think it should have been reasonably foreseeable that this guy wasn't going to stop for a bunch of cars stopped all per the road...

Last edited:
New Police tactic : the Bogan Block, involves loads of Bogans and some visiting Chavs strategically placed in an unruly throng. ...

So they called off the chase earlier because it was too "dangerous"? Dangerous for who, the police? But once they were able to put innocent lives in danger, they started chasing again?

Sounds like a nice group of cowards...

A question for Australians: Do you have a large number of articulated lorries/semis on your roads?

If so, IMO it would've been much safer to make a roadblock out of those, because the nutter will only embed himself in the steelwork at the back end. Obviously you don't select trucks that have a cargo of propane bottles. Even then it's still a stupid thing to do, which insurance company will be paying for the damage? The nutjob who crashed in to them might not have had insurance.

Also I wonder if they were trying to increase the charges against him by making him hit civilian cars...

The police in charge were on the radio and said the risk of somebody getting killed was higher if they let the guy continue.

This was incredible reckless to leave people in the path of the road like that. Why did they not unload the people from the cars and get them off the road?

Where were the cops stop sticks? They would of blown his tires and he would not be going anywhere fast on flats.

:bangin::idiot:

This was incredible reckless to leave people in the path of the road like that. Why did they not unload the people from the cars and get them off the road?

Yeah they asked him that too, but there was no time. Because of how it all happened, they thought the way to go was to block the freeway and just let him stop. If the offender would have gone further down the freeway, he would be in a major risk area or whatever.

The policeman on the radio wasn't even admitting it was a huge mistake.

Seems like Officer Bruce should stop drinking fifteen pints of Foster every watch.