notarzt.jpg
thats no police car.. its a emergency vehicle

swiss police car:
t_002_65_820.jpg

rootrider said:
Carsightings said:
the american po;ice cars are really cool! :shock:

doesn't matter.. they're still only meant to go in a straight line :wall:

please tell me you are joking. we all know that these days american cars can power slide around croners at high speed and at lower speeds they can take them perfectly.

Crown Vics, probably the most numerous american police vehicles, are used because they are decently strong. Im not sure if it is the same every where else, but in a police chase the goal is just to stop the car that you are going after, basically just make sure that it doesnt get out of site. that way others can cut him off, or just ram him if they are close enough. if the car does get away, there are always helicopters :mrgreen:

bartboy9891 said:
Crown Vics, probably the most numerous american police vehicles, are used because they are decently strong. Im not sure if it is the same every where else, but in a police chase the goal is just to stop the car that you are going after, basically just make sure that it doesnt get out of site. that way others can cut him off, or just ram him if they are close enough. if the car does get away, there are always helicopters :mrgreen:

Really? I always thought they used crown victorias because they are american-made and there is a strong lobby group ,making sure ford keeps selling them... ;)

Lusitano said:
Really? I always thought they used crown victorias because they are american-made and there is a strong lobby group ,making sure ford keeps selling them... ;)

doesn't seem to be helping :lol:

seriously.. yeah, they can handle alright. But the american police cars (crown vic's mostly) don't tend to match up well against a good sports car, touring car.. or whatever. A good driver in a bmw would likely have an easy time beating a crown vic around a track, if that means anything.

That said, Ford has obviously proven that they can make reasonably reliable fleet vehicles. Just look at how many of the taxi's, ambulances, panel vans, police cars, etc. are all Ford's (rangers, crown vic's, whatever). I've driven as a courier off and on over the past few years, and each time it's been in a Ford fleet Ranger or Van. They require maintenance like any car does, but they do pretty well considering. The ones I'm usually driving are at or above 200 thousand miles.

So yeah, it's pretty reasonable to say that they're chosen as police cars here in the US both because they're an American car company and because they've stood the test of time over and over again. There are obviously better choices outside of the US market, but these do work. .. They just aren't sports tourers :D

rootrider said:
Lusitano said:

doesn't seem to be helping :lol:

seriously.. yeah, they can handle alright. But the american police cars (crown vic's mostly) don't tend to match up well against a good sports car, touring car.. or whatever. A good driver in a bmw would likely have an easy time beating a crown vic around a track, if that means anything.

That said, Ford has obviously proven that they can make reasonably reliable fleet vehicles. Just look at how many of the taxi's, ambulances, panel vans, police cars, etc. are all Ford's (rangers, crown vic's, whatever). I've driven as a courier off and on over the past few years, and each time it's been in a Ford fleet Ranger or Van. They require maintenance like any car does, but they do pretty well considering. The ones I'm usually driving are at or above 200 thousand miles.

So yeah, it's pretty reasonable to say that they're chosen as police cars here in the US both because they're an American car company and because they've stood the test of time over and over again. There are obviously better choices outside of the US market, but these do work. .. They just aren't sports tourers :D

Panther platform cars are generally used because parts are cheap, the engines are dead reliable, and they're RWD torque monsters. They're freaking boats, but they are used to muscle cars around. The point of a police vehicle isn't to chase fleeing cars - they're more likely to be used as a roadblock than an interceptor. You can outrun a CV pretty easily, but you can't outrun a Motorola.

Photographed at 24.01.2006, in Amriswil, Kanton Thurgau, Switzerland

Typical Swiss Police Car. Volvo Kombi:

volvo01.jpg

volvo03.jpg

Under the black part is an red LED-Info-Display
volvo05.jpg

Same car, next day:
volvo07.jpg

Greetings, lip

^i always taught the dick was supposed to be on the underside of the horse :mrgreen:

- Kantonspolizei SG, Rorschach Police Station, Switzerland
- February 06, 2006

http://img117.imageshack.**/img117/9898/clip019ox.gif

Greetings, lip

Ahhh - I've got to find my photos of the Saab 900's in Vail, Colorado... Funny.