Problem connecting my tv and desktop!

sriforspeed

I've been connecting my TV and desktop using a s-video port.
After connecting, os is booting and just before the start up i get a message "No Signal".
I've tried several times changing the resolution but facing the same problem.

Plz help me out.

what kind of graphics-card do you use?
ati or nvidia?
have you tried to enable the second monitor/TV in your display-settings?

So you can't boot your OS at all?

Well you need to start the machine up using a normal monitor and enable the S-video. It is not designed to be used as a monitor plug, and will be de-activated every time you turn your PC off. I suggest you use a normal monitor, and if you're really desperate to have a TV as your monitor, get one with HDMI and get a DVI-HDMI adaptor. :)

Matt

I'm using nvidia 7300gt as the graphics card and XP professional as the OS.I didn't find the option to enable the second monitor.

So you can't boot your OS at all?

i can but i get the problem when i connect it directly to TV or projector.

Well you need to start the machine up using a normal monitor and enable the S-video. It is not designed to be used as a monitor plug, and will be de-activated every time you turn your PC off. I suggest you use a normal monitor, and if you're really desperate to have a TV as your monitor, get one with HDMI and get a DVI-HDMI adaptor. :)

Matt

I guess i have to buy that if the problem repeats:(

Last edited by a moderator:
To enable the TV you have to plug it in after the PC has booted, fire up the Nvidia control panel and look in 'multiple displays' (or something like that, it's been a while since I used TV out), select 'clone' with the TV and monitor. Something like that, will look more closely when I get home.

Yep, use clone and set the screen you want to watch video on as the primary. Works great.

Yep, use clone and set the screen you want to watch video on as the primary. Works great.

But you can't use the PC with only the TV out working. That's what the OP is trying to do.

To enable the TV you have to plug it in after the PC has booted, fire up the Nvidia control panel and look in 'multiple displays' (or something like that, it's been a while since I used TV out), select 'clone' with the TV and monitor. Something like that, will look more closely when I get home.

I'll try it out..

Maybe viper was right, maybe it is possible to set the TV as primary after loading up the machine with both displays, then disconnecting the monitor, leaving the TV.

But you can't use the PC with only the TV out working. That's what the OP is trying to do.

Nope it is absolutely possible, Viper's way would work. I used to run an XP based media centre with an nVidia card for a while :) I got a similar setup with my Ubuntu based desktop :)