R.I.P. to 14 cars and trucks for 2012

Maybe, but I think I just got a quote from a dealer on a 2011 RX-8 R3 (MSRP $33k) that amounts to well under $20k (depends on how much he valued my trade-in). Still trying to work that out :blink:

I smell a post your car thread in the future....:p JK

I understand the Aussie Ford Falcon was killed; Taurus is Ford's large car world platform now. Maybe that decision has been changed, but thats what the blokes in the TGAus forum have been saying.

Goodbye Dakota. A small truck with a V8? Hell yes! Guess I'll keep driving mine and be on the look out for the 5.9L Shelby Dakota.

Ranger too? I understand the logic, but these trucks were huge sellers, hard to fathom in many ways.

HHR gone? Good!

And the Crown Vic gone. Now only the Charger remains as a large V8 RWD car. Sign me up for the 6.4 Hemi and give me a damn 6 speed, and the future's so bright I'll have to wear shades.

I understand the Aussie Ford Falcon was killed; Taurus is Ford's large car world platform now. Maybe that decision has been changed, but thats what the

What? I doubt Ford will kill the Falcon, they sell too many of them. Plus they can platform share with the next generation Mustang.

I understand the Aussie Ford Falcon was killed; Taurus is Ford's large car world platform now. Maybe that decision has been changed, but thats what the blokes in the TGAus forum have been saying.

Goodbye Dakota. A small truck with a V8? Hell yes! Guess I'll keep driving mine and be on the look out for the 5.9L Shelby Dakota.

Dakota: A V8 'midsize' pickup truck that cost more than V8 powered full size trucks from the same company. And made less power than the V6 powered compact trucks it was competing against. :p

Ranger too? I understand the logic, but these trucks were huge sellers, hard to fathom in many ways.

Word is that there might be a Ranger replacement in a couple of years.

And the Crown Vic gone. Now only the Charger remains as a large V8 RWD car. Sign me up for the 6.4 Hemi and give me a damn 6 speed, and the future's so bright I'll have to wear shades.

The CV was the last body-on-frame V8 car, so that entire category is gone now.

I've driven several RX-8s, and while they are a blast on a backroad, it's really not an enjoyable car to drive if you actually need to go places.You really have to coax it along to get anywhere. It's at odds with the car's design, because it really would be a very easy sports car to live with as its designed. Lots of space, big boot, and you can actually fit grown humans in the back. I'm not kidding you though, driving the RX-8 down a freeway and trying to pass in the left lane actually has caused me stress. You rev it and expect power to come on, and it never really does. Ever. I'm more confident in a Prius.

Last edited:
I've driven several RX-8s, and while they are a blast on a backroad, it's really not an enjoyable car to drive if you actually need to go places.You really have to coax it along to get anywhere. It's at odds with the car's design, because it really would be a very easy sports car to live with as its designed. Lots of space, big boot, and you can actually fit grown humans in the back. I'm not kidding you though, driving the RX-8 down a freeway and trying to pass in the left lane actually has caused me stress. You rev it and expect power to come on, and it never really does. Ever. I'm more confident in a Prius.

4th gear does the trick. :dunno: The highway is one place where I don't feel a lack of power. What you don't get is anything at all from a standstill.

Pretty much every afternoon when I'm waiting for the bus some guy with an RX-8 floors it past the stop. I, for one, would be sad to lose the sound of a rotary to stringent regulations.

It's only beat by the guy with the Maserati 4200GT who does the same.

I am honestly surprised that the Honda Ridgeline isn't on the list. Last year they only sold about 16,000 Ridgeline "trucks" and I think this year is even lower. Compare that to the Chevy Colorado, which moved over 24,000 vehicles in the same time frame.

I just don't see the appeal of the Ridgeline, it has a 3.5L V6, the same as a decent sedan but only puts out 250 bhp (15 bhp less than a three year old Taurus) and 247 lb/ft (compared to the 281 lb/ft in the XTerra). It only gets 1 mpg better than my XTerra on the highway. The towing capacity isn't great either, a crew-cab Frontier can tow 1,100 lb more than the Honda and it still has 4 doors and a bed you can actually use.

Plus it seems like every time I see a Ridgeline it's being driven by someone who couldn't decide if he wanted to drive a carbage rice rocket or a bro-dozer - so he combines the worst driving habits of both.

I am honestly surprised that the Honda Ridgeline isn't on the list. Last year they only sold about 16,000 Ridgeline "trucks" and I think this year is even lower. Compare that to the Chevy Colorado, which moved over 24,000 vehicles in the same time frame.

Apparently it is still around so it can fill out the minimum production volumes needed for the related Pilot.

4th gear does the trick. :dunno: The highway is one place where I don't feel a lack of power. What you don't get is anything at all from a standstill.
I can still do it in 5th... my friend's Z accelerates well enough to overtake in 6th....

I'll miss the Elise and the RX-8 the most, along with the lolvos. My friend's S40 was kind of a fun little car to drive. And no lolvo wagon in the US? That's just...wrong.

{ sigh }

I need an Elise. Isotope green. With "MOO" plates. Yep.

I'll miss the Elise and the RX-8 the most, along with the lolvos. My friend's S40 was kind of a fun little car to drive. And no lolvo wagon in the US? That's just...wrong.

According to what I've read, it will be "no lolvo wagons anywhere" not just in the US.

There will, but only in the XC form.

According to what I've read, it will be "no lolvo wagons anywhere" not just in the US.

Volvo just launched V60 so that's one new Volvo Wagon (even if it's ugly and probably doesn't have much of space) and the old V70 is still going strong in Europe. Even the old V50 is for sale, but I'd expect replacement pretty soon. So it's only US that will get only the XC70 version of the V70 and nothing else.

From what I heard about the Falcon, it cannot be easily modified to become LHD. Maybe the next gen as it will be the base for the next Mustang.

old models couldn't be but the new models supposedly can be (my tax dollars paid for it...) when they retire the I6 for the V6 then it should be fairly straight forward