Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Question - I'm about to clean my cone air filter (there is a sticker on the bottom side of the hood that says K&N filter, but the filter is BLUE...I've never seen a blue K&N).
I am thinking about saving the $20 for the recharge kit. Here is why - I already have original K&N filter oil. All I'm missing is the...shampoo or whatever it actually is.
So, would it be a good idea to just wash the filter with water and then apply the oil? Or should I spend the $20 on the kit?

I'd think it would have the brand stamped into the rubber somewhere. I think there is a filter called Cool Blue or something that is sort of a K&N immitator.

I've never been in USA so I don't know what are the best-selling cars but the most part of the sedans of '80 and '90 that I know looks so bad to me. They look like cars without any sign of stylish and passion.

I don't want to offend anyone, there are cars like Crown Victoria, Chevrolet Impala Caprice and Buick Park Avenue that looks great but I can't understand that brands like Lincoln makes cars like this:

96_lincoln_mark8.jpg

Last edited:
That Lincoln Mark VIII looks terrible in red... the LSC in black looks pretty good, though.

I always liked the wedge grille and trunk of the Mark VIII... but it looks terrible in red.

Mark VIIIs have nice motors 4.6L DOHC 32V. Same engine in the 2003-2004 Mach 1s and the 1996-1998 and 1999-2001 Cobras. They also had airbag suspension.

Mark VIIIs have nice motors 4.6L DOHC 32V. Same engine in the 2003-2004 Mach 1s and the 1996-1998 and 1999-2001 Cobras. They also had airbag suspension.

There's one I commonly see at the community college around here kitted out for dragging. Serious exhaust, slicks, etc. Looks really rather mean. It's black.

I do like the mark VIII, even if they're shitty cars.

Out of curiosity, what is the general quality of a 1999 Chrysler Concorde. I think I may have just inherited one. :blink:

It is NOT a Concorde, it is a Ford CONTOUR. Someone who does not know cars told someone else who does not know cars (mother) it was a con-something. I had to name off cars till she picked one and it was wrong. :?

So how terrible is a 99' Ford Contour?

I don't remember them looking like that. Were they really that boring then? First gen I remember was this:
2000_ford_contour.jpg

Last edited:
I don't remember them looking like that. Were they really that boring then? First gen I remember was this:
2000_ford_contour.jpg

That was the facelift, which actually sold worse. Mostly because by then everyone knew the UAW had screwed up the Mondeo and wanted no part of it.

Good: Base design was good for the day, as it was the first-gen Mondeo. Not bad to drive if you could put up with the Fail Wheel Drive.

Bad: Built by the UAW and deliberately sabotaged on the assembly line because they didn't like building a "furrin" design. Quality among the worst seen in the class in a decade or more.

Last edited:
You are such a nerd :p

I have a friend like you. He bought $10 pens and not just one, whole slews of them :?

Not to keep dragging this off topic, but:

The only ~$10 pens I have are these which are all Chinese and of ok quality. These are all in the $20-30 range (you'll also note, they're all >45 years old, and have actual >14k gold trim and nibs [save for the stainless steel one on the end]) Going higher still these ones are in the $50-90 range, and are better performers overall. Then my two most used non desk pens (the most used is a desk pen version of the one on the far right of the previous picture which belonged to my great grandfather) are these which were $110 and $365 respectively. The Montblanc 149 and Sheaffer PFM I brought up in the earlier post would be $400-700 depending on used versus new ($900 for a 75th anniversary edition with the diamond in the cap and rose gold trim) and $150-300 depending on trim and version respectively. Now, these ones are all my for fun pens, and ran me $7, $10, 99?, $55, and $12 from left to right. Oh, and here are my inks for these pens, they vary in price from $6 a bottle up to about $17. :lol:

Note: Yes, I am a pen nerd. As I get older and have more money to spend, I will most likely be the same way with cars. :|

It is NOT a Concorde, it is a Ford CONTOUR. Someone who does not know cars told someone else who does not know cars (mother) it was a con-something. I had to name off cars till she picked one and it was wrong. :?

So how terrible is a 99' Ford Contour?

If it is in good shape it should be a good car. If it is an SVT there is no excuse to not get one.

I've never been in USA so I don't know what are the best-selling cars but the most part of the sedans of '80 and '90 that I know looks so bad to me. They look like cars without any sign of stylish and passion.

I don't want to offend anyone, there are cars like Crown Victoria, Chevrolet Impala Caprice and Buick Park Avenue that looks great but I can't understand that brands like Lincoln makes cars like this:

96_lincoln_mark8.jpg

I like the looks of the front end of it quite a lot, but the rear end is just meh.

2000_ford_contour.jpg

In Europe, they were sold as Ford Mondeo. Nice to ride in, but most of them have... slight reability issues.

Yeah, there's a reason that you just don't see the US ones any more....

I need 193.500 euros to pay for the Audi R8 5.2 I just configurated.

Can someone help me out? I would allow you to touch it from time to time.

In Europe, they were sold as Ford Mondeo. Nice to ride in, but most of them have... slight reability issues.

Dude, those things are so epic comfortable! A friend of mine's grandparents have one, and it's like an old sofa, you can just chillax in it forever.