Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The chances are higher, yes. I don't remember hearing more than a couple of stories of Hennessey seriously screwing over anyone who lives here, but there's TONS of stories and documentation about what he's done with out of staters' money and vehicles.

Supposedly that's been taken care of. But, still I could see how that could still happen.

If you had to choose between a Charger and the SS, would you go for the charger? The problem I have with the Charger is Chrysler's terrible habit of sharing interior parts between 15,000 cars with the likes of the charger. You see the same radio, HVAC controls and dash buttons you would find in a mini van or Patriot/Compass. They don't even try to hide it. When I step into a big V8 sedan, I expect there to be some things that make it feel different. While the SS isn't impervious to interior parts sharing, it does a better job at displaying the same things you'd find in a Cruze. But, at the moment, I think GM's interior parts are of higher quality then FCA's, which is silly because I bet the same factories make FCA and GM interior components. I know Ford and GM's dash panels on some cars are made in the same plant next to each other by the same people.

Last edited:
Supposedly that's been taken care of. But, still I could see how that could still happen.

If you had to choose between a Charger and the SS, would you go for the charger? The problem I have with the Charger is Chrysler's terrible habit of sharing interior parts between 15,000 cars with the likes of the charger. You see the same radio, HVAC controls and dash buttons you would find in a mini van or Patriot/Compass. They don't even try to hide it.

As long as the controls and buttons are of acceptable quality, I don't see how this is a problem - especially in this end of the market. This means that you will be able to find replacement parts cheaply for decades after your warranty has expired and there will be much support for it in the aftermarket. Partsbinning is fine as long as the parts in the bins are good.

When I step into a big V8 sedan, I expect there to be some things that make it feel different. While the SS isn't impervious to interior parts sharing, it does a better job at displaying the same things you'd find in a Cruze. But, at the moment, I think GM's interior parts are of higher quality then FCA's, which is silly because I bet the same factories make FCA and GM interior components. I know Ford and GM's dash panels on some cars are made in the same plant next to each other by the same people.

Component quality isn't just determined by what subcontractor builds it, but the design of the object and the quality of materials that go into it. Case in point is Lear Corporation. They make a *lot* of seats for Detroit marques and they range from horrible Chevette seats to great seats put in the Vette, many on the same lines. They supply GM, Ford, Peugeot/C?tr??n, Mercedes, VW/Audi.... And yet the seats (obviously) are very different.

In this case, IMHO with the SS, GM made some 'different' parts for it instead of raiding the parts bins - and they cut corners on them to make it economical on a small production run.

The Chrysler 300C may be your cup of tea then. it's like a Charger but more....grown-up

I encountered a person who has invested themselves in the age old Big Three rivalry. Refused to believe GM or Ford could ever make anything better than Dodge in any respect >.<

It was like talking to a wall.

My cousin is like that. It doesn't matter what car-related comment, article or photo I post on FB, he posts a photo of some red-necked-up Ram pickup with exhaust stacks, lifts and lights. Good lord, the lights.

Last edited:
My dad is a Chevrolet man, he defended the Aveo and said he wanted one in red. This may be part of the reason why I'm looking into the possibility of importing a blue CVPI. Surely I can find paint that looks electric blue in the sun and black in the shade. :D

My dad is a Chevrolet man, he defended the Aveo and said he wanted one in red. This may be part of the reason why I'm looking into the possibility of importing a blue CVPI. Surely I can find paint that looks electric blue in the sun and black in the shade. :D

Can't quite get it to be that bright in sun, but there's the Mercedes Benz Dark Blue of 1985 - Merc paint code DB904 or Dupont code W8766. A friend of mine has a Model T and that's always a big thing for them - modern reproduction of the T's "Midnight Blue".

More here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/277414.html?1332517099

605.jpg

The day I send for one of those fuckers is dawning ever closer. And a good thing too or I'll have to be forced to import a pre-199X model :|

Last edited:
As long as the controls and buttons are of acceptable quality, I don't see how this is a problem - especially in this end of the market. This means that you will be able to find replacement parts cheaply for decades after your warranty has expired and there will be much support for it in the aftermarket. Partsbinning is fine as long as the parts in the bins are good.
I'm with you here, it was one of the reasons I got my Z, pretty much everything is shared with the rest of Nissans/Infinitis so parts are real easy to get and ton of aftermarket options.

I also I think I might have found my leak, looks like the weather strip wasn't re-installed correctly when they replaced the windshield the first time around and when I ripped it out the other day I put it back in the same way. Discovered by looking at the door right after rain and saw how the water was channeled. Still think I should get new weather strips just in case.

- - - Updated - - -

My cousin is like that. It doesn't matter what car-related comment, article or photo I post on FB, he posts a photo of some red-necked-up Ram pickup with exhaust stacks, lifts and lights. Good lord, the lights.

I have a lady at work like that, she is all about Chevy and was actually hating on me for considering a Mustang. I asked her to give me an example of a 2 door 2+2 RWD manual coupe from Chevy and she couldn't come up with an answer.

I have a lady at work like that, she is all about Chevy and was actually hating on me for considering a Mustang. I asked her to give me an example of a 2 door 2+2 RWD manual coupe from Chevy and she couldn't come up with an answer.
Does the Camaro not have back seats?

It might, but who the hell would buy that? :p
I have no idea, but it is a 2 door, RWD coupe that can be had with a manual and is made by Chevy, no? :p

My foreign eyes quite like the look of the Camaro to be honest. i understand it's not supposed to be the best thing to drive though.

I have no idea, but it is a 2 door, RWD coupe that can be had with a manual and is made by Chevy, no? :p

My foreign eyes quite like the look of the Camaro to be honest. i understand it's not supposed to be the best thing to drive though.

True, guess she forgot? I do like the way they look myself, though I prefer the Challenger in the looks department.

I have a friend at work who defends that his Fiat-built Dart is the "best-built small car in america" and that it is supremely reliable.

He's an idiot.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Basically, but I'd like it to have that effect where it looks black in the shade. Otherwise I'd just go for the lovely electric blue Toyota's selling at the moment.

Toyota-Hilux-Blue-Car-Tuning-hd-wallpapers-motion.jpg

Basically, but I'd like it to have that effect where it looks black in the shade.

I once bought a Jeep Wrangler in the evening that I thought was black. It wasn't until the next morning that I walked out to a dark purple Jeep. It turns out that it had a shitty Maaco black paint job that was too thin to totally cover up the hot-pink Jeep, which was proven once I found the Maaco mirror-hanging job tag, and then once I folded my windshield down, the paint at the hinges cracked, exposing the original color (which was also visible in the areas of the dash and windshield frame hidden while the windshield was upright.)

I have a friend at work who defends that his Fiat-built Dart is the "best-built small car in america" and that it is supremely reliable.

He's an idiot.

We have a member here on FG that basically makes the same claims despite having to lemon law his Dart. :p