Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

The FIA has been the one running the show from the beginning though and they are - well - a wee bit French me thinks. The British may have all the teams, but the rules are made over a nice helping of frog, snail and a bucket of nasty red wine ;)

but the brits have been doing track racing since 1907, when the rest of europe just discovered inter-city racing and later changed to closed road-courses

So... Ferrari reacted like a football team in trouble: They fired the trainer.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula1/27023145

Manager. The word you are looking for is manager. (or coach to the US english part of the population)

Aaaaanyway this brings up a few thoughts.

First and foremost why now ? Sure this has been a long time coming and I personally have been wondering why di Montezemolo didn't sack Domenicali two years ago ? In my eyes he has never seemed what you would call an authoritative figure, bordering on pushover. Now I know you can not and should not draw conclusions based on interviews and what is seen on television (I've never met the guy) but comparing the evidence I have to my own findings in the field of business (and other) administration, he never quite seemed to be cut out for it. He never carried the same sort of....credibility as say Ross Brawn did while wearing the same colours.

I just don't get what they could possibly achieve with any of this now - this should've been done a) before the start of the LAST season so that the new guy would have had a hand at developing the team with the current rule set or b) bring him in to work with/under Domenicali, learn the ropes and then make the switch after this season is done. You can not change the course of an F1 team like you can with a professional soccer team. With a soccer team (or any other team sport) the pieces for the puzzle are always there - you have the talent, you have the will and the strength. You just have to make the best use of those qualities and that is what a capable manager of a football team can do. A change in management can and has in the past gotten drastic results when talking about team sports.

Formula 1 team ? I have my doubts - if your package is flawed from the get go, like it is with Ferrari and for Lotus at the moment, there is very little a new boss can get done. I am sure the boys in Maranello are already working double overtime just to keep up with the Mercedes powered teams but with the regulations being what they are, one man at the top has very little effect. Unless that man happened to grasp at least some sort of a knack for engineering and/or technical problem solving. And this brings me on to another issue of mine with the Ferrari team.

I've also had concerns regarding his background ever since he was appointed team manager for Ferrari - he is a business graduate with little to none experience from racing or engineering, traditionally the background for most chief execs. Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Ron Dennis, Malcolm Wilson (WRC I know, but worth mentioning), hell even Martin Whitmarsh and Eric Boullier...these are all people of racing and/or engineering background and former track record from working in and with racing team development. It is very much the same issue I have with Bernie Ecclestone these days - he is a fine businessman sure, but you need more than pure business savy to run a circus like the F1 is, regardless of a single team or the whole show. Domenicali never had that "something"....he isn't a racer or a race engineer. Sure he worked with some teams in the past, but at the end of the day he is still a glorified accountant at the roots.

And this leads me to Mr. Mattiacci. The man is yet another business graduate, currently the head of Ferrari North America and his previous track record is entirely from sales and marketing. Why on earth would you replace Domenicali, a business grad with very little experience from racing, with another (italian, I might point out) with a business degree and no formal upbringing with racing.

Now I am sure Luca di Montezemolo is a great marketing and sales analyst, as a company Ferrari IS doing very well for themselves. But the man really should stay away from the F1 side of things as can be seen from the succes they have had after Jean Todt left the building. If nothing else, get a group of (I can't believe I am saying this) analysts, consultants and head hunters to find someone if you don't posses the mindset to make changes on your own.

I predict nothing but the same for the red team from Maranello, unfortunately. I quite like Alonso (and Kimi) so I wouldn't mind seeing them on top of their game again but this change I fear, is no change at all.

Well, maybe the fact that you can't just change course with an F1 team is the eact reason he's being let go now. The new guy(s) is going to need a while to adjust, and get the team shapen how they deem fit.

The timing is a bit weird, but it could be a case of "one last chance".

Aaaaanyway this brings up a few thoughts.

First and foremost why now ? Sure this has been a long time coming and I personally have been wondering why di Montezemolo didn't sack Domenicali two years ago ? In my eyes he has never seemed what you would call an authoritative figure, bordering on pushover. Now I know you can not and should not draw conclusions based on interviews and what is seen on television (I've never met the guy) but comparing the evidence I have to my own findings in the field of business (and other) administration, he never quite seemed to be cut out for it. He never carried the same sort of....credibility as say Ross Brawn did while wearing the same colours.

I just don't get what they could possibly achieve with any of this now - this should've been done a) before the start of the LAST season so that the new guy would have had a hand at developing the team with the current rule set or b) bring him in to work with/under Domenicali, learn the ropes and then make the switch after this season is done.

If di Montezemolo is really running the show, as some believe, he may have kept him around because he wouldn't threaten that.

As to why he therefore now decided to pull the trigger and let him go, I would not be surprised if the Italian Press are frothing at the mouth with the poor form the Scuderia has launched this year and di Montezemolo could very well be offering him up as the Sacrificial Lamb to keep the heat off himself (now that he has decided to stay as President and not pursuer a political career).

I don't see how replacing the team principal is gonna do much. Pretty sure that the rot sits deep in Ferrari just like it does at McLaren.

Last edited:
Well, the success Ferrari had at the beginning of the century, was the result of the work of three people: Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher.

Ferrari has a huge name, maybe that will help to eventually put another winning team together. Though currently I don't see it.

Well, the success Ferrari had at the beginning of the century, was the result of the work of three people: Jean Todt, Ross Brawn and Michael Schumacher.

Ferrari has a huge name, maybe that will help to eventually put another winning team together. Though currently I don't see it.

The main difference is that back then Ferrari could test for unlimited miles at their home track. Testing limitation was much more harmful to them than to anyone else.

Mattiacci is temporary, I'm sure.

This was long over due.

Soon to be replacement by Brawn?

Considering that most rumors about Brawn leaving Merc have to do with Lauda looking over his shoulder too much, I don't see him going into the same situation with Lucca, considering the Lucca probably knows even less about racing (in the current form) than Niki does. I would love to see Ross back at the helm, with Schumacher's help when he gets better, but I just don't see either happening any time soon.

It's really a shame Ross left, he could be living the dream this year, now someone else is going to get the credit for the team that he built from the ground up when they win a championship (again).

I miss Ross and Michael though, they made the best team of manager/driver that I have ever seen.

I am wondering whom Ferrari will dig out of the woodpile, a North American Sales/Marketing dude does not a team principle make.

Last edited:
I've also had concerns regarding his background ever since he was appointed team manager for Ferrari - he is a business graduate with little to none experience from racing or engineering, traditionally the background for most chief execs. Jean Todt, Ross Brawn, Ron Dennis, Malcolm Wilson (WRC I know, but worth mentioning), hell even Martin Whitmarsh and Eric Boullier...these are all people of racing and/or engineering background and former track record from working in and with racing team development. It is very much the same issue I have with Bernie Ecclestone these days - he is a fine businessman sure, but you need more than pure business savy to run a circus like the F1 is, regardless of a single team or the whole show. Domenicali never had that "something"....he isn't a racer or a race engineer. Sure he worked with some teams in the past, but at the end of the day he is still a glorified accountant at the roots.

And this leads me to Mr. Mattiacci. The man is yet another business graduate, currently the head of Ferrari North America and his previous track record is entirely from sales and marketing. Why on earth would you replace Domenicali, a business grad with very little experience from racing, with another (italian, I might point out) with a business degree and no formal upbringing with racing.

Now I am sure Luca di Montezemolo is a great marketing and sales analyst, as a company Ferrari IS doing very well for themselves. But the man really should stay away from the F1 side of things as can be seen from the succes they have had after Jean Todt left the building. If nothing else, get a group of (I can't believe I am saying this) analysts, consultants and head hunters to find someone if you don't posses the mindset to make changes on your own.

Great post! But you say that Stefano Domenicali wasn't a racer, which undersells him a bit I think given that he has worked for the Ferrari F1 team for the past 20 odd years. He worked directly under Jean Todt for most of those years. But the buck does stop with him, and the team have under performed for a number of years now which is directly his fault. And it's his fault for not getting the right guys in the right roles and working to their best.

I believe that is the crux of the Ferrari situation, and the same with McLaren. And therefore I'm not so sure a team manager in Formula One these days necessarily has to have a racing background. I think the job has changed from the days when a guy with a racing background could work his way up and become a team manager in the fold of a Ken Tyrrell, Colin Chapman, or Ron Dennis. I don't think you need to know how a Formula One racing team intimately works or how the cars are engineered. You need to be a good people manager, and while Marco Mattiachi has no racing experience perhaps he does have the traits that could get the F1 team moving in the right direction again. It wont take him long to get a feel for the grand prix team and how things could be improved.

Look at Flavio Briatore, he was a clothes salesman working for Luciano Benetton who was parachuted in to run the grand prix team with no motorsport experience whatsoever. What he did have was a tremendous knack for people management, putting the right guys in the right roles and motivating them enough to get the best out of them. And I think that's what you need in F1 today. A driven manager who can identify what needs improving by listening to the guys underneath him.

Jean Todt was/is a tremendous manager who just happened to have a racing background. He would've been a great manager in any business role as his role with the FIA is proving.

Last edited:
Great post! But you say that Stefano Domenicali wasn't a racer, which undersells him a bit I think given that he has worked for the Ferrari F1 team for the past 20 odd years. He worked directly under Jean Todt for most of those years. But the buck does stop with him, and the team have under performed for a number of years now which is directly his fault. And it's his fault for not getting the right guys in the right roles and working to their best.

I believe that is the crux of the Ferrari situation, and the same with McLaren. And therefore I'm not so sure a team manager in Formula One these days necessarily has to have a racing background. I think the job has changed from the days when a guy with a racing background could work his way up and become a team manager in the fold of a Ken Tyrrell, Colin Chapman, or Ron Dennis. I don't think you need to know how a Formula One racing team intimately works or how the cars are engineered. You need to be a good people manager, and while Marco Mattiachi has no racing experience perhaps he does have the traits that could get the F1 team moving in the right direction again. It wont take him long to get a feel for the grand prix team and how things could be improved.

Look at Flavio Briatore, he was a clothes salesman working for Luciano Benetton who was parachuted in to run the grand prix team with no motorsport experience whatsoever. What he did have was a tremendous knack for people management, putting the right guys in the right roles and motivating them enough to get the best out of them. And I think that's what you need in F1 today. A driven manager who can identify what needs improving by listening to the guys underneath him.

Jean Todt was/is a tremendous manager who just happened to have a racing background. He would've been a great manager in any business role as his role with the FIA is proving.

Well said man. If I could +rep you, I would.

Considering that most rumors about Brawn leaving Merc have to do with Lauda looking over his shoulder too much, I don't see him going into the same situation with Lucca, considering the Lucca probably knows even less about racing (in the current form) than Niki does. I would love to see Ross back at the helm, with Schumacher's help when he gets better, but I just don't see either happening any time soon.

Um... are you living in the same reality as me? Niki Lauda doesn't know much of racing?

You think Ross Brawn would have been better for Mercedes?

In case you didn't notice: With Brawn at the helm, Mercedes was losing. Now they are winning. I'd say they did everything right so far.

It's really a shame Ross left, he could be living the dream this year, now someone else is going to get the credit for the team that he built from the ground up when they win a championship (again).

Brawn did not develop the new engine. Mercedes did. Brawn's strength was tactics during a race - before the computers took control of it. Sure, he would have taken profit from the new car as well but let's not forget that HE left on his own account. Mercedes wanted him to stay but he refused.

I miss Ross and Michael though, they made the best team of manager/driver that I have ever seen.

At their time, yes. But since then things have changed. New drivers, new engineers, new computers. It's easy now for everybody to analyze a race and adjust tactics if necessary. A brainy guy like Brawn is still useful but other parameters have entered the game. Intuition doesn't work the same anymore in modern F1 as it did in the 1990's and early 2000's.

The thing is, that in life you rarely keep an advantage once the others found out how you do it ;) That is why at the end of their time at Ferrari, the team Schumacher/Brawn was showing signs of weakness.

Last edited:
In case you didn't notice: With Brawn at the helm, Mercedes was losing. Now they are winning. I'd say they did everything right so far.

You're hilarious. It takes years to rebuild a team. It's not done over night. All the hard work Brawn put in can be seen in how the team is performing this year. He has an engineering background, not marketing or management.

Last edited:
Well, he wasn't fired. He left on his own request. No idea what exactly was going on behind the scenes and I guess we will never know. But I notice that ever since he left Ferrari, he wasn't as successful anymore. And engineering background or not - I don't think that he was a key part in developing the all new 6-cylinder turbo with two electric motors. That would have been much over his head...

And we're talking about engine here only! The aerodynamics of that Merc are not as good as the Red Bull's aerodynamics. Mercedes' current advantage is only thanks to the good engine.

Sure, Brawn had some success after Ferrari. He bought the old Toyota team and took advantage of them having started developing the new car much earlier than the competitors, so he had one good year with his own team and Button became world champion. But at the end of that year the competitors had caught up already and Button won the title only because he had hoarded enough points at the start of the season!

Ross Brawn was an essential part of a strong team during his Ferrari years. But with the team gone, I cannot help but hink he was rather lost.

Last edited:
Um... are you living in the same reality as me? Niki Lauda doesn't know much of racing?

Notice I said racing in its current form. Niki will always be one of my favorite drivers, but it would piss me off if he was looking over my shoulder when he is what amounts to a has-been in the racing world.

Ross built that team, he won one championship with it by doing things no one else had the balls to do, and I think he, as much as anyone else, deserves some credit for what it looks like Merc will accomplish this year, considering that if it were just the engine, FI and Williams would be up Lewis' and Niko's tailpipes, not 2 seconds per lap off Merc's full pace.

Last edited:
He bought the old Toyota team and took advantage of them having started developing the new car much earlier than the competitors, so he had one good year with his own team and Button became world champion. But at the end of that year the competitors had caught up already and Button won the title only because he had hoarded enough points at the start of the season!

I always thought Brawn bought the Honda team that he helped develop in 2008...