Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

I saw that unfold live.

What a stupid move by the safety car driver. Maybe Engstler could have slowed down before the corner but he cannot just jump to brakes as soon as safety car boards come out because that is going to create more trouble behind him. The safety car just cut to the racing line and Engstler had absolutely no chance to avoid hitting it. Fortunately nobody was injured but it did cost Engstler a very good chance to win a race and, as he is a privateer racing with his own team, a hefty bunch of euros as well.

Not so much a random thought, but was wondering if someone here knows of a good comprehensive website that talks about go-karting? I'm doing a project about potentially setting up a serious go-kart business, so I need loads of info. I've been to wikipedia and while I usually trust the stuff there, I need to reference some 'proper' websites to corroborate the info on wiki.

+rep and many thanks in advance to whoever can help me! :)

^^^Wow. There is a reason that cars have to follow a line coming out of the pits, and the safety car just proved why. And what was the guy doing in the safety car? It looks like he pulls out, accelerates, then slams on the brakes without turning anywhere... :?

Its very confusing as to what is going on thanks to a slightly jumpy video, and the fact I can't understand what the commentators are saying, but why do they start laughing when the crash happens?

Last edited:
I am absolutely fucking fuming!

Franz totally deserved a win in the WTCC, and it does not help the sport having a safety car driver who is an absolute mindless bumbaclot! He showed great composure by not stepping over there and giving that moron the good fucking hiding he deserves! Has that guy even passed his driving test? After seeing this display I would bet against it!

It's a fucking disgrace to motorsport!

I'm sorry for this swear filled rant but I am a big fan of the team and I really wanted them to win.

Last edited:
Touringcars are never boring!!

edit: WTF! Ekstr?m was dominating the first race in the DTM and a flat tire ruined his race.. f**k

Last edited:
WTF. My neighbor has met Michael Shumacher. He and his wife came out to the US to learn to ride horses, and my neighbor lent them her horse. They have a whole herd now apparently...

I mean, WTF. Mega small world.

Why doesn't that happen in Formula 1? OK it really shouldn't, but can you imagine the furore if it ever did, especially during this current controversial season? I can't.

Remember this?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaA-DQ0YdMs[/YOUTUBE]

The only source that I've seen for that story so far is Robin Miller and, with all due respect to him, I take it with a pinch of salt until I see a press release about it. Especially as Tony George has apparently denied it.

If it's true, though, this is very big news for open wheel racing in America.

IMS denies George has been sacked

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has released a statement reiterating Tony George's position as CEO of the Speedway following published reports that George had been voted out of the role during an IMS board meeting on Tuesday night.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75651

Oops.

It will be interesting to see if something is going on in IRL. The story might have been false but I don't believe Miller would have made the story up from thin air. Something must be going on here...

And on something totally different, I finally got my hands on Perry McCarthy's autobiography 'Flat Out, Flat Broke' and finished it last night. Quite an interesting read, and some of the stories in it were incredible and Perry's account about the abysmal Andrea Moda F1 effort simply hilarious.

It doesn't look very good for General Motors and Vauxhall at the moment. If the worst happens, will the Touring Car team be affected?

And on something totally different, I finally got my hands on Perry McCarthy's autobiography 'Flat Out, Flat Broke' and finished it last night. Quite an interesting read, and some of the stories in it were incredible and Perry's account about the abysmal Andrea Moda F1 effort simply hilarious.

I've read it about a month ago. Brilliant. :) P.S. Perry IS mad. :lol:

It doesn't look very good for General Motors and Vauxhall at the moment. If the worst happens, will the Touring Car team be affected?

Obviously, if Chevrolet won't be able to pay for a WTCC programme they won't be around in 2010. Not as a factory team anyway, a private programme is always possible. This won't have any effect on Vauxhall as they have already said they won't enter BTCC in 2010 as a factory team anyway.

I've read it about a month ago. Brilliant. :) P.S. Perry IS mad. :lol:

I'd use a term 'complete nutter'. And stubborn as well :lol:

So... Formula Two has indeed come back to life. This weekend, in Valencia, at Autodromo Ricardo Tormo.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/75686

Wickens claims maiden F2 pole

By Steven English Friday, May 29th 2009, 16:21 GMT

Robert Wickens will start this weekend's first race of the Formula 2 season from the front after claiming pole position in qualifying this afternoon.

The 20-year-old Canadian set his best time early in the session, on his first run on new tyres, and edged out Tobias Hegewald for the top spot by just 0.014s.

"I've been relatively quick all through testing and practice, and it's nice to say that I got the first pole of the year," said Wickens. "But it's still just the first race of a long season so I've got to get my head down and focus on the rest of the weekend."

Andy Soucek improved his time on his final run to pip Carlos Iaconelli to third on the grid by an even smaller margin - just 0.002s, but the Spaniard was disappointed to miss out on pole after going quickest in practice this morning.

Things got closer still on what will be the third row of the grid as Mikhail Aleshin and Julien Jousse set exactly the same time to claim fifth and sixth places, just ahead of final practice pace-setter Edoardo Piscopo.

It was a closely-fought first qualifying session throughout the field with the top 15 cars qualifying within one second of the pole position time.

Reigning Formula Palmer Audi champion Jason Moore will start from the back on Saturday after his alternator broke before he had set a competitive time, while Jack Clarke slipped from seventh to 17th on the grid after a spin ended his session early.

Pos Driver Time Gap
1. Robert Wickens 1m27.775s
2. Tobias Hegewald 1m27.789s +0.014
3. Andy Soucek 1m27.953s +0.178
4. Carlos Iaconelli 1m27.955s +0.180
5. Mikhail Aleshin 1m28.113s +0.338
6. Julien Jousse 1m28.113s +0.338
7. Edoardo Piscopo 1m28.130s +0.355
8. Milos Pavlovic 1m28.243s +0.468
9. Kazim Vasiliauskas 1m28.315s +0.540
10. Henry Surtees 1m28.390s +0.615
11. Philipp Eng 1m28.461s +0.686
12. Mirko Bortolotti 1m28.470s +0.695
13. Jolyon Palmer 1m28.640s +0.865
14. Natacha Gachnang 1m28.729s +0.954
15. Sebastian Hohenthal 1m28.755s +0.980
16. Alex Brundle 1m29.123s +1.348
17. Jack Clarke 1m29.151s +1.376
18. Nicola de Marco 1m29.184s +1.409
19. German Sanchez 1m29.240s +1.465
20. Armaan Ebrahim 1m29.343s +1.568
21. Henri Karjalainen 1m29.422s +1.647
22. Jens Hoing 1m29.519s +1.744
23. Tom Gladdis 1m30.145s +2.370
24. Pietro Gandolfi 1m30.743s +2.968
25. Jason Moore 1m31.661s +3.886

And, surprise surprise, Wickens is backed by... Red Bull. Damn, RB-backed drivers are indeed EVERYWHERE.

P.S. Before you ask, Henry Surtees, Alex Brundle and Jolyon Palmer are indeed related to John Surtees, Martin Brundle and Jonathan Palmer. And the only girl in the field, Natacha Gachnang, is actually Sebastian Buemi's cousin.

Last edited: