Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

You think? 30 years of assasinations on islamists seem to show something else.. Every time any islamist is assasinated, someone more radical, extreme and fundamentalist take over.

If we were talking about a popular uprising like 1979, then it could work. But just killing him? Won't work.

Ahmadinejad survives an assassination attempt.

Good I am with Nomix on this one - I do not like the bloke and I would most certainly not go out for a drink with him (eh?) but killing him is no way to go. He is just a figurehead anyhow with no real power. The forces for democratic change must become so strong that they overwhelm him, and it will happen just a the Shar went. (Another bloke I would not have gone down the pub with (what are you talking about?) not even if he offered to pay).

Never know with muslim leaders. Yasser Arafat was very found of Johnny Walker Black Label and vodka. Then again, the PLO was and is a very secular organisation.

I'll drink with anyone, as long as they're willing to talk without punching me in the face. I'd do it with Dubya (I'd be fine with a glass of Coca Cola in that occation), I'd drink with Mubarak (I'm sure he drinks), Putin, Netanyahu, Gordon Brown, Maggie Thatcher, Geert Wilders and even the crown prince of Saudi Arabia.

If you let your distaste for opinions (sometimes foul and despickable opionns) limit who you'll talk to, you're making a mistake.

Oh, and for a properly random thought.. Obama, make Papst and Bud illegal. Make everybody drink Samuel Adams Boston Ale. It's a truely nice, straight, normal ale. Fuck the mass made shit from the two former.

Last edited:
Good I am with Nomix on this one - I do not like the bloke and I would most certainly not go out for a drink with him (eh?) but killing him is no way to go. He is just a figurehead anyhow with no real power. The forces for democratic change must become so strong that they overwhelm him, and it will happen just a the Shar went. (Another bloke I would not have gone down the pub with (what are you talking about?) not even if he offered to pay).
Yep. If anyone remembers the elections last year, Ali Khamenei proved he's actually the one with the final say on anything and everything. MA is just the VP of Operations.

Well, that's how Iran works, it's not secret..

Well it's political in the sense that it may reduce Japans steep age distribution a little but mostly it's just weird.

Tokyo's 'oldest man' had been dead for 30 years
He was thought to be the oldest man in Tokyo - but when officials went to congratulate Sogen Kato on his 111th birthday, they uncovered mummified skeletal remains lying in his bed.
Mr Kato may have been dead for 30 years according to Japanese authorities.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-10809128

Japan checks on elderly as centenarians go missing

Japan's health minister on Tuesday called for a nationwide check on the whereabouts of elderly residents in response to a media frenzy over several missing centenarians.
Revelations last week that police had found the mummified remains of a man thought to have been Tokyo's oldest resident at 111 but actually dead for 30 years shocked a country facing the challenge of a rapidly aging population.

Local authorities this week said a woman aged 113, designated Tokyo's oldest person, was not in fact living at the apartment where she was registered. That disclosure became one of Japan's top news stories, raising questions about living standards of the elderly.

"It is important for authorities to grasp the reality of where and how old people are living," Health Minister Akira Nagatsuma told reporters.
As of October 1, there were 41,000 centenarians in Japan, whose women have held the record for the world's longest life expectancy for 25 years.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/03/AR2010080301359.html

Last edited:
Pity they didn't just make the reform itself a public insurance option, a bit like medicare. Medicare works just as well as anything else, and by all accounts, it's not more expensive, while it doesn't exclude people with pre-existing conditions.

So, what will this vote mean, realisticly?

Pity they didn't just make the reform itself a public insurance option, a bit like medicare. Medicare works just as well as anything else, and by all accounts, it's not more expensive, while it doesn't exclude people with pre-existing conditions.
It is a pity. About 1/3 of the disapproval at the health care bill is that it didn't go far enough.

So, what will this vote mean, realisticly?
Absolutely nothing. Even Fox News, and even the Republican who sponsored the bill, said it was a "symbolic referendum" that had no legal influence... which is utter bullshit, because taxpayer money was used to put this idiocy on the ballot, and yet the tea party fully embraced it.

The Tea Party would embrace a $200bn, federally funded statue of a corn dog if it had the words "Obama is a liberal fascist" written on it.

Well I have to admit being really displeased with British Governments of all shades since oh about 1952 actually. A few have done some sensible things but then cock it up big time doing other things.

I was just wondering is there anyone on this forum who thinks that their government is really, really good? You know the politicians are in it for the betterment of society and the planet not for how much that they can make - making quality decisions?

I would be interested in any countries like that.

Depends. I think there are some idealists in my government. God knows if I'm right.

Attlee's government did a lot of good. No doubt about that.

@nomix. I'd be interested to. I Am really unhappy with Harper and he has a minority gov't. It doesn't look like anyone will achieve a majority any time soon either. There is a failure with the system, when no matter who is in power the majority doesn't like em.
We have a huge problem right now with voter apathy, no one really cares anymore. I don't blame them but I've voted in every possible election since I turned 18. I'm now jaded, I dont think any politician has the public's best interest in mind. But I will still vote for the one who seems either least likely to win, or the least likely to fuck us over if its gonna be a close race.

Not really, I'm with you Cobol. Though there's likely a few people I don't know about who really do want to make a positive change to world/society/political system, I think most are either power-mad bastards from the beginning or have had their ideals and will corrupted as they go through the necessary motions of the political process. It's the same with America, though it's not my country I follow the news and politics over there regularly and it seems, on that point, no different. I see few people who I would use as examples of true idealists who do as they say in any government, corporation or church, period.

People never like their government. The first two weeks following the election, they love it because they've finally gotten rid of the last government, but then they get tired of the new one as well.

I know y'all know everything about weapons and stuff. So, is this a game-changer or is it just much ado about nothing...?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100805/ap_on_re_as/as_china_us_carrier_killer

U.S. naval planners are scrambling to deal with what analysts say is a game-changing weapon being developed by China ? an unprecedented carrier-killing missile called the Dong Feng 21D that could be launched from land with enough accuracy to penetrate the defenses of even the most advanced moving aircraft carrier at a distance of more than 1,500 kilometers (900 miles).

"Budget cuts ahoy, lads, need to invent a new threat."

Good news everyone! Another year or more of bickering about gay marriage in California thanks to Prop 8 ban being judged illegal. Fucking fantastic.

No wonder shit never gets done in this state, all the republicans here are too busy concentrating on who does what in their damn bedrooms to instead of putting more effort into fiscal policy and voting on things that might have a more important effect on them... like having any income in the future.

Can we please just ban the state from having anything to do with "marriage" and just give everyone civil unions already?