Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Hm, thanks. Well I have another week to decide what I want, my Hero has more functions but I do miss a hardware keyboard when doing a lot of typing and I also notice it has become slower. Probably with all my apps on it. Decissions Decissions :p

Hm, thanks. Well I have another week to decide what I want, my Hero has more functions but I do miss a hardware keyboard when doing a lot of typing and I also notice it has become slower. Probably with all my apps on it. Decissions Decissions :p

I was using CyanogenMod for a while and it got slower and slower, eventually becoming unbearable. I am actually back on the stock ROM now (loaded a backup), which has been in use for much longer with many more apps and is a lot faster.

Well I'm on FroydVillain now but am downloading the stock ROM at this very moment.
Going with the Blackberry would be interesting because it's the only OS I have absolutely 0 experience with, I've used WM, iOS and now Android extensively.
But I'm afraid I'll be dissapointed with it having used iOS and Android for a while although it would suit my most important needs on a phone of texting, mailing and playing music (and to a lesser extend GPS because once in a while I'm in my car with no satnav and no idea where to go) very well I suppose.

I was never a fan of Blackberry OS but it seems to have improved with 5.0. I'd still have trouble leaving a touchscreen after Android, though I would like a hardware keyboard.

Desire Z would be great, but it's out of my price range unfortunately :p
To be honest though, I find myself using the trackball very often for navigating through menus. I'd only really miss having touchscreen for web browsing (scroll and pinch and zoom)

Desire Z would be great, but it's out of my price range unfortunately :p
To be honest though, I find myself using the trackball very often for navigating through menus. I'd only really miss having touchscreen for web browsing (scroll and pinch and zoom)

Really? Maybe the US Hero is different in this regard, but my biggest complaint about this phone is the uselessness of the trackball. It works, but its painfully slow. It takes literally 10 seconds to scroll through a screen's width of text....

If you have a CDMA Hero I think it's a bit different. One of the best things about it though is that It will do almost 36 hours with a full charge and heavy usage (lots of texts, 3G or Wifi constantly on, bluetooth in car)

Damnit, why are some Firefox add-ons so crappy on Mac? I'm mainly thinking of Mouse Gestures Redux, quite problematic... but it's one of my favourite add-ons, can't go without it.

I've heard Firefox in general is so-so on Mac, and I think Mozilla even has another browser for it....

Found it, Camino.

I used to have Camino when I had my previous Mac and before Firefox was available for OS X. It's actually supposed to be a great browser in of itself.

But can it use the same add-ons as Firefox? I have become partial to a few, which is why I never even considered loading up Safari or downloading Chrome when I got this Mac.

Anyone know of any good black friday deals on a 1-2TB NAS drive?

Not really, but for what it's worth I'm following this to see if anything interesting comes up.

I'm tempted by the free (with 2 year contract) Droid Incredible or Samsung Captivate, but I'm still recovering from the fuckup that was my Sprint experience.

Information about your November/December usage
If your usage during November/December as displayed below is lower than expected, please don't be concerned. On 24 November we reset a large number of our customers' usage to zero as a result of a technical issue on a piece of our broadband equipment.

I was 2GB over, now I have an extra 5 GB. :cool:

While it's not a NAS drive, Target will have a 2TB external for $65, but I don't know if it's a selects stores sort of thing or not.

Not really, but for what it's worth I'm following this to see if anything interesting comes up.

I'm tempted by the free (with 2 year contract) Droid Incredible or Samsung Captivate, but I'm still recovering from the fuckup that was my Sprint experience.

If you think you're going to want to stick with Android, I'd have to suggest Verizon because, aside from the Captivate, AT&T doesn't really have any Android offerings worth mentioning. That said, I'm enjoying my Captivate so far, and now that it has 2.2, the Incredible should be pretty good as well. Then again, maybe you could convince me to sell my N1 :hmm:

Then again, maybe you could convince me to sell my N1 :hmm:

So much for "I'm not selling it" then :p

Joking aside, hows the captivate compared to the N1?

Honestly, it's not really any better. In fact, because of my smallish hands, and the stupid arrangement of the buttons along the bottom, it's a bit of a pain to use. I flashed the unofficial 2.2 update, then rooted it just now(which seems to have broken haptic feedback). It feels pretty solid, but it's so light I have difficulty believing it could be as durable as the Nexus has proven to be. It seems to get better battery life and be a bit quicker all around, though always running experimental ROMs on the N1 may have an impact on that. I'll have a much better idea of exactly how I feel about it next week after using it while at work.

Also, I was not serious about selling. The N1 is my baby.

If you think you're going to want to stick with Android, I'd have to suggest Verizon because, aside from the Captivate, AT&T doesn't really have any Android offerings worth mentioning. That said, I'm enjoying my Captivate so far, and now that it has 2.2, the Incredible should be pretty good as well. Then again, maybe you could convince me to sell my N1 :hmm:

I'm sticking with Android for sure; not sure I'd call myself a fanboy, but I'd probably fall just short of it.

Thing is, the $150 or $200 these phones cost on contract is already pretty cheap as far as I'm concerned and they've both been on sale for a while now. Getting it for $0 isn't really so attractive to me to make me sign a 2-year contract knowing they're barely any better than the HD2 I'm using now. I'd rather wait for some new phones to hit the market before I go on contract.

Anyone know a good free utility to clone a Windows 7 hard drive?

I hereby declare Chrome dead.

Building it gobbles up 30 GB of hard disk space and takes 16 hours for a full build. If you change a single line of code and do an incremental build, it takes 5, read five, hours.
How are you supposed to develop it, if you don't have a quantum-computer?
So much for open source.