Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

Ugg, YouTube and FiOS really don't mix for shit... 83 megs down and it stutters playing 720?????? According to Google its common...

I get YouTube stuttering on my workstation at work which has a dedicated gigabit network drop XD

This. YouTube blows period no matter what connection you use. Even when you try to buffer the video it'll stop partway through (i assume just to save google 5 fucking cents worth of bandwidth just in case you don't watch it all) or no longer stays buffered if you move the scrubber back to replay a scene.

It helps a bit to change your site from YouTube US to YouTube CA (use the tool at the bottom of the YouTube page)...you notice a speed change but as word got out on Reddit I think it's beginning to suck.

Ooh! Nice! A sampler pack of MX blue, brown, red and black keys for $5. Worth the investment if I'm gong to splurge on a custom keyboard...

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-keycap-cherry-mx-switch-o-ring-sampler-kit.html

Sampler-Switch-800.jpg

Hmm...I'm thinking of getting a keyboard from that company that is all lit in white, except for blue-lit F keys, blue-lit arrow keys, and a green-lit escape key, with this key:
escape-l-800.jpg

I wouldn't discount a SSD problem, either. I've been seeing more than one or two at work (datacenter) that come out of the box with all sorts of problems, just like spinners do.
I've rebooted the notebook numerous times since then, and didn't get any problem whatsoever anymore, even after some more updates (albeit mainly .NET and Office)... :dunno:

I'll leave the old HDD as it is for the time being so I can always plug it back in and boot that installed Windows if the SSD proves to be faulty.

YouBoob has been quite patchy and inconsistent lately for me, as well. The general consensus seems to be that the servers are configured by apes.

A few days ago I tried watching a 48 min video at 240 quality. It took 3 hours to fully load...when I finally hit "play", and after about 5 mins, I wanted to see something again, so I backed it up about 15 seconds...and it erased the "buffer." Had to start over. Bah.

Last edited:
When you watch a video at 240p, it buffers in sections and if you seek it will start buffering again.

Does flash crash for anyone when seeking a YouTube video multiple times?

When you watch a video at 240p, it buffers in sections and if you seek it will start buffering again.

Didn't know that. Well, I wasn't going to wit the 4+ hours that it looked like the 360 was going to take...and this was on my desktop, my wireless laptop, m 3G iPad, and my 4g let verizon phone.

Were they all using the same connection? Were other sites loading properly? Otherwise your connection is worse than my pathetic connection and that is impossible :p

It's actually showing decent average speed but up until recently it was fine, well 1080 still wouldn't work for shit but 720 was OK, lately though some videos are just unwatchable even at 480.... Hell I was trying to watch a Crash Course video at home at 480 and it kept stopping, went to work and it was fine at 720 (work has useless 8mbit/s inet).

- - - Updated - - -

I get YouTube stuttering on my workstation at work which has a dedicated gigabit network drop XD

- - - Updated - - -

YouBoob has been quite patchy and inconsistent lately for me, as well. The general consensus seems to be that the servers are configured by apes.

I'm starting to agree with that...

- - - Updated - - -

This. YouTube blows period no matter what connection you use. Even when you try to buffer the video it'll stop partway through (i assume just to save google 5 fucking cents worth of bandwidth just in case you don't watch it all) or no longer stays buffered if you move the scrubber back to replay a scene.

It helps a bit to change your site from YouTube US to YouTube CA (use the tool at the bottom of the YouTube page)...you notice a speed change but as word got out on Reddit I think it's beginning to suck.
CA was doing the exact same to me.

Were they all using the same connection? Were other sites loading properly? Otherwise your connection is worse than my pathetic connection and that is impossible :p

Well, not at the same time. :) and the laptop and desktop were on the same connection, but the iPad is n AT&T, and the android is on Verizon.

Today, it's working fine.

Last edited:
Some teenagers on snowmobiles got lost in the archipelago and went through the ice. Search & Rescue eventually found them alive and well in a cabin they had to break in to, but they hadn't been able to call for help because their phones got wet and died. A watertight case would've been a huge help and it's strange that more people don't use them.

Also, everyone should look up how to get coordinates from the GPS in your phone. On iOS you can install one from what probably is a big selection of apps that just spit out raw coordinates. Some phones have an option deep in the menus for displaying raw GPS data as well. You don't need to live near the sea or be a hiker to find this useful. What about if your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere?

Some teenagers on snowmobiles got lost in the archipelago and went through the ice. Search & Rescue eventually found them alive and well in a cabin they had to break in to, but they hadn't been able to call for help because their phones got wet and died. A watertight case would've been a huge help and it's strange that more people don't use them.

Also, everyone should look up how to get coordinates from the GPS in your phone. On iOS you can install one from what probably is a big selection of apps that just spit out raw coordinates. Some phones have an option deep in the menus for displaying raw GPS data as well. You don't need to live near the sea or be a hiker to find this useful. What about if your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere?
No this is what you get if you are doing anything in the wilderness
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Rino-120-2-Way-Radio/dp/B000065DQ2

I'm pretty sure GMRS radios are illegal here. (we got PMR446)

I have the weirdest problem on Windows 7 now. It only occurs after I go to facebook on Chrome. After that next time I bring up a context menu -no matter what software- the slection I click stays visible forever no matter what I do. If I kill and restart dwm.exe it clears, but it does it again every time until I log off. Easy solution: don't go to facebook, but it's still kinda annoying.

It's fine if I use Firefox.

PMR446 and the like is useless for anything other than short distances, like between cars on a roadtrip.

And I wasn't talking about wilderness. The kind of nature I'm talking about is a five minute walk away from my flat. :)
It's more the GPS and waterproofing than the radio itself.

Has anyone noticed AdBlockPlus for Firefox has stopped blocking as much as it used it? Maybe it's the subscription list I'm using?

Here's my situation:

I have 2 dedicated servers at work with a bunch of storage I use as my media storage (16TB between the two) as well as running VMs for me to learn Linux.

I'm currently using Subsonic as my media streaming software... it works well enough, streams to any PC and my Touchpad via a Flash Player just fine. The only problem is that it does not support MKV encoded subtitles -_-

Obviously a problem when I'm watching movies that require subtitles.

I've tried Plex, had terrible luck with it. Clunky UI, media scanner crashes constantly, etc etc etc.

Anyone got any suggestions for an alternative? I'd really like it to be able to read from mapped network drives, Subsonic does this just fine after some fiddling.