reverse yellow pages? (in Australia)

MixtriX

Melbourne, Australia (originally from London, UK)
hey guys, just wondering if anyone (particularly the aussies) may be able to give me a hand with something.

basically, a friend of mine lost her purse in a Coles supermarket 2 days ago. She told customer services about it and gave her contact details in the hope that they might find it. Someone called her this morning saying that they found it and to come pick it up, however when she got there, the staff at Coles are saying that no wallet was found. She told them that she recieved a call from this number, and the staff replied saying that they dont know whose number it is. They tried calling it, and it seems to be going to a fax line.

Anyway, it all sounds pretty weird. My friend doesnt know the name of the guy who called her, and all we got is this fax number. I'm sure its just a case of misunderstanding and the guy who called her probably finished his shift by the time my friend got there, but the staff and manager at Coles dont seem to be very helpful.

so anyway, back to my query. Is there any way to trace this number that we have? also, can someone even make a call from a fax number? I have no idea how faxes work :?

without going thru the whole book, for coles fax numbers besides that ring 1300 somthing (the yellow pages book via a call centre) they might help ya

It can't be done legally (well, not without buying the information, which isn't cheap, and comes with restrictions for privacy reasons), and for very good reasons.

You can make phone calls with some fax machines.

thanks guys, I think my friend is gonna go back to coles today. but yea, if not, maybe give yellowpages a call or something.

It can't be done legally (well, not without buying the information, which isn't cheap, and comes with restrictions for privacy reasons), and for very good reasons.

The US yellowpages site seems to have such a service. Just wondering if such a thing exists in Australia.

thanks

Many US sites do, but they charge you for it.

The US yellowpages site seems to have such a service. Just wondering if such a thing exists in Australia.

thanks

Many US sites do, but they charge you for it.

Really, it costs money? Wow, here there are atleats 3 places on the net you can find that stuff and there is a couple of numbers you can call too :|

Basically all the information such as that is owned by one company in Australia, Sensis, who run the yellow and white pages, put out all the maps, Australian sat nav data etc.

You used to be able to but a CD with basically the phone book on it and you could do a reverse look up like that, was several hundred dollars and was designed for companies to get the details of potential customers.

However, recently after Sensis bought all the data they have stopped this. As mentioned before they still offer a kind of reverse look up system but you have to pay a lot of money per use in order to get the details. I remember this because at the time of the change there was outrage because they even wanted to charge the police this large amount every time they did a reverse check on a number.

Basically all the information such as that is owned by one company in Australia, Sensis, who run the yellow and white pages, put out all the maps, Australian sat nav data etc.

WTF? Can we say monopoly?