Rotaries

So the distributor and the oil pan and all of those other parts are part of the engine as well?

no it isn't.

take a VR6 for instance. back in the days of the golf III, it had 2 valves/cylinder, in the R32 it has 4
no one will claim it's a different engine! it's the same engine, with a different head

I have some complete engines to sell you guys...

An Engine is not an engine without the heads. It's just a block. The intake manifold and heads are totally part of the engine.

An example. You can take a stock 4bbrl carb and replace it with an after market carb without changing anything. You can then take that same carb and put it on a completely different motor. You cannot do this with heads, because they have to be designed in conjunction with the motor.

You can put a Volvo 2.0 DOHC head on a Ford 2.3 SOHC block even though the two engines share nothing in common. You can also put 351 Cleveland heads on a Windsor block, even though the architecture of the two engines is wildly different.

Yes. There are some exceptions, however I was hoping no one would bring them up... :p

Yes. There are some exceptions, however I was hoping no one would bring them up... :p

no one either said that an engine is complete without the heads.

but it's like saying that changing the wheels on a car, makes it another model...

but it's like saying that changing the wheels on a car, makes it another model...

In the case of changing heads, in some cases it does. ie. Ford 351 Cleveland VS Ford 351 Windsor. There are other minor differences between the motors, but the main difference in the head configuration.

In the case of changing heads, in some cases it does. ie. Ford 351 Cleveland VS Ford 351 Windsor. There are other minor differences between the motors, but the main difference in the head configuration.

Other minor differences in as much as they are completely different. Aside from having the same displacement and both being made by Ford, they have almost nothing in common.

so do a golf tdi and a golf R32...

they're still both golfs...

Steering this thread slightly back towards the original topic, can anyone explain what it is about my RX-8 that makes it so difficult to drive? I never noticed it at first, but having driven a few other cars, they are all much easier. In the RX-8, I have to be much more careful with the clutch at launch to not surge forward, and second gear is very hard to go into smoothly without waiting with the clutch depressed for a second or two. It is also much more picky about what gear it wants to be in at low speeds.

Is this something to do with the rotary engine, or is it something else about the design of the car? I just listed all of the downsides, but the upshot is that every in every other car I've tried, shifting feels dull and disconnected :cool:

Steering this thread slightly back towards the original topic, can anyone explain what it is about my RX-8 that makes it so difficult to drive? I never noticed it at first, but having driven a few other cars, they are all much easier. In the RX-8, I have to be much more careful with the clutch at launch to not surge forward, and second gear is very hard to go into smoothly without waiting with the clutch depressed for a second or two. It is also much more picky about what gear it wants to be in at low speeds.

Is this something to do with the rotary engine, or is it something else about the design of the car? I just listed all of the downsides, but the upshot is that every in every other car I've tried, shifting feels dull and disconnected :cool:

Notorks

Also a Mercedes-Benz M104 head will fit on a L24 or L28 datsun block.

"The M104 head bolts on. You have to pull the centering pins out of the L28 block and bore the thing to 88mm to have any dreams of clearing the valves, but it bolts up. The oil galleys are directly accessible from the rear of the head and the water flow is kindasortaclose enough that you could make it work with devcon in the m104 water jacket. You'll need to turn the snout of the L28 crank to SBC snout dimensions so the M104 bottom crank pully will fit (unless you modify the VVT and the exhaust pully or have a custom exhaust cam hardfaced to remove the VVT and then run two separate L28 timing chains)... and you're good to go!"

sorry for threadjack.

Ugh too much talk about piston engines in this thread!

It's alive....it's ALIVE!!!

602367_417569954962317_453861062_n.jpg

Should be running in the next few days. I can't wait to hear what it will sound like. I'm thinking something like two 20b engines...

It's ALIVE

The sound is incredible, as expected. Cannot wait to hear it rip on the dyno!

It strikes me that even though the engine is absurdly long for a rotary, it's probably shorter and easily more compact than a V10 or V12...yet makes (probably) far more power. Just remember, a four rotor is equivalent to a V12 in terms of firing pulses and power generation. This thing should be off the chain!

Last edited:
How did they managed to fabricate that eccentric shaft?

How did they managed to fabricate that eccentric shaft?
A mill. The factory 3 and 4 rotor engine are multi piece designs. There is a basic 2 rotor e shaft with a keyed section on each and the next section slides on it.

I imagine this is similar.

:lol:
Of course it was a mill. I meant to ask how they made it work? I read somewhere that 3 or more rotors were difficult because of the vibration etc... :dunno:

A mill. The factory 3 and 4 rotor engine are multi piece designs. There is a basic 2 rotor e shaft with a keyed section on each and the next section slides on it.

I imagine this is similar.

I think the factory 3 rotor e-shaft is one piece. Not sure on the 4 rotor. This six rotor is three separate e-shafts splined together. Rather simple and brilliant really.

I think the factory 3 rotor e-shaft is one piece. Not sure on the 4 rotor. This six rotor is three separate e-shafts splined together. Rather simple and brilliant really.

Factory is a 2 piece. Only way they could make it so the engine could be assembled. Mazda built the 3 rotor by applying the 2 piece idea but to the other side of the e-shaft (IIRC).