Silent hunter V: "What, they still make PC sims in 2010?" of the Atlantic

I am too impatient for these games. I played SH4 once and was impressed by it but I was too stupid to fully understand it :D

May I suggest, for you
455-1.jpg

:p

Last edited:
Too impatient too. Driving 500 laps left corners just for one epic crash? Hell no.

If you guys are interested in other hardcore military sims, check out DCS Black Shark. It is a full simulation by the makers of Lock On: Modern Air Combat of the Russian Black Shark helicopter, with every button, knob, and lever in the cockpit modeled and function. I don't have it yet, but I plan to make the investment (both time and money) probably this summer.
"The flight manual is 385 pages of text, diagrams and color photos, and teaches you all the detail about the KA-50 systems, including avionics, comms and the ABRIS Moving Map/GPS system. It contains checklists for practicing those cold ramp starts, and some basic operating procedures." (there's also a 160 page manual on the game screens and settings).

A reviewer installed the game, started a simulator mission and then couldnt do anything until he read the manual on the correct starting and takeoff procedure. It puts the "hardcor" in the word hardcore.

You have just made me interested.

Derailment complete

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oucXaEZG0vM[/YOUTUBE]
Just getting the hang of firing the beast up. This is the most basic procedure to get the Hokum up and in the air, "accelerated startup" as it's called in the training.
It's not the most thorough but it gets the job done.

Last edited:
Seems like the game would be unplayable without TrackIR

Seriously, those controls are designed for someone with peripheral vision and two hands :lol:

It must be noted that the game does come with a one button startup for people that don't want to go through the whole process every time.

its a long waaay, to tippiraryyyy, its a long way to goooooooo.... :cry:

EDIT: HEY GUYS! We've got glorified kites helicopters too!

[youtube]gP6VnbeWXSY[/youtube]

Last edited:
Altough those arent in the game are they? They were used to extend the spotting range of the subs when things started to get nasty for them. In real life and in the SH-series being a sub in 43-44 is nearly suicide.

Due to my extensive experience as a fake u boat commander: i say SCREW THAT. I'd rather have decent surface search radar than waste my time with a stupid kite that prevents me from diving because i need to recover the guy and fold it into its stupid box. Hell, later on in the war they stopped bothering to install deck guns because it takes too long for those guys to secure the gun and climb inside the sub.

If you're not under in 15 seconds (And i mean under-under, not periscope depth) you're getting a nasty suprise in the form of a bomb to the conning tower (Once bombs damaged my rear and front tubes so they couldnt fire, and i didnt know until i had lined up a shot on a ridiculous convoy..... :mad:)

Yeah thats what real submariners thought too. BdU liked experimenting with kites. But they were not common and mostly a failure.

What totally sucks about that online DRM stuff is that:
1. My DSL connection disconnects automatically every 24 hours. I told it to disconnect every day on 8:00 in the morning. So if my gaming session is again drawn out into the late morning hours then the sudden disconnect and loss of my game progress will piss me off. Especially when I have been on the sea hunting convoys for the last few hours.

2. Mobile gaming on the laptop during train rides or hotel stays is utterly impossible unless you pay out of your nose for WLAN access.

Apparently there also already is a pirated DRM-free version of SH5 available according to that article so...

I know it sounds silly, but if you have passion for something, you could always buy the game, but then install the cracked version...I've downloaded complete edited RiffTrax, but then gone to their website and donated the price of their audio track.

I bought special edition, not that impressed

silent hunter 3 is still where it's at

Mine is modified as hell and working great, althought i cant wait for the big realism mod to come out, whenever that happens. Currently at October 1940 in my "Dead is dead" first try campaign!

(I make exemptions for being killed by time compression, sometimes i dont drop out of warp speed in time and find myself 5000 meters away from a hunter-killer destroyer group being shelled, in that event i allow myself to reload)

[continued tangent]

If you want a good helicopter sim but without the insanely-difficult uber-reality of DCS Black Shark, try this:
(1) Download Enemy Engaged: Apache v. Havoc and Enemy Engaged: Comanche v. Hokum for cheap (and DRM-free) off of GOG.com.
(2) Go to simhq.com's forums, find the one for these games, and download the allMod pack from modding wizard Arneh.
(3) Enjoy a game that's a beautiful mix of ease-of-use and realism, and that's unrecognizable as derived from the original Enemy Engaged games. The mods are that intense.

Article on Arneh's work with the Mi-24 Hind: http://www.simhq.com/_air11/air_342b.html
Article on Arneh's overall work: http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_313a.html