Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Like I said, no one bothered to show me before :/ Course now I might as well go figure it out myself since someone was nice enough to fuck my car up for me and I don't have to worry about doing it myself.

Why would anyone need to show you how to pump petrol into the car? You stop in front of the pump, open the lock thing, fill up, pay and drive. It's not fucking rocket science.

I suddenly feel a strange amount of love for the new Skoda Octavia... (yeah wtf I know :?)

Maybe it's because I'm about to be a dad and my dad gene is telling me to buy a sensible car, but still

1) it looks cool. Yes that is not a typo
2) it's basically a last gen Passat so it'll last forever
3) bootspace is enormous
4) you can get it with the sweet 2.0 TDI engine
5) it's only 17k? new :woot:
This is what the Octavia currently looks like and I'm still not sure that's a good thing:
https://pic.armedcats.net/h/h0/h0nzik/2009/01/29/Nova_Skoda_Octavia_Facelift_1_1024x768.JPG
And underneath, it's not a last gen Passat but Mk. V/VI Golf. The previous gen Superb was based off the old Passat.

Best reason to buy an Octavia....

dz8qcb

It can jump 30 metres far and 7 metres high!

^still, a stretched Golf chassis in a saaaxy looking body, with a sweet diesel engine for 17k?? Do want

Best reason to buy an Octavia....

*pic of crashed Skoda*

It can jump 30 metres far and 7 metres high!

I just read a review of the Octavia and it was slammed for not being as safe as other cars in that class and having "erratic driving characteristics"

Oddly enough all of the tested VAG cars where criticized for their poor ESP...

that unfortunately, like driving a manual car, is something no one can be assed to teach me because it's "not necessary" :mad:

:lmao:

In Brazil, we are not allowed to pump our own gas and therefore I must keep an eye on gas station employees because they looooove to fill up gas tanks as much as possible.
[rant]
Also, as soon as you stop the car near the pumps they run to the window like an eager puppy, wanting to take the key to open the tank, but it's not advisable, since they try to open all gas tanks with the same tehcnique: brute force! I wish I had a T-shirt written "I open my own gas tank! And don't overfill it! As soon as the pump stops, don't put anymore gas!"
[/rant]

We also don't have any self-serve pumps here, and the attendants always try to make the price into a whole number. The only problem is the octane I buy is 0.45 riyals per liter, so they sometimes end up adding two extra liters to make the price even, and I'm afraid they're going to squirt gas all over the car one of these days...

Mandatory full service gas stations? Wow. In my hometown, a city of ~2 million people, I think there's 2-3 full service stations.

mandatory? Wtf? We have a couple of stations with service, but the service is more like standing around for atleast 10 minutes until the idiot at the desk can be bothered to move his ass....

I'd say 2/3 of our stations are full service, but you see the full service ones are often cheaper so obviously that's what I go to, especially since today at 1 degree C it feel incredibly beautifully warm next to the weather we've been having lately. I could pay less and stay in my car, or I could get out and be hailed on and pay more.

Most of our stations are self-service. Only the small "Bob's Garage and Gas" stations are self service, and they're usually the same price or 4~5 cents cheaper than the big name stations.

Just went onto the Geneva Auto show site to check when it is...

http://www.salon-auto.ch/en/premieres/index.php?navigId=29
Why is the center car there a Dodge SRT-4?

And its still a month and a half away. Feels like forever

Last edited:
I've never seen a full-service petrol station.

The one thing that confuses me is

I'd say 2/3 of our stations are full service, but you see the full service ones are often cheaper

How is it that full-service ones are often cheaper?

I would have thought that they would need more staff and thus need to make more money.

I've never seen a full-service petrol station.

The one thing that confuses me is

How is it that full-service ones are often cheaper?

I would have thought that they would need more staff and thus need to make more money.
Yeah, it doesn't seem very logical, but the staff probably works for minimum wage and lives from the tips and they sell more fuel as the attendants always fill the tank to the brim. Either way, full-service stations are virtually non-existent over here.

Enforced full-service stations? Is filling a car with fuel such a tricky task?

Some years ago, some gas stations tried offering "self-service" and attract people with lower prices and the possibility of doing it yourself instead of waiting for the staff. The government quickly ruled that pumping gas should be done only by "trained professionals" :lol: because it is a dangerous task AND because too many people would be unemployed.
Honestly? To us, stupid south american monkeys, it is such a tricky task and sadly the government is right. :|

Last edited:
Ni
BlaRo teaches YOU how to pump your own gas

Step 12: Put the nozzle back in the pump.
Step 13: "Do you want a receipt?"
Step 14: Get back in car.
Step 15: Turn on engine.
Step 16: Drive off.

Nice instructions, but REMEMBER to close your filler cap, thats a step between Step 12 and Step 13

Well, if they pump your gas for you, there's less chance of you being hit by the notorious *truck wheel out of fucking nowhere*

truckWheel.gif

Isn't it New Jersey and Oregon that it is illegal to pump your own gas, so all the stations in those states are full service?