Spanish driver kills teenage cyclist, sues victim's parents over car damage

teletubby-warrior

Da Superfan
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/25/wcyclist125.xml

A Spanish driver who killed a 17-year old cyclist in a traffic accident is suing the boy's parents for ?20,000 (?14,800) for the damage caused to his luxury car.

Businessman Tomas Delgado, 43, claims his Audi A8 suffered ?14,000 (?10,400) of damage when he collided with Enaitz Iriondo, who died instantly in the crash on the night of Aug 26, 2004.

Mr Delgado, who faced no criminal charges for the incident despite allegedly travelling at more than 100 mph on a road with a speed limit of 50 mph, is also asking for a further ?6,000 (?4,400) to cover the cost of hiring another vehicle while his was being repaired.
advertisement

Enaitz had been staying at a campsite on a family holiday in the Rioja region at the time of the accident.

He was cycling back alone after a night out with friends and was not wearing reflective clothing or a helmet, according to a report cited by Spanish daily newspaper El Pais.

His family won ?33,000 (?24,500) compensation from Mr Delgado's insurance company after the firm acknowledged he had been driving at excessive speed and this could have contributed to the incident.

"I'm also a victim in all of this, you can't fix the lad's problems, but you can fix mine," Mr Delgado told the newspaper, ahead of a court ruling on his claim expected on Jan 30.

The parents of the dead boy said they had previously pitied Mr Delgado for the guilt he must feel at killing their son but were now disgusted that his greatest concern appeared to be money.

"This was the final straw, a kick in the teeth," Enaitz's mother Rosa Trinidad said. "How can someone be so shameless?"
What an unbelievably despicable bastard...

Very unbelievably despicicable...

The case sounds alot like that Police officer who went to rescure a drowning boy, but fell over and sued the home owners/parents for surgery payment. While the boy died/allmost.

i read that first line about five times because i couldnt believe what i was reading :mad:

I've always said that cyclists should have at least 3rd party insurance cover, seems sensible to me.

well yes, essentially you?re right...

but even if I was going 30 in a 50 zone and someone deliberately threw himself in front of my car to kill himself, I don?t think I would be capable of suing his family for the damage to my car...

ZOMG that's insane!! This guy deserves to be run over by his own Audi, and then the amount of damage caused to the car will be taken out of his bank account, but multiplied by 70.
(Also, that's another reason to hate the Spanish people XD)

I cam relate to this what a moron, my own experance is something simalar. After a accident with a predestrian which a fatality occured my car was written off. Not my fault but I would be damned if I was going to see about monatry compensation. Jesus is a bad enough living with it, without sueing some1. I am not saying it the guys fault bur he should have some sort of remorce, what he did, what he could have done.

I was going to post this yesterday but in the end I forgot. We're talking about a very special person here. The bastard has appeared on tv smiling as he said his car had been damaged in the accident and he had the right to some compensation.

This week there's been another two pieces of news that should have made the people in charge of traffic safety ashamed. First there was news from Barcelona, where a man had been found innocent of the charge of reckless driving because, according to the court, the definition of "reckless driving" in the code includes being drunk, and since this man was found sober as a judge after the police arrested him for driving at 60 kph on the pavement while trying to get away from the scene of an accident he had caused, the court dropped all charges and let him go.

The second was in Madrid, where an ambulance driver got a fine and 2 points for driving over the speed limit. The fact is that he was driving so fast because he was doing his job: carrying a patient to the nearest hospital as fast as possible. In the end the authorities will have to admit he shouldn't have been fined, but by now the Madrid Council has refused his first appeal, so he's stuck with the fine and (more importantly) the points.

With this kind of things happening, it's almost miraculous that the number of casualties on the roads last year was smaller than the year before. Of course, that ultimately has nothing to do with who is in charge.

So far, this asshole has my vote for "Worst person of the year"....we're still in January though

"The second was in Madrid, where an ambulance driver got a fine and 2 points for driving over the speed limit. The fact is that he was driving so fast because he was doing his job: carrying a patient to the nearest hospital as fast as possible. In the end the authorities will have to admit he shouldn't have been fined, but by now the Madrid Council has refused his first appeal, so he's stuck with the fine and (more importantly) the points."

There was case much the same in the UK a few yrs back. Involved a paramedic in a car/ambulance. It went though a speed camera emergency lights clearly visable in the photo it took. Points and fine. Dunno how it panned out, sure there would have been an appeal.

Litte bit of editing there, just for BlaRo. See I like you :D

Last edited:
The second was in Madrid, where an ambulance driver got a fine and 2 points for driving over the speed limit. The fact is that he was driving so fast because he was doing his job: carrying a patient to the nearest hospital as fast as possible. In the end the authorities will have to admit he shouldn't have been fined, but by now the Madrid Council has refused his first appeal, so he's stuck with the fine and (more importantly) the points.

I had no idea Spain had become a British colony.

Or...what zaybxcwd12 said.

Man, that's horrible. How can someone be so shallow? And how could there not be any criminal charges? Doing 100mph in a 50mph zone and killing someone??

Damn you Darwin...damn you.

Just to clear things up, this is a Spanish news story and not American.

Couldn't the family counter sue for wrongful death or something? I know OJ was found not guilty of crimes but lost the civil case against the family.

Mischief007: what state do you actually live in?

It takes a special kind of asshole to do something like that...

American teen reads story about Spanish asshole, feels obliged to launch lawsuit "against everyone who has helped to ruin my belief in modern society."