The Android thread

I dunno exactly what I did to my Vibrant, but after flashing Nero 5 and doing some battery reconditioning (running it from 100% to 0% 4-5 times in a row) I'm currently sitting at...
44% battery
Uptime 1d3h51m58s
2h18 Display usage
3 hours of music via Pandora
Emails, texts, blah blah blah,
all this on Wifi.

Woah. I seem to have taken a fairly large hit to battery life after flashing the Firebird kernel, but I haven't been able to recondition the battery properly so I'm not too concerned about it.

Worms is pretty good, 40MB download though.
Moving the Worms is a pain, they dont want to move.

I looked into it, and saw that it had a 2 star rating and that every single comment was that it didn't work and support wasn't helping..... exaggerated I'm sure but still not a good sign. Plus my phone would cry.

May not help that last point. But it can't hurt to try. For reference, Game Dev Story runs like shit but is barely playable and Angry Birds was not playable.

I can't get the thought of a Desire Z out of my head. I miss qwerty keyboards so much :(

Maybe I should wait till the next crop of phones come out? :think:

Tegra2 + qwerty - yums.

For typing, yes. But I want a keyboard for games, particularly emulators.

Swype was meh for me. Only 5% faster than a normal keyboard and HTC IME mod does certain things better. When I have to type as fast as the theoretical limit of swype, the problem will lie elsewhere.

Is there some kind of an overview of the Honeycomb tablets coming out soon? I think I want one, but not sure which. The Xoom looks promising, were it not for Motorola's habit of locking their hardware down hard and their update policy. The LG G-Slate is also good, but I'm not a fan of the whole 3D crap, that will only make it more expensive... as far as I understand, the announced Acers remain, as well as the Toshiba tablet and the Notion Ink Adam (I think they promised a Honeycomb update some time in the future, the hardware seems solid). Is there anything else I missed?

Is there some kind of an overview of the Honeycomb tablets coming out soon? I think I want one, but not sure which. The Xoom looks promising, were it not for Motorola's habit of locking their hardware down hard and their update policy. The LG G-Slate is also good, but I'm not a fan of the whole 3D crap, that will only make it more expensive... as far as I understand, the announced Acers remain, as well as the Toshiba tablet and the Notion Ink Adam (I think they promised a Honeycomb update some time in the future, the hardware seems solid). Is there anything else I missed?

I am in the same situation.
I just wish we had a "Google Experience Tablet" like the Nexus series of phones.

can i just share... darky's custom ROM (V9.1) for the Galaxy S is awesome! It's buttery smooth, and the battery life is excellent. I unplugged my phone at 97% charge and it's now at 56% with 24 hour uptime. I've been texting all day, a few calls, around 2 hours of music. It's awesome! Normally my battery would decrease as much as 20% as I sleep but this morning it only lost 2%.

Anyone else on Darky V9?

I just wish we had a "Google Experience Tablet" like the Nexus series of phones.

As far as I'm aware, that's what the Xoom is supposed to be, at least in the beginning. There were talks about Motoblur coming later as an optional OTA update, but originally, it's supposed to be the "reference device". Still, being made by Motorola, I'm afraid it won't have quite the qualities of the Nexus One.

can i just share... darky's custom ROM (V9.1) for the Galaxy S is awesome! It's buttery smooth, and the battery life is excellent. I unplugged my phone at 97% charge and it's now at 56% with 24 hour uptime. I've been texting all day, a few calls, around 2 hours of music. It's awesome! Normally my battery would decrease as much as 20% as I sleep but this morning it only lost 2%.

Anyone else on Darky V9?

Does it work with the Captivate?

As far as I'm aware, that's what the Xoom is supposed to be, at least in the beginning. There were talks about Motoblur coming later as an optional OTA update, but originally, it's supposed to be the "reference device". Still, being made by Motorola, I'm afraid it won't have quite the qualities of the Nexus One.

Oh really? I didn?t know that.
Sounds weird that Motorola would allow their hardware to be easily rooted/etc, but let?s see.

There's a difference between a Google device and a device running an AOSP rom. Check out T-Mobile's G2. As stock as can be (with a few pre-installed apps, but none of the usual manufacturer crapware) and the most difficult phone to successfully have been rooted yet.

===========

T-Mobile drops LG G-slate details -- Honeycomb, 8.9-inch screen, 3D graphics

https://pic.armedcats.net/i/ic/icebone/2011/02/02/T-Mobile_20G-Slate_font_20angle.jpg

At long last, after the tease at CES, T-Mobile has finally given details on its Android tablet -- the LG G-Slate. And we're simultaneously scratching our heads and dying to get our hands on this thing. Let's dive into the bullet points.

• 8.9-inch "3D-capable multitouch display" -- with the aid of 3D glasses
  • Android 3.0 Honeycomb
  • Nvidia Tegra 2 dual-core processor
  • Rear-facing stereoscopic video recorder, records at 1080p
  • 5MP camera with LED flash
  • 720p playback on the tablet, 1080p via HDMI output
  • 32GB of internal memory
  • Internal gyroscope, accelerometer
  • T-Mobile HSPA+ data, plus Wifi
That definitely sounds like quite the beast. We're going to withhold judgment on the whole 3D screen and video recording thing (and we might well get a look at both during Google's Honeycomb event). We just have to hope that it's better than what we saw from the Sharp Galapogos at CES -- and even then we might still need some convincing.
No word yet on official pricing and availability, though March 23 has been rumored. Check out the full presser after the break.

Last edited: