The Android thread

bs player migrated to android? Gotta check that out!

yeah, it only does software decode over lan but the auto subtitles feature is awesome. the app is free while they work on the pay version. the streaming is the best part, no wait, just play

Last edited:
Yeah, that's the one I've got. :thumbup:

Ok, thanks guys. I'll go for Mobo.

Galaxy nexus prices seem to be falling heaps lately.

The HTC One series will get an official release here. :D

What do you guys think about the One X? Quad-core is a bit overkill?

For a phone, yes. The One S looks like a much nicer package. Not the 720p screen, only qHD, but it is smaller, so PPI is roughly the same, but dual core is just fine for phone use, especially with hardware acceleration in ICS and it has that sexy AMOLED thang going which is the selling point for me.

Not overkill at all, but I'm not a fan of its aesthetics. I prefer the nice, curved top and bottom of the one S to the straight one X. I don't like phones that just look like rectangles with rounded corners.

Edit: on the quad-core thing, phones are getting more and more like computers all the time and like computers you want to future-proof by getting the best specs you can.

Last edited:
If the phone can actually be used as a computer, by attaching a screen and keyboard dock to it, yes. But for computing on the go, I really don't see quadcore being beneficial.

Interesting arguments, both of you...I just hope they're don't have a stupid price, which this being Brazil is pretty much expected.
I predict at least USD1,200 for the X, without a contract.

If the phone can actually be used as a computer, by attaching a screen and keyboard dock to it, yes. But for computing on the go, I really don't see quadcore being beneficial.

Two years ago when the best phones had about 600 MHz to work with, you'd have thought that 1.5 GHz dual-core would be overkill in a phone. Things change.

The more advanced the phone, the longer it takes to reach obsolescence.

Last edited:

This is the exact reason I plan on getting either a One X or GSIII. I've recently kind of lost the rabid need for having the latest and greatest phone just because shiny, so I figure I'll use this upgrade to get something fast and solid to last a long while.

This is the exact reason I plan on getting either a One X or GSIII. I've recently kind of lost the rabid need for having the latest and greatest phone just because shiny, so I figure I'll use this upgrade to get something fast and solid to last a long while.

I must say I am pretty excited about the SIII, because my experience with the SI has been stellar. 18 months of abuse and not even the phones stopped working.

I'm so bored with the SGS series. Plasticky rounded rectangles.

:yawn:

Buy an iPhone then, shiny design and a colossal selection of cases for your aestethic pleasure. :p

Seriously, I couldn t care less about exterior design in a phone.

Corners are sharp :p

EDIT: actually I was reminded of an interesting "problem" with my phone: if I place it on the base of my computer monitor stand, which is piano black and flat, it completely disappears. I've "lost" it right in front of my eyes several times.

Last edited:
Two years ago when the best phones had about 600 MHz to work with, you'd have thought that 1.5 GHz dual-core would be overkill in a phone. Things change.

That sounds more like an argument against buying a bleeding edge phone. How "future-proof" were those 600 MHz phones, again? :p

As much as I hated my Hero by the end of its use, I would have hated a Windows Mobile phone (most of the midrange at the time) even more. At least I still had multitouch and the latest Android. It was still technically "useful" if lacking in speed. There is of course a point of diminishing returns when it comes to the bleeding edge, but this time around (US contracts often operate on a 2 years cycle), I tried to go for something that would be a bit nicer to use later in its life.

How "future-proof" were those 600 MHz phones, again? :p

I can definitely tell you. My phone prior to the Galaxy S II was a Motorola Cliq. Ran pretty good on Android 1.5, but the moment Moto rolled out the 2.1 upgrade, it was intolerable. I really need to try to root it and put CM7 on it to have as a backup, but the procedure is just ripe for fucking up.