The Android thread

Thats the thing, this Desire would be a reasonably cheap way to get into the Android ecosystem without having to pay a fortune for another new uber-phone.

I'm currently not locked to any carrier, and I'd prefer to stay that way.

Unless you want to game on the phone, the 1 GHz cpu is enough for everything else.

I wonder if the Desire will get the later Android updates.

Thats what worries me about Android handsets - Being left behind very quickly due to the updates.

Interceptor,

Can you install LauncherPro without rooting your Vibrant? Rooting my Vibrant will PROBABLY be the first thing I do when I get it, but I'm just wondering. Thinking about getting insurance on the phone.

Can't wait to see the upcomming HTC Scorpion with a 1.5 GHz dual core processer! :D

Woo, Angry Birds coming to the Market on Friday!

Let's hope it's a good port, unlike say, Doodle Jump.

Thats what worries me about Android handsets - Being left behind very quickly due to the updates.
They say the optimal requirements for Gingerbread will include a 1 GHz cpu, so it should get that at least.

Interceptor,

Can you install LauncherPro without rooting your Vibrant? Rooting my Vibrant will PROBABLY be the first thing I do when I get it, but I'm just wondering. Thinking about getting insurance on the phone.
You can install all home replacements without root. This isn't iOS.

That'll be handy. I guess I just need to decide whether I should sell my HD2.

Interceptor,

This:
You can install all home replacements without root. This isn't iOS.
I was scared of home replacements at first, but basically it's just like an app you install and run. No need for rooting to do that. And you can run several home replacements in parallel as well.

Last edited:

I was kind of worried about that too at first, but sure enough, an official 2.1 update came and I might even be able to get 2.2 unofficially on my lowly Hero.

ZE VIBRANT IS MIEN.

Installed LauncherPro, currently in the process of rooting + uninstalling bloatware.

Parents + birthday present (albeit a day early) = ftw

Hooray!

Congrats man, have fun with it! :)

I want to use LauncherPro but I want to be able to switch back to stock Android UI if it messes up or something, but homeswitcher doesn't work with Froyo. Hrmph.

I want to use LauncherPro but I want to be able to switch back to stock Android UI if it messes up or something, but homeswitcher doesn't work with Froyo. Hrmph.

Settings>Applications>LauncherPro>Clear Defaults
Then hit the home button and choose away.

Launcher Pro, AWD Launcher and Helix Launcher (the best of the bunch atm) really aren't that much better than the stock Froyo launcher anyway, they're just alternatives for the non uninstallable home replacements that HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola and others put on. I think Helix Launcher is the closest it gets to Stock Froyo. I'm still sticking with sense, untill standalone widgets to replace its are made.

Launcher Pro, AWD Launcher and Helix Launcher (the best of the bunch atm) really aren't that much better than the stock Froyo launcher anyway, they're just alternatives for the non uninstallable home replacements that HTC, Samsung, Sony, Motorola and others put on. I think Helix Launcher is the closest it gets to Stock Froyo. I'm still sticking with sense, untill standalone widgets to replace its are made.

Sense might be uninstallable, but it can be turned off, just reset it's settings in the application manager and press Home. My dad somehow did it accidentally and I had a bitch of a time bringing it back :lol:

What Sense widgets are you holing on for?