The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

Not a B-24 Liberator. Note the row of windows.

This particular example, 111680, was called 'Gulliver' and was the plane that Wendell Wilkie flew on during his 51-day around the world flight in 1942.

:cool:

Another B-24 variant was the C-109 which was used to carry fuel to inaccessible places, like China.
Wiki on B-24 Variants said:
The C-109 was a dedicated fuel transport version of the B-24 conceived as a support aircraft for B-29 Superfortress operations in central China. Unlike the C-87, the C-109 was not built on the assembly line, but rather was converted from existing B-24 bomber production; to save weight, the glass nose, armament, turret fairings and bombardment equipment were removed. Several storage tanks were added, allowing a C-109 to carry almost 2,905 gal (11,000 L) of fuel weighing over 22,000 lb (10,000 kg).

Plans originally called for 2,000 C-109s to support 10 groups of B-29s (approximately 400) in China, but the capture of the Mariana Islands provided a far more easily resupplied location for raids on mainland Japan, and the plans were greatly scaled back. Only 218 C-109s were actually converted. After the transfer of the B-29s, the C-109s were reassigned to the Air Transport Command. According the history of the US Army Air Forces in World War II, at least one squadron was assigned to the IX Troop Carrier Command in Europe to transport gasoline to advancing ground and air forces on the Continent after the Normandy invasion.

Found on this link.
B-24 Liberator & variants ? the C-109 (Wiki)

This link shows how all USAAF aircraft, such as the C-87 & C-109, deployed to all the various theatres around the world.
USAAF - Army Air Forces in World War II Vol. VII: Services Around the World

Korean History 1950
An F-82 was first air to air combat victor versus a North Korean plane on 27th June, 1950.

Wiki on F-82 said:
With Lieutenant Colonel John F. Sharp in command, 27 F-82Gs of the 35 in Japan answered the call. Arriving in the early morning, they orbited Kimpo Airfield in three flights, each above the other. Suddenly, at 1150 hours, a mixed lot of five North Korean fighters (Soviet-built Yak-9s, Yak-11s and La-7s) appeared, heading for the airfield. One of the Yak-11s immediately scored several hits on 68th F(AW)S pilot Lt. Charles Moran's vertical stabilizer. Moments later, Lt. William G. "Skeeter" Hudson, also of the 68th F(AW)S, initiated a high-G turn to engage the Yak. Soon Hudson was closing in on the Yak's tail. He then fired a short burst at close range, scoring hits with his six .50 in (12.7 mm) machine guns. The Yak banked hard to the right, with the F-82G in close pursuit. A second burst hit the Yak's right wing, setting the gas tank on fire and knocking off the right flap and aileron. The North Korean pilot bailed out, but his observer, who was either dead or badly wounded, remained in the doomed aircraft. Parachuting down to Kimpo Airfield, the North Korean pilot was immediately surrounded by South Korean soldiers. Surprisingly, he pulled out a pistol and began firing at them. The South Korean soldiers returned fire, killing the pilot.

F-82 Twin Mustang ? Wiki link

:cool:

I still can't get over the BUFF's awesomeness.
b52-aircraft-carrier.jpg

wat

that's unpossible

:blink:

The B-52 was in Beirut, Lebanon undergoing routine fuel tank cleaning. Workmen accidentally damaged the bladder system and had to install the bladders from smaller C-130s temporarily. The plane was flown to nearby McCollough Air Base where it was lifted upon a barge bound for Tyre on the Mediterranean. Once there it was off-loaded onto the carrier deck for transport to Crete where the appropriate tank bladders were installed. It was then flown back to Beirut. Military cooperation in action.

Spanks. I did think it looked a bit fishy, mostly the shadow looking off.

Yeah the F-18 shoved under the nose didn't look quite right either. I didn't think it would fit under there like that:

Boeing_B-52G_061026-F-1234S-022.jpg

Yea, that just makes no sense. I mean for a large aircraft like that, I am sure they would just fly the parts in to fix it or at least fix it enough that it can fly to the closest base that can service it.

I hate to be the "I've seen enough shopped pictures in my day, pixels, etc." guy, but you can easily tell that's a shop -- look at the resolution of the B-52 compared to the carrier. It looks like someone saved just the B-52 at terrible compression.

The whole picture is horribly compressed, the B-52 just has more pixels than the other planes so its compression artifacts are easier to see.

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/he/heathrow/2010/11/25/Flight6-PanAmDitches-2.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/he/heathrow/2010/11/25/Flight6-PanAmDitches-3.jpg

Holy shit! :shock:

October 16, 1956 ? Pan Am Flight 6, a Boeing 377 Stratocruiser, is forced to ditch in the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and San Francisco; all 31 on board are rescued by a nearby United States Coast Guard ship.

(Nerd Note: 943 is the tail number for N90943)

Pan Am Flight 6 (Wiki Linki)

When I visited the USAF Museum in Wright-Patterson AFB a few years ago, I saw an F-82 but I don?t think it was the unpainted Betty Jo, it was a camouflaged example. Do they have more than one or was it a loan aircraft? :?