The Aviation Thread [Contains Lots of Awesome Pictures]

I heard a long time ago on beyond2000 that the wright brothers could have done their first flight inside the thing.

How true that it idk

I heard a long time ago on beyond2000 that the wright brothers could have done their first flight inside the thing.

How true that it idk

Well the first three successful flights of the Wright Flyer I were 120ft, 175ft, and 200ft. The Antonov has a ~142ft long cargohold. So in length, it's true. Unfortunately, the Wright Flyer was twice as wide as the Antonov cargo hold, so it would not actually fit.

You might just be able to fly one of these inside it though:

1178999_zps8778329c.jpg

/just guessing; to lazy to look up measurements

Are those lightweight planes and helicopters safe ?

If they wouldn't be they couldn't get a permission to fly. ;) In case of a crash not even the biggest planes are safe so that kind of comparison is redundant.

Yeah, i know that. I mean - are they harder to fly when the wind is strong ?

Funny part is, you need a multi-engine certificate to fly it.

Just remember guys, like the J3 Cub, it'll just barely kill you

Not having time to do the "before landing checklist" should not be in a pilot vocabulary.

Just found this DC-3 with Basler props on airliners.net.

Isn't she a beauty?

2180557.jpg

2171233.jpg

2170267.jpg

2166820.jpg

Serves at the South African Air Force.

Despite being first made, what, 80 years ago, the C-47/DC-3 still looks properly modern. Especially with redone engines and stuff.

Despite being first made, what, 80 years ago, the C-47/DC-3 still looks properly modern. Especially with redone engines and stuff.

Clearly, well designed & built in the first place. Happy to see them still flying even with turboprop engines and the Basler upgrade, though I still prefer to see them with radials.

:cool:

History

Great Moments in Travel History - April 2013

FBT said:
By Jesse Sokolow on 1 April 2013 - Frequent Business Traveller

Airplane manufacturer Svenska Aeroplan Aktiebolaget (SAAB) was formed on April 2, 1937, in Trollh?ttan, Sweden.

On April 2, 1977, a Boeing 777-200 set a record for flying around the world. The aircraft flew eastbound around the planet in 41 hours and 59 minutes.

Air Zimbabwe was formed on April 2, 1980. Currently, the airline has just two aircraft in its fleet.

On April 3, 1981, Juan Trippe, founder of Pan Am, died.

On April 4, 1947, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) was officially founded in Montreal.

Boeing received the largest commercial order by an airline at the time on April 5, 1966, when United Airlines ordered 66 jetliners with options for 39 more, and leasing of another 25.

Aviation pioneer Howard Hughes died on April 5, 1976, while flying onboard a Leerjet.

On April 6, 1924, four Douglas World Cruisers (named Boston, Chicago, New Orleans, and Seattle) begin the first successful flight around the world, departing from Sand Point near Seattle, Washington. The Seattle crashed in Alaska on April 30, and the Boston was irreparably damaged in the Atlantic Ocean, but the New Orleans and Chicago completed the journey, arriving back in Seattle on September 28, 1924.

Varney Air Lines (later Continental Airlines) launched operations as an air mail carrier in the U.S. on April 6, 1926.

The Loughead brothers flew their F-1 seaplane from Santa Barbara, California to San Diego on April 12, 1918. The brothers would later go on to found Lockheed.

On April 12, 1911, Pierre Pier made the first nonstop, passenger flight from London to Paris on, in a Bl?riot aircraft.

On April 12, 1928, Hermann K?hl, Gunther von Hunefeld, and James Fitzmaurice successfully completed the first non-stop flight across the Atlantic from East to West in a Junkers W33. The trio flew from Baldonnel, Ireland to Greenly Island, Canada, in approximately 36 hours.

On April 13, 1966, the Boeing 747 was officially launched. Pan American World Airways was the launch customer and placed a $525 million order for 25 747s.

On April 13, 1966, Boeing announced that it would build the 747 jumbo jet. Construction on a new plant to build the aircraft began in Everett, Washington, in June of that year

On April 13, 1925, Henry Ford started the first commercial flights that flew on a regular schedule, transporting airmail between Detroit and Chicago. Earlier that year, he formed the Ford Air Transport Service and was awarded the Chicago-Detroit and Cleveland-Detroit airmail routes.

American pilot Harriet Quimby became the first woman to fly across the English Channel when she flew from Dover, England to Pas-de-Calais, France on April 16, 1912.

Pan American Airways? S-42 Pioneer Clipper flew from California to Honolulu and onward in a preliminary survey flight for a transpacific air route to Asia from April 16 to April 23, 1935. The flight helped establish a new historical airmail route by the end of the year, ushering in a new era of business and travel for Hawaii.

On April 24, 1909, Wilbur Wright brought a photojournalist on a flight near Rome, where the first motion pictures ever shot in-flight aboard an airplane were filmed

Boeing launched the 787 Dreamliner program on April 26, 2004, with an order for 50 787s from All Nippon Airways (ANA).

The Airbus A380 made its maiden flight on April 27, 2005. The aircraft is the largest passenger airliner in the world.

The McDonnell and Douglas companies merged on April 28, 1967 to form the new McDonnell Douglas Corp., with headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri. James S. McDonnell became chairman and chief executive officer, and David S. Lewis served as president, while Donald W. Douglas was named honorary chairman of the board and served as ?Founder-Consultant.?

On April 30, 1935, a Douglas DC-1 broke its own transcontinental record, flying from Burbank, California to New York in 11 hours and 5 minutes.

On April 30, 1991, the 1,010th Boeing 707 rolled out of the Renton, Washington plant, ending a 35-year-old production run.

Virgin Launches Glass-Bottomed Plane

I?m thrilled to announce that Virgin has created another world-first with the introduction of the technology required to produce the world?s first glass-bottomed plane. This technological innovation coincides with the start of Virgin Atlantic Airways? first ever domestic service to Scotland.

In 1984 we started the wonderful airline that is Virgin Atlantic. I am incredibly proud of yet another aviation breakthrough which has been years in the making. I can?t wait to experience the first flight for myself with my family and other natural born explorers.

2012 was a year of celebrating what is brilliant about Great Britain and I?m excited that in 2013 we are continuing this uplifting spirit by developing an experience that will enable Little Red passengers to appreciate the beauty of the British landscape. And with an unrivalled view of Scotland I hope this gives Scottish tourism an even bigger boost.

We hope to trial the glass bottom technology with other Virgin airlines in time and have asked other Virgin companies to support this innovative trial and launch our new domestic Scottish route. This really is a team effort from all corners of Virgin.

By Richard Branson. Founder of Virgin Group

Link

Aww, that'd actually be cool if it were real! :(

On April 2, 1977, a Boeing 777-200 set a record for flying around the world. The aircraft flew eastbound around the planet in 41 hours and 59 minutes.

Amazing how an airplane set the record nearly 20 years before its own first flight!