The Return of AMC!

thedguy

rides with Rebecca Black.. in the back
Car(s)
(OO=[][]=OO)
From Hotrod.com

AMC Concept Cars - The Return Of AMC!
It's The Biggest Story Of The Year, And No One Saw It Coming.

Dateline: Kenosha, Wisconsin: It has been revealed that American Motors will return as a full-line, full-service car company to do battle with the domestics and imports in the highly competitive North American marketplace. Complete details of this shocking news story remain sketchy, but leave it to HOT ROD magazine to dig deep beneath the surface to unearth all kinds of surprises for anyone who digs cars. Sometimes a scoop just falls into your lap.

Let's start at the beginning. Roughly 10 years ago, a multimillionaire vintage AMC enthusiast tried to acquire one of the six remaining AMX/3 mid-engine prototype sports cars for his personal collection. He was told none were for sale at any price, so our mystery mogul decided to do the next best thing-he built his own. In the course of designing, drawing up blueprints, and interviewing potential shops to build his dream, the plan changed from a copy of an AMX/3 to a totally new, updated modern AMX/4. With strong European exotic influences, this would be an AMC like no other.
With the new Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro coming out, we've got the ponycar wars all over again, so it makes sense to reintroduce the Javelin and AMX and provide yet another marketplace alternative. AMC has big plans also for the Javelin as a platform for all sorts of racing efforts. The real news on the street, however, is the first-ever Javelin convertible. As to the powertrain for the Javelin and AMX, refer to the text. An independent rearend is an option in both cars.

Here's where things get interesting. In sensing a potential market for this new sports/GT with other enthusiasts, the idea was hatched to build these cars in series. Then the discussion turned to, "You know, wouldn't it be cool to bring back the whole company instead of just one AMC model? How wild would it be to build a new Javelin or AMX to go head to head with the new Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang? And how about a totally new Ambassador to compete with Cadillac or Lexus?

Our sources go on to reveal that the new American Motors will place a strong emphasis on cars that enthusiasts will want to not just own, but cherish: quality above all else, fun to drive, fast, fuel-efficient, and with great styling from the recently opened West Coast advanced-styling studio in Irvine, California. Of particular interest to HOT ROD readers is the news of a full-scale racing program to encompass NASCAR, drag racing, IMSA, and even off-road. Reportedly, a highly modified Javelin will make an assault on the Pikes Peak Hill Climb this July. A later run-possibly in 2010-at the Baja 1000 will celebrate the '67 Baja run of Spence Murray and Ralph Poole in a virtually stock Rambler.

Matador

This was a challenge for the AMC stylists but they pulled it off. "We erased the quirky and kept the rest," joked one designer. AMC wanted a stylish, midpriced four-door to compete with the Chrysler 300 and Chevy Impala. The signature AMC hardtop look makes it distinctive. Note the center-opening "coach doors," as AMC calls them.

You may be wondering at this point what AMC has planned for power for this superline of cars. AMC officials are extremely tightlipped on engine details other than to say they will be using some groundbreaking designs with innovative casting techniques and lots of new ceramics and lightweight alloys. However, engine displacements, number of cylinders, horsepower/torque figures, induction, or even what kind(s) of fuel they will use are still question marks at this point. One engineer did let slip a comment about a prototype nine-speed, constantly variable automatic trans (CVT) to go behind the V-12 in the Ambassador and AMX/4.

The funding for the new AMC is from a group of like-minded venture capitalists pooling billions of dollars to create the ultimate U.S. car company, and without the hindrance that comes with being a public company. One exec explains, "We got tired of these bloated, bureaucratic monoliths telling us what we want instead of listening to the consumer. We want cool cars! So to that end we will stay a privately held company so we don't have to answer to Wall Street. The idea is to stay relatively small to keep things manageable and keep the cars exclusive. We want to make a car so good that people would camp out overnight for it, like Apple's iPhone."

Ambassador (Executive Edition)
AMC needed a big formal sedan to offset all the sporty cars that make up the bulk of the new lineup. One styling trademark shared with the Matador and the Javelin/AMX is the revival of the all-American pillarless hardtop body style. Careful stiffening in crucial areas and judicious floorpan bracing make this possible. While past Ambassadors had rather nondescript styling, the idea with the new car is a dignified yet energetic presence that makes the Rolls-Royce Phantom look like the box the Ambassador came in. Special care was taken with the interior appointments, with the goal being to go head-to-head in quality and features with any automaker, regardless of price. "Lexus better watch out," our obviously impressed spies observed.

Gremlin

Presenting the new "it" car of college campuses everywhere. Like the Pacer, the Gremmie took to updating very well. With today's push toward smaller, lighter, and thriftier cars, AMC is in the catbird seat with this and the Pacer ready to go. In typical AMC fashion, the company dialed up the fun quotient, too. Care was taken throughout the entire range of AMC cars to come up with well-styled, exciting, fun-to-drive cars across all price points-something the other automakers could learn from.

Another mandate of the new AMC is that the cars are made entirely in the U.S. To that end, a modern state-of-the-art assembly plant is going up just outside of Kenosha, Wisconsin, with another smaller plant just breaking ground in Southern California for limited-production runs and special projects. This plant will interact closely with AMC's advanced-design studio in Irvine.

Are you excited? You should be, especially after gazing at these concept renderings that were leaked to us. Start saving now!

Pacer
If ever a car deserved a do-over, it's the Pacer. By just moving a few lines around and redoing the glass area, AMC came up with a really cool version of the ol' fishbowl. The new styling team: magicians or miracle workers? What's surprising is how easily the Pacer could be modernized. This car is slightly downsized so as to compete with the Mini Cooper, but it won't be as small. The performance and handling outclass the Cooper with the bonus of getting great fuel efficiency. Who knew a Pacer could be this cool?

AMX Coupe
Many people feel the original '68 AMX and Javelin were the coolest examples of the breed, so it was decided to base the new version of these cars on those classics, appropriately updating, detailing, and re-engineering them for today. The idea is to have the entire AMC lineup evolve like it has enjoyed continuous production. As in the past, the AMX and Javelin will share most major and minor components but will still remain unique cars.

AMX/4

An ambitious undertaking for a startup automaker, this mid-engine exotic wants to give the owner a Lamborghini experience at a Corvette price. The company flagship, it shares the newly developed "clean" V-12 powerplant with the Ambassador sedan. With the nine-speed, paddle-shifted trans, an AMX/4 mule in disguised form was radar-gunned on Germany's Nurburgring test track at 220 mph. The AMX/4's styling takes cues from the '68 AMX two-seater coupe-look hard, they're there-with a large dose of Lamborghini Gallardo for flavor. Get your order in early.

AMC Ambassador
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/amcambassador.jpg

AMC Javalin
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/amcjavelin.jpg

AMC Javalin Vert
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/amcjavelinvert_000.jpg

AMC Matador
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/amcmatador.jpg

AMC Gremlin
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/amcgremlin.jpg

AMC Pacer
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/amcpacer.jpg

AMC AMX Coupe
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/AMXcoupe.jpg

AMC AMX4 mid engined car.
https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/AMX4.jpg

No, these concepts are not in the works and AMC is not on its way back to the streets, so don't get your checkbook out quite yet 'cause HOT ROD and Steve Stanford are just jacking with you. This story created such a huge buzz, especially with you AMC fans out there, that we put it up here so even more of you can take a look.

I badly want the AMX4 and the Pacer concept (for a daily driver of course). The matador is just a sexy cruiser.

Last edited:
I was excited for a few minutes after I started reading the article then I got to the end.........:cry:

Heh, as soon as I saw that title I thought, "Is it April Fools already?"

This is a joke, right? I mean - it HAS to be! :blink:

AMC made some shit cars back in the day, but if they actually make them look like those concept drawings.... let's just say that Chrysler should be very worried.

I think this is the perfect time for them to reemerge into the market - Chrysler is on the ropes, Ford is in financial trouble and GM is... well, they are still just GM. If they manage to make the cars well and make them to last I think they could really put the screws to Chrysler as the weakest of the Big Three. I can see a place for the Gremlin and Pacer today; they were first introduced in the 1970s gas crisis, with fuel prices and eco-conscious buying I can't think of a better time to get them into the market.

If nothing else, it should alert Ford, GM and Chrysler that someone smells blood in the water. Whatever happens, the consumer should win. Too bad it's all just a hoax. I really like the look of those sketches.

EDIT - Apparently it slipped my mind that AMC is now part of Chrysler Corp. I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
I knew it wasn't going to happen. Those concept drawings are retro, but not in the good way either.

Are Studebaker, Nash, International and Eagle also coming out with new models?

I saw the thread title and said in a worried voice, "nooo...."

Phew.

https://pic.armedcats.net/2008/03/17/amcpacer.jpg

I laughed. I cried. I hurled.

Who's AMC again?

I knew it was a joke when I saw the gremlin and pacer. :(

if they'll bring back the AMC lineup ( which I doubt) I certainly hope that the gremlin will still be RWD with a V8 option..

Garth is sad

on the other hand i would buy a pacer or a gremlin