The Ultimate macOS Thread

^ from what I can tell the only difference between the big 130$ disks and the 30$ disks is the programs I never use like garage band etc. The only program that the snow leopard disk has on it is quicktime. \

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/ < this is worth a look though, its what doesn't work yet on it.

Not sure if it was discussed here, but I just learned that the Snow Leopard upgrade will work on intel-based macs still running Tiger. So that means I can upgrade for 25 bucks (on amazon) instead of $150! I ordered it already.

Really?? That's not the impression I got from the Apple website.

I have Leopard, so only a AUD40 upgrade.

Not sure if it was discussed here, but I just learned that the Snow Leopard upgrade will work on intel-based macs still running Tiger. So that means I can upgrade for 25 bucks (on amazon) instead of $150! I ordered it already.

Apparently Apple don't want people who have Tiger to update directly to Snow Leopard without getting the Mac Box Set because whoever did that would be breaching the user agreement. Strange I know. Article here

But in saying that, I don't really mind because I'm only paying ?7 for it instead of ?25 because of their up to date programme, and me buying iMac within a matter of days of it starting.

Really?? That's not the impression I got from the Apple website.

That's what I thought, but there were a few articles that stated differently. It breaches the user agreement, but I couldn't care less...i'm pissed at them for a couple of things anyway.

firecat - why did you miss out leopard?

Can't really say. I just never had the desire to upgrade. The only reason I am upgrading now is to run the iPhone OS SDK.

Wait WOAH. Snow Leopard uses base 10 for file size measurement. WTF :O

That's what I thought, but there were a few articles that stated differently. It breaches the user agreement, but I couldn't care less...i'm pissed at them for a couple of things anyway.

Can't really say. I just never had the desire to upgrade. The only reason I am upgrading now is to run the iPhone OS SDK.

You got me thinking about upgrading now. I'll be interested to know how smooth the process is because it's been recommended to do a back-up and clean install but that's a pain in the arse.

I don't have much 3rd party software that I use regularly. If I've got a previous iLife already installed it will remain with the upgrade, right?

Let us know how it goes.

I'll let you know. I have never done anything like this, so I will do a little research. I think I need to create an image using disk utility and store it on an external drive. I'm also going to find out how to backup my e-mail (on the Mail program for OS X).

I've only ever upgraded from one the very first OSX versions to the following version (back when there was a bunch of backward compatibility issues), being a complete noob I made copies of all my important stuff then did the install thinking it would be a clean install and found that it was simple and fast and everything was intact. I can't say for sure if emails remained because I've often had trouble with getting mail to work but I'm pretty sure they do.

Yeah seriously. 1GB = 1000MB :blink:

Well now when you buy a 500GB hard drive, it really shows up as a 500GB, not 476GB.

BTW, I should get my Snow Leopard during the day, I can't wait to try it out as I was already bluffed by the speed of the WWDC beta which was laking some of the new features.

Sad thing is I will have to stay on the 32 bits kernel for a while, I hope VMware unveils a 64 bits compatible version of Fusion soon :)

I'm gonna throw this out there because otherwise I will go mental. I just started to backup my hard drive, as I stated before, never done it.

I downloaded a program called superduper and carbon copy cloner. Right now I am using superduper and creating an image, storing it on an external hard drive. Should I just leave it at that? Or should I, just in case, do one using carbon copy cloner and also maybe disk utility? Or is that just overkill and I should trust the software to do what it's supposed to do?

I plan on copying my mailbox just in case.

I'm gonna throw this out there because otherwise I will go mental. I just started to backup my hard drive, as I stated before, never done it.

I downloaded a program called superduper and carbon copy cloner. Right now I am using superduper and creating an image, storing it on an external hard drive. Should I just leave it at that? Or should I, just in case, do one using carbon copy cloner and also maybe disk utility? Or is that just overkill and I should trust the software to do what it's supposed to do?

I plan on copying my mailbox just in case.

Superduper works, I know because that is what I use. Except now It does not anymore because I am on 10.6 and I also need to update THAT and it wants more money :(
But yes, I have made bootable backup copies of my HD with that.

Awesome, thanks. This is a free version though, I'll assume it works just as fine without shelling out any money.

I'll let you know. I have never done anything like this, so I will do a little research. I think I need to create an image using disk utility and store it on an external drive. I'm also going to find out how to backup my e-mail (on the Mail program for OS X).

The easiest way to back-up, if you got disk space and time, is to boot from CD (or log in as another user) and use tar to save your whole user folder to an external harddrive as in

Code:
tar civf /Volumes/YOUR_EXTERNAL_HD/backup.tar.bz2 /Users/YOUR_USERNAME/

Will take some time and after unpacking you'll most likely have to run "repair permissions", but it will include every setting and every file related to your account. Depending on the amount of files in your home directory (especially in the Music and Movies folders) this can easily result in a three-digit Gigabyte file eventhough bz2's compression rate is badass, so have enough space on your HDD ready.

If you prefer to only back up your mails without any export/import hazzle, just copy YOUR_HOME_FOLDER/Library/Mail to your external disk and replace the new Library/Mail folder with it later to get the backup back. (Do both steps while Mail.app is closed, of course)

Yeah seriously. 1GB = 1000MB :blink:
I still don't like this, but i guess we nerds have to accept that times have changed. Ten years ago, we used to call base 10 megabytes "marketbytes" because it made hard disks look bigger on paper than they were (which, in days of a-few-hundred-megabyte harddisks was still an issue). But sometimes in between the tide has turned, base 10 megabytes are an accepted industry standard and our old megabytes are now called "Mebibytes" (MiB). Apple got a lot of bad press from customer-orientated magazines for not using base 10 filesizes in Leopard, so they practically where forced to change it.

Last edited: