The Ultimate macOS Thread

I did, it doesn't cover downloading, unless I missed something.

Which means, you can download an application and while, you cannot drag and drop to the Applications folder without administrator access, you can still launch from a disk image or anywhere else you decide to put the app.

Last edited:
Hmm. sounds like a good idea. I must've missed that...

Hmm. sounds like a good idea. I must've missed that...

I thought you said you didn't have administrator access? You need to be an administrator to turn on Parental Controls.

I thought you said you didn't have administrator access? You need to be an administrator to turn on Parental Controls.

I think what he meant was, he has admin access and wants to limit another account, that hasn't.

Exactly.

I manage a somewhat medium sized venue. I'm not always there to make sure things are working correctly and such(I work full time and volunteer the venue). So, the people that are there feel that, because the computer in the room does not have all the little apps they use on their personal computer must be installed. It's quite frustrating. Every time I come in there, something is left on. They've gotten better but still.

e.g if you want to use spotify, use slacker radio or pandora instead.

Exactly.

I manage a somewhat medium sized venue. I'm not always there to make sure things are working correctly and such(I work full time and volunteer the venue). So, the people that are there feel that, because the computer in the room does not have all the little apps they use on their personal computer must be installed. It's quite frustrating. Every time I come in there, something is left on. They've gotten better but still.

e.g if you want to use spotify, use slacker radio or pandora instead.

Ahh. Then yes, create a standard user account and lock it down with Parental Controls. That should work.

Dunno if this is the right thread, but does anything have any idea when the new iteration of the Macbook Pros are coming (no optical drive, SSD, etc.)?

What about pricing? Do you know if they will increase the base pricing from the current models (starting $1199 for 13-inch).

Last edited:
The next refresh is expected at the end of summer, together with Mountain Lion.

I don't think they'll do away with optical drives, it's one of the main differentiators between the Air and Pro lines. However, I'm pretty sure one thing we can expect in the next Pro lineup are Retina displays, maybe as an option first. SSDs are available already, as ridiculously-priced options; again, since they are base in the Airs, I expect them to stay optional in the Pros, at least in the lower-range models. Another thing that could happen is a sizeable battery capacity bump, after seeing what they've done with the new iPad (almost double the capacity of the old one at the same price and weight) - for Retina screens, that'd be very much needed.

Check MacRumors Buyer's Guide.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

What I really want is an iPod Classic software update. the hard drive doesn't always spin down when I put it to sleep so it drains the battery.

Last edited:
The next refresh is expected at the end of summer, together with Mountain Lion.

I don't think they'll do away with optical drives, it's one of the main differentiators between the Air and Pro lines. However, I'm pretty sure one thing we can expect in the next Pro lineup are Retina displays, maybe as an option first. SSDs are available already, as ridiculously-priced options; again, since they are base in the Airs, I expect them to stay optional in the Pros, at least in the lower-range models. Another thing that could happen is a sizeable battery capacity bump, after seeing what they've done with the new iPad (almost double the capacity of the old one at the same price and weight) - for Retina screens, that'd be very much needed.

Yeah it's kind of crazy how Apple wants +$200 on an already overpriced hardware for a 128 GB SSD instead of the 5400RPM HDD in the Pro 13.

Could somebody replace the hard drive in a 3rd generation iPod with one for a 6th gen iPod classic?

^^ probably not but, they both share 1.8" ata so it could be possible.

New question, thinking about the black macbook, are they still a worthy contender?

I'm pretty sure the connector is different between these iPods.

Assuming the price is right and you go for one of the later specs (Early 2008 is the last gen for the Black MacBooks) then it can still be a zippy little machine that will be capable of running Mountain Lion, don't expect too much of it though. A friend of mine is still running his Early 2008 with an SSD and 4GB of RAM (it can actually go up to 6GB) and he's very happy with it :)

I'm still using a white macbook 2GHz. Still quite useful. My main machine is a gen one unibody Mini and I have an i5 PC for games.

Last edited:
I may have to rethink my "must get 15 inch macbook pro" dream then...I barely have time to game as is so a 13 inch plastic macbook could work fine (though I'll strive toward a aluminum one well...because aluminum...)

Can't wait until later this summer...hopefully I'll have enough saved up by then.