US of A Presidential Elections 2012

Conservatives make my head hurt. I feel dumber for trying to understand them especially when they believe that a civil war in this country is imminent. I need a beer.
No offense, but this is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Everyone on one side or the other. "If you don't believe what *I* believe, then you're a blithering idiot and the enemy."

Notice I didn't specify political leanings? As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to making general statements like the one above, they're interchangeable.

No offense, but this is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about. Everyone on one side or the other. "If you don't believe what *I* believe, then you're a blithering idiot and the enemy."

Notice I didn't specify political leanings? As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to making general statements like the one above, they're interchangeable.

So the Caliber isn't a awful terrible car with shit resale value?

I knew my fellow FG'ers were playing me for a fool...

I believe the winner-takes-all election system intensifies this problem. You have two choices, no alternatives, no multiplicity, no room for middle ground. I know there are third party candidates, but voting for those is basically throwing your vote away. The few independents actually getting elected are a rare exception, but mostly associate with one party.

Look at the Pirate Party movements in several European countries, they get a few seats in several parliaments on the first or second attempt. Now they have to prove themselves to be worth the votes, or fail next time - but they get the chance.
Whether that party in particular is a good or a bad thing is another story and dependant on individual views, however the possibility to do stuff like that is a Good Thing.

Listen, I have no issue with differing opinions. But when the discourse is concentrated on the actual belief that this nation will incur a civil war due to the outcome of last night, I have no choice but to take the opinion with a grain of salt and toss it in the ridiculous category.

Listen, I have no issue with differing opinions. But when the discourse is concentrated on the actual belief that this nation will incur a civil war due to the outcome of last night, I have no choice but to take the opinion with a grain of salt and toss it in the ridiculous category.
You'll get no argument from me on that front. Like I said, extremes on both sides drive me crazy, so I can understand why that "gave you a headache."

Was that posted already?

4Snag.jpg

Personally, I want that to happen. I'm in favor of anything that would make it legal to hunt and kill rednecks.

I have no problem with rednecks. I'd rather cull the baby boomers.

A7IsH39CYAE3r4S.jpg

Last edited:
Personally, I want that to happen. I'm in favor of anything that would make it legal to hunt and kill rednecks.

I have no problem with rednecks. I'd rather cull the baby boomers.

They argued that the left would fail since "they" have all the guns and also somehow they decided that the military would automatically be on their "side".

I believe the winner-takes-all election system intensifies this problem. You have two choices, no alternatives, no multiplicity, no room for middle ground. I know there are third party candidates, but voting for those is basically throwing your vote away. The few independents actually getting elected are a rare exception, but mostly associate with one party.

Look at the Pirate Party movements in several European countries, they get a few seats in several parliaments on the first or second attempt. Now they have to prove themselves to be worth the votes, or fail next time - but they get the chance.
Whether that party in particular is a good or a bad thing is another story and dependant on individual views, however the possibility to do stuff like that is a Good Thing.

Narf, I don't agree with you very often, but I concur 100% with you here. In fact just tonight, before I read your post, I was thinking that a truly viable third party would solve a lot of the problems we have with extreme bipartisan. We, as a nation, really need to stop hating each other (I constantly see utter hatred being flung back in forth on my stupid facebook wall) for any future progress. I hate the hate. It makes me sick.

County map breakdown:

http://img594.imageshack.**/img594/2456/1024px2012generalelecti.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2012_General_Election_Results_by_County.png

Judging by the numbers and comparing them to the last election it appears that one of the main problems for the Republicans was voter turn out.

I was one of those who voted for Romney (Please don't pigeon hole me, I am an atheist who cares little for social issues. I voted for Romney primarily for his stance on foreign affairs and the military budget)

Last edited:
Wow, it seems a great deal of 'area' voted Romney

Yeah...so all of Oaklahoma voted for Romney...but population wise, that's about the equivilant to just the city of Los Angeles. (roughly 3.8 million in each) This map isn't too far off 2008 or even 2004.

2012:
http://img594.imageshack.**/img594/2456/1024px2012generalelecti.png

2008:
800px-2008_General_Election_Results_by_County.PNG

2004:
2004_results_by_county.jpg

Last edited:
I voted for Romney primarily for his stance on foreign affairs and the military budget)
*laughs* No matter how wrong I think Romney is on economic and social issues, I can at least understand that there are people who want a traditional Christian pro-heterosexual patriarchal society and a small government.

But his stance on foreign policy is just a joke. It shows how clueless you are. But as that is an established fact around here, I'll let it slide.

I voted for Romney primarily for his stance on foreign affairs and the military budget)

Lot of corporate welfare in that military bugert. Can never understand how they blow so much on arvertisied and marketing, like sometimes running four or five cars in a NASCAR race.
363919.1-lg.jpg

I wish things were different here, but until we do away with private funding from corporations and unions we'll never see alternatives. It's almost impossible to be a politician in this country and not align yourself with a side to gain funding.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the current election system was installed in a time with no telephone, no radio, no cars, no trains, no national newspapers and no other means for people to actually get to know the presidential candidate. So they installed this electoral college system, which is clearly outdated now, seems more than just strange today and frankly is downright undemocratic.

What exactly prevents America from a big scale reform to make things fairer and plainer? Is it just the inertness?