Would you buy your current car again?

Would you buy your current car again?

• Total voters
I love my truck, but sucky fuel economy though :(

It's tough for me, I love driving the car but the comfort aspect on our crappy roads isn't up there with where it should be.

I dunno what my next car would be, maybe an audi s3 (2002+)

A definite no, but with caveats. I definitely wouldn't buy a Mk2 MR2 that was an automatic. I might not even buy a Mk2...it feels floppy and heavy in the twisties. If I could have found a good condition 87-89 Mk1 in good condition for ~$3,000 (ie rust-free and not in need of massive repair), I would have gladly spent the extra $5 for a pair of earplugs for the freeway.

I'd absolutely buy it again. It's the best think I ever bought, period.
Worth every penny.

If I had to change, I'd probably want a step up (ok several steps) and look for something far pricier (like a 911) since I probably wouldn't be happy with anything else in the same price range.

But I'll pay off my house mortgage first before I start thinking about that ( only $81,000 left to go :) ).

Great gas mileage and lots of interior space for my large frame...damn straight!

Yes.

My car is reliable, practical, fun to drive and doesn't look too bad either. It has served me well these past three years and if I had to do it all again I would choose the exact same car.

Yes. Best hand me down car ever, so good I'm no longer truly interested in another car. A fun sports sedan with strong Toyota quality even the body. Its not fast anymore partly because the Supra's 5M-GE doesn't like to rev high and the auto is geared a bit high, but its not slow and very confident in cornering despite some roll. When driven at higher speeds the normally quiet 5M can sound beastly. Even in snow, very predictable that I don't need to drive slow so long as my tires are good. Gas mileage? So long as I'm not stuck in a long slow traffic jam its mileage is comparable to even cars of today. Overall, its exactly what I want from a car.

Hmm, it depends. Let me make my case(s):

944 Turbo I bought it as a track car, but I enjoy the hell out of driving it. I found such a good example that I didn't have the heart to gut and cage it. The problem is 21 year old track cars sound romantic and you can write it off if you wreck it, but you're always waiting for the next part failure and the thing is always costing me money. It never ends. And then on top of it I pay the same rates to my mechanic/tuner as the guy with the brand new 997 Turbo. Sometimes I think I should have just bought the new sports car, I didn't save any money with this car at the end of the day. About the only thing I don't like is the broken AC and a few squeaks out of the glass hatch. But I love this frigging car, dammit!

Trans Am I wanted a black one with an M6 tranny. I was so impatient I accepted a red one with an A4. I regret I didn't insist on the manual (at the time it would have been my first and I didn't know what I was missing, it was a 50/50 proposition in my head). That's my only regret, I wish I got the manual.

Jeep Liberty I leased this thing for 3 years intending to get rid of it. 5 years later it's still with me, I can't get rid of it. It's a Jeep. It's gotten me through some deep shit (water up to the hood past the headlights, stuck in mud waist-deep), it's a loyal dog. If I knew I'd still be in it 5 years later, I wish I got the more expensive leather interior. Although, if I knew I'd get into offroading, I might go for something like a Toyota FJ or Nissan 2nd gen XTerra -- where you get locking rear diffs, etc. from the factory.

This is the dillemma. I have dreams of moving on, but I will miss the horses in my stable when I do.

I want an AWD luxo-sport sedan to replace the Jeep. I want all kinds of things to replace the 944 -- from a Z06 or Cayman S at the high end, to a Mini Cooper S w/ LSD or BMW 135i at the low end. I have intentions to keep the Trans Am forever, as a sign of a bygone era some day. Don't know if I'll make it that long, I was willing to trade it in on a Z06.

I'm always interested in new cars. I need to be Jay Leno with a stable of hundreds. When I'm told I can only have three cars, it's painful letting one go. If I bring home a Mini, which one of my babies gets sold?

Last edited:
No.

I want something more comfortable, more luxurious, decent power, and a manual.

An X-Type it is :p.

most definitely but i would have saved more money to buy a better example. i spent as much if not more fixing the first one as i would have spent for a GTX in better condition. i definitly would have bought the second one best 800 i have ever spent in my life although i would not have sold the first one so that i had a parts car.

Would I buy a 240SX again? Yes. Would I buy my 240SX again? No.

My particular 240SX has a lot of issues. The rear subframe bushings are shot, it needs a new clutch, new suspension, rust repair, paint job and could also use some other touches.

When I looked at it and test drove it, it seemed to drive just fine (and to be fair, it still does despite all of the things listed above) it looked OK, and the price was right.

The lesson I learned: no matter how good a (used) car seems, have a checklist of things to look at carefully and also have it checked out by a garage that you trust. Knowing these things before-hand, I would have kept looking for another car.

But what's done is done, and nothing here is irreparable. I just have to spend some money on it.

EXACTLY my case. I would buy another 240sx anytime, but I wouldn't buy the car chose back then, fully knowing its state.

it had a rusted frame rail (the other was redone), hole in floor under driver feet (guy said A1 floor and frame, yeah right...), rusted seat fixation, bad tie rod ends, broken ball joint, leaking gaz tank, rolling noise (brakes or bearing), and im sure there is more to it...

but when you like the model, all the reasons you find...

No. Not because I don't like my car, it actually surprised me quite a bit how much I like it.

But no, I'd never buy the same car twice. There are too many good cars being made.
How boring would it be to buy the same thing over and over and over.

I would buy my car again, but only have being with it for just over a week, I'm not too sure I should be one to talk. However, if I had to choice to re-buy the car that I've driven the most (my mom's 1995 Subaru Impreza L 1.8L), I would re-buy it, but probably with a manual transmission.

Tough to say. I love the engine in the Grand Prix, but I wish it had a 5/6speed manual rather than the 4-auto.. and if it was RWD.. and if the rear seats had a real pass through to the trunk.

No. Not because I don't like my car, it actually surprised me quite a bit how much I like it.

But no, I'd never buy the same car twice. There are too many good cars being made.
How boring would it be to buy the same thing over and over and over.

you have never owned a car that you loved so much the idea of not having one never even entered your head? i don't think i could go without a GTX sure they are old and expensive but i just love it so very very much. My parents own a WRX and 2 of my friends own Evos all of which i have driven and i would still choose my crappy little mazda with the glass transmission instead of a more current AWD Turbo car.

Tough to say with mine. For one it has its reliability problems which can be expensive. On the other hand it's something a bit unique and I love driving it. If I were living on my own, then no, I wouldn't buy another one. But once a wife and kids come along it wouldn't be too bad to have around. It's got good space inside but it never feels cumbersome to drive around town. But once that time comes around I'd probably be looking for something more car-like, perhaps a station wagon. (It's annoying having to almost stop to take every turn.)

As for my motorbike, yeah I'd get another XJ650. It's just about the perfect size for me: powerful enough that it doesn't feel like a scooter, but not so much that it's intimidating. And I just love the way it looks! Plus parts are pretty easy to come by for an older bike.

you have never owned a car that you loved so much the idea of not having one never even entered your head? i don't think i could go without a GTX sure they are old and expensive but i just love it so very very much. My parents own a WRX and 2 of my friends own Evos all of which i have driven and i would still choose my crappy little mazda with the glass transmission instead of a more current AWD Turbo car.

If I bought a car that I truly loved, I would keep it. Even if it became old and the wheels started falling off, I'd still keep it. I'd just go out and buy a new car for a daily driver and turn the old car into a project/resto. But I wouldn't trade my old car in for another just like it. I'd see what else there is out there.

Do you mean buy the same car you have right now or buy the exact same make/modle again? If it's the latter, then hell yes I would buy another Park Avenue Ultra. But that is if it was in brand new condition. And I'd buy it simply to be a parts car, I have too much love for my Buick to ever part with it and I'm ready to go to greath legnths to keep it alive.

Tough to say. I love the engine in the Grand Prix, but I wish it had a 5/6speed manual rather than the 4-auto.. and if it was RWD.. and if the rear seats had a real pass through to the trunk.

G8?