Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, worlds most expensive car?

avanti

Forum Addict
Car(s)
5 cars + 8 motorcycles
On the 17th of May this piece of art will be up for sale at the annual Ferrari auction in Maranello, it is expected to go for more than what Chris Evans paid for his California last year (7 million euro).

The car was made in 1957, frame number 0714TR, body by Scaglietti.

dfec9ca5.jpg

3f019b7d.jpg

411b9219.jpg

0bec5d3a.jpg

e6079c7e.jpg

a4b3c212.jpg

45a313a5.jpg

2f43e5ca.jpg

bc621d84.jpg

b40fc118.jpg

ab1b694a.jpg

22ee40a7.jpg

ff5de8c6.jpg

1daba887.jpg

4cb73429.jpg

66487ffe.jpg

1edaa07f.jpg

12ce50f1.jpg

God what a beautiful car...

Its very beautiful, but definitely not the most expensive. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know there have been cars that sold for more.

Its very beautiful, but definitely not the most expensive. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I know there have been cars that sold for more.

One of the Bugatti Royales sold for around $9 million in the 80's. Adjusted for inflation that may be the equivalent of over $10 million today.

if it does go for 7mil euros it will be the most expensive car sold at auction... as of march of last year the record for was held by the Bugatti Royal Kellner Coupe at 4.7mil pounds which is 5.4mil euros...

LINK to where i got the info

EDIT: i think the operative phrase here is "at auction" i am willing to bet there have been higher private sales

Last edited:

There may be cars that have sold in private trading that have exceeded the current World Record Auction price of $10,894,900USD, set by Evans' purchase of the California Spider last year, but I can't think of any. I'd love to see source on your belief.

It took 17 years to break the previous record of $10,756,000USD, set in 1990 by a Ferrari 250 GTO.

I think this car is in with a shout to break the record, with it's complete and irrefutable history, including having been driven by Phil Hill, Peter Collins and Wolfgang Von Trips. IMO, if there is a car being sold this year that could break the $11M barrier, it's this one.

Last edited:
What a beauty. I like how every detail ain't completely perfect. Gives it a touch of personality.

No, thanks.

I don't care how rare it is, even about the fact that it's a Ferrari. I would prefer a regular E-type to this.
Or if it has to be something more exclusive, then I prefer a simple 250GTO.

I've read that the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost is worth $49 million. :dunno:

^ The thread title is misleading - it should read "most expensive car sold at auction"

Guys, dyslexic are we?

The most expensive car sold at a car auction was the Ferrari California that was sold for 7 million euros last year, they think this will go for more.

It's not their fault - your thread title and post wording is unclear and doesn't mention anything about this potentially bringing the highest auction value specifically.

Last edited:

You're referring to a specific car out of what's known as the Silver Ghost line(originally called the 40-50hp) that was sold for about 20 years in the early 1900's. This was way back when Rolls Royce was still young, the "Silver Ghost" was the specific car that was used to demonstrate to the world that Rolls Royce was to be taken seriously. The vast majority of 40-50hp's are referred to as the Silver Ghost as a result. So if any Silver Ghost is worth $49 million, it would be the very first one that was given that name and which gave Rolls Royce the initial push into the spotlight.

No, thanks.

I don't care how rare it is, even about the fact that it's a Ferrari. I would prefer a regular E-type to this.

E-Type is just a pill, 250GTO is obvious, this is..slightly less so

No, thanks.

Rarity is one thing

with it's complete and irrefutable history, including having been driven by Phil Hill, Peter Collins and Wolfgang Von Trips.

Heritage like that is something else all together

A car's appraisal value and an auction selling price are very different animals. While they may appear to be of the same family, they are created through vastly different means.

Just because a car is appraised at a specific monetary value doesn't mean one has ever sold at that price, or ever will.

Just because a car is appraised at a specific monetary value doesn't mean one has ever sold at that price, or ever will.
I'll start the bidding for my authentic 1991 Nissan 240SX at US$18 billion.

Those media stories are incorrect. There was no such auction. There was no sale of a 250GTO for ?20M, or $28M, or ?15.7M...

One traded privately around that time for an exceptional amount, but according to the experts, including Marcel Massini, it was for "much MUCH less" than the media was reporting at the time.

Last edited: