17th December Race - ASClub/ FXR,FZR,XRR,FOX (2h Endurance)

ESPN... 2stops seem very doable though... but 47laps on R2 is impressive... what sort of laptimes though?

That's the thing on the 2 stop strategy, I was running 1.02's, 1.03's.
In the 3 stop I'm running 1.01's, so I don't think it even makes sense for me to persue a 2 stop strategy anymore.

has anyone timed how long it takes for a tire change?... I believe it was 10secs though... plus the extra time going in and out the pits... it might equal out.

Haven't timed it, but I would expect that with pit entry, exit, tire changes, fuel (and no doubt damage repairs), it'll probably 45-50 seconds for 1 pit stop.
But let's say you're 0.5 seconds per lap faster if you pit 3 times instead of 2, then over 120 laps (not counting the extra pit stop) you'd be 60 seconds faster total.
Subtract from that the 1 extra pit stop, and you'd end up 10-15 seconds ahead. (and I haven't factored in the fact that your pit stops on a 3 stop will be faster because it won't take as long to fuel.)

ESPN how comes you are taking the FXR?

I was thinking that you'll go with the FZR, cos you havesubmitted a hotlap 2 days ago:
FZR (14-12-2005)
0:59.670
:ph34r:

But I just saw this as well. :p
FXR (15-12-2005)
0:59.980

I did yesterday a practice session with firefox, doing 1:00-1:01s with default WR setups & 100% fuel load. Did a pit in lap 36, change tire if wear >40%, all were changed. Biggest problem was engine popping and loosing massivly power. :cry:
So I could even risk 2stop strategy with stock WR setup, but I gotta do some testing, and see if it's faster on 3 stops. If I go 3stop strategy, I'm gonna use WR setups probably without any modding. If I go 2stop strategy I'll have to mod the camber/pressure a bit to avoid blowing tires.

I haven't done any testing for the past 2 days. Can't find the time due to work.

pdanev said:
ESPN how comes you are taking the FXR?
I haven't really made my mind up yet, but I'll probably end up with it.

The FZR kind of eats the R2s and seemed slow with R3s (and sucks a lot more fuel), but I was planning to give it another look.
I also looked at the XRR, but I find that car hard to read at times.

pdanev said:
I was thinking that you'll go with the FZR, cos you havesubmitted a hotlap 2 days ago:
FZR (14-12-2005)
0:59.670
:ph34r:

But I just saw this as well. :p
FXR (15-12-2005)
0:59.980
I tend to start preparations for a following week's race by trying to do a fast lap with each car. ;)

pdanev said:
I did yesterday a practice session with firefox, doing 1:00-1:01s with default WR setups & 100% fuel load. Did a pit in lap 36, change tire if wear >40%, all were changed. Biggest problem was engine popping and loosing massivly power. :cry:
So I could even risk 2stop strategy with stock WR setup, but I gotta do some testing, and see if it's faster on 3 stops. If I go 3stop strategy, I'm gonna use WR setups probably without any modding. If I go 2stop strategy I'll have to mod the camber/pressure a bit to avoid blowing tires.
I was really struggeling to get into the high 1.01s with a modded WR setup, and usually ran a 1.02 to 1.03 with 100% fuel (but maybe that was just my driving.)
I haven't tried running the WR setup with 100% fuel since I seemed to kill the tires fairly quickly with a lot less fuel than that.
In any case, I doubt I'll be able to keep up with you. :(

ESPNSTI said:
I tend to start preparations for a following week's race by trying to do a fast lap with each car. ;)
Yeah that's what I do as well. Start up with the WR setup, see how the track feels, try to do a few quick ones, and then do some long run tests if time allows me to do so. :)

Mischief007 said:
I haven't done any testing for the past 2 days. Can't find the time due to work.
Almost same here. I have been busy with school and started to play Civ4 :p
Anyway, did manage to do a test with my setup, and blew a tyre on lap 36 or something like that and I was only doing 1:03s and only few 1:02.50s, so I'll have to tweak some more. I had some problems with the tyres cooling down too much towards the end. Hopefully I will get my setup working before the race.

I haven't done any testing the past 2 days... but I have modded the FXR setup to the way I like it... I always have to do extensive modding the FXR setups because I prefer 50:50 4WD distribution so all the diffs have to be redone and re-tested.

This is where I'm lost. Modding the setup to fit my style. I watched the replay of the WR and my lines are exactly like the record holder. So that's great. When I drove the record holder's car, I LOVED the brakes. The car basically stopped quicker without locking the brakes up at all and I could give it more pedal pressure. Therefore very late braking.

So it looks like I'm dead last in this race which means Andy will take beat me out for the season.

^ Mmmm, why that?

I thought things were going pretty well, that you could do consistent time and that you'd go for a 2stop strategy. :unsure:

mischief007 said:
So it looks like I'm dead last in this race which means Andy will take beat me out for the season.

mischief #1, I'm on the mouse remember.

and mischief, you should learn to use the advantages of the setup during the race. for example, my setup has a 50:50diff distribution just like Subaru's. As a kid, I've always watched my cousins/uncle drive Subaru's and Galant VR4's on the track and around windy roads and see how they drive the 4WD cars compared to RWD's. 4WD's have lower straight-line speed compared to RWD's, but they can corner much quicker than RWD's and you can apply the throttle very very early without fishtailing, therefore making your exit speed much quicker.

After going back and forth, I made up my mind, I'm picking the FZR.
The point of this exercise is to have fun right?
Hell I was making more mistakes in the FXR because I lost concentration because I got bored after a while. :lol: (And that sure didn't happen with the FZR. :p )
Not sure if I'm slower or not than the FXR on average, but I love to drive the FZR, so why not. :)
I think I'll be in the low to mid 1.01s most of the time, with an occasional dip in to the 1.00s.
I can (barely) last 30 laps with the FZR on R2s (provided I don't have a high speed spin), so it's quite a risk.
Obviously I'll be on a 3 stop strategy (kind of forced to with a 2.8% per lap fuel consumption).

Note: Just to let you know (so you don't accidently run in to me) I'll need to brake a lot sooner with the FZR than with the FXR.
On the first corner I'll need to brake at the beginning of the shadow under the bridge (rather than at the end of the shadow for the FXR).
And on the last corner, I'll need to brake at the first tire wall (on the right in the grass), rather than just before the second with the FXR.

The FZR eats fuel and tires. And even with R3s by the mid 30s the tires have more than 90% wear. I'm not taking the other cars because I didn't like them when I drove them.

Right now I'm lapping consistently 1:03 and lower. The lowest I got was a high 1:01. :(

thx... will take note of that ESPN... but I'm pretty sure everyone would brake pretty early... we all need our tires :D. and btw, I just realized, if we could monitor brake temperature and wear, this track would have the highest wear... we go from 6th gear to 2nd twice in a minute :D

and note, I will also be braking abit earlier as well because I'm on a mouse and also because I need to preserve my tires thus reduce the hairpin's cornering speed

Brave choise ESPNSTI :thumbsup:

I'm sticking with FXR, can't handle FZR reliably enough. 3 stops for me too. But... tires are open question. I want to take R2's (I'm significantly faster with them) but I just don't know If they'll last 30+laps. I did a test run, but crashed badly at 22nd lap, so I've no idea if they wouldn't blow up before 30. Got to do that all over again... And I don't have much spare time at the moment :(

Also was practising pitting for an hour or so :) In every race I loose positions while pitting. Time to learn to do that properly :)

Was planning on 3 stops, which would be every 30 laps.. In my test run i blew out a tyre on lap 29.. but then i did break my PB 3 or 4 times in that run. I'll need to be careful.

And, i know this has been covered in other threads but i'm new to this, so what time do people connect, and what's the server name/pass? I remember seeing it before..