Best unbustable car?

Except for when they eject the rear spark plugs, starve for oil at the back of the heads, and/or have their intake manifolds shatter. :p

I'd forgotten about that little intake problem.

Only heard of the intake shatter with nitrous, NEVER heard of the rear plugs blow out on a DOHC, and I've only heard of starving for oil at the back of the heads at 150+mph under load.

(This is from personal experience btw)

My friend had the intake blow apart in his stock 4.6 Cougar, so while not a common occurrence, it can happen.

I'd forgotten about that little intake problem.

My friend had the intake blow apart in his stock 4.6 Cougar, so while not a common occurrence, it can happen.

The cougar has a sohc. I'm talkin about the DOHC engines. I'm a member on svtperformance with over 6,000 posts. :lol:

I know the heads can starve out at high, sustained speeds, but never heard of anything under normal driving. Never heard one story about spark plugs blowing out.

The cougar has a sohc. I'm talkin about the DOHC engines. I'm a member on svtperformance with over 6,000 posts. :lol:

I know the heads can starve out at high, sustained speeds, but never heard of anything under normal driving. Never heard one story about spark plugs blowing out.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/ford_spark.html

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/p...r=DP05005&SearchType=QuickSearch&summary=true

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-BQbU74jWg

http://www.allworldauto.com/inv/NHTSA_2000_ford_mustang_cobra_r_investigation_9841.html

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50793

How would you prefer your crow prepared? :D

Last edited:
I thought the spark plug issue was mostly on 05 and up Mustangs/anything that has the motor. I know a couple of guys with some SN98s and they were talking about their spark plug issues. Never heard about it on anything else.

I owned a 1992 F150 , it shared the same cab/interior/random parts with the f250 of the time if i'm not mistaken..... all i can say ist that that thing was nearly unkillabel

still hitting myself for selling it....I love the Dodge but man if that ford could talk.....

Unbustable, eh?

Mercedes_W123_1_v_sst.jpg

Non truck wise, lots of people mention the toyotas, but I've sat in a bunch of old celicas, camrys, cressidas? and they all had issues with mechanical resonance, untorquing odds and ends around the cars. Sounded like bolts and nuts are moving about... scary..
I've owned two of the early FWD (4th gen, iirc) Celicas and they were both fairly solid cars. I flogged them like Bubs360's friend did his Subaru and they both ran to over 250k. The only 'resonance' I had to deal with was when the their mufflers and/or flex-pipes were destroyed. :lol:

1986 GTS: Went over 250k miles, blew a headgasket after going 120+mph for forty minutes on the interstate.
Celica002.jpg

1988 ST: Died somewhere over 300k miles; started knocking on the highway. 6 months later, without a jump or fresh gas and very low on oil it started up and drove onto a flatbed.
88CelicaST.jpg

Sorry to post such shit beaters, but I miss my Celicas. :cry:

Thing about the Northstar, save for the very recent ones, is that they run perfectly until 125-150K, then they just totally disintegrate, apparently.
A friend of mine back in high school had a '95-'97 Seville STS with the 300hp Northstar. It leaked oil like a sieve, was flogged relentlessly and the silly bastard even ran nitrous through it ... it still died right on cue at 150k. I don't think any of us thought it would live that long. Personally I always thought it was a shame they put such a great engine in those boats.

Last edited:
Unbustable, eh?

Mercedes_W123_1_v_sst.jpg

The turbodiesel W123 has a known weak auto transmission. The regular diesel and gasser auto transmissions aren't much better. Other than that, pretty unkillable.

Post doomsday I'd definitely be looking at diesels. When all the refineries go to dust, you can still run diesel on relatively crude stuff like parrafin and ester oils which will be easier to get back into production.

That said, i'll have a diesel LC80 land cruiser.

I will second (or is it third) an old RWD Volvo. 240/740/940 use the same engine/tranny/rearend (IIRC) so parts are cheap and plentiful.

^^Also going doomsday, the Taliban Truck- 1989-95 Hilux Diesel Limited. Those engines can clock over 1,000,000m before dying, and most of the truck itself really is ridiculously durable. Plus the Limited or whatever denoted special edition came with a bull bar and more durable bits, so it only becomes more hard to kill. I would hardly be surprised if the TG tests turned out to be true- I've seen real pictures of the damn things on 750k. Plus, it's very simple, has a large bed for (following apocalypse theme) carrying anti-zombie assault rifles and scavenged crap, and though I'm not positive I think it actually had a couple of comforts (stereo, aircon maybe?) in the Limited version as well.

As someone who had a 1976 245DL - that car is un-bustable. It got rear-ended twice and each time the bumper pushed itself back into position.

1986 GTS: Went over 250k miles, blew a headgasket after going 120+mph for forty minutes on the interstate.

huh? how did you manage that? I've driven for way longer than that, and for way faster than that without problems

arent your cars "Vollgasfest" (full throttle proof)?

huh? how did you manage that? I've driven for way longer than that, and for way faster than that without problems

arent your cars "Vollgasfest" (full throttle proof)?

It did have more than 250,000 miles on it though. :lol:

I'd like to say I already have an unbustable car, but after a week of trying to get the starter working only to find out the problem was the earth I'm not sure if I can say that. Starter motor was in mint condition though, wonder if it's the original.

^^Also going doomsday, the Taliban Truck- 1989-95 Hilux Diesel Limited. Those engines can clock over 1,000,000m before dying, and most of the truck itself really is ridiculously durable. Plus the Limited or whatever denoted special edition came with a bull bar and more durable bits, so it only becomes more hard to kill. I would hardly be surprised if the TG tests turned out to be true- I've seen real pictures of the damn things on 750k. Plus, it's very simple, has a large bed for (following apocalypse theme) carrying anti-zombie assault rifles and scavenged crap, and though I'm not positive I think it actually had a couple of comforts (stereo, aircon maybe?) in the Limited version as well.

The ones we got here had a cassette player and aircon (a really good one at that) as standard.. no power windows/side mirrors though..

^Power windows do not equal durability. Another thing that can break and by its own nature is difficult to get to while fixing it, and doesn't really offer any benefits in the bigger picture (ten more seconds and some arm work).

When looking at the scheme of things, for me, the F150 beats the rest because of the enormous availability of parts. Every junkyard here has probably 50 F150's. Parts for domestics are generally quite a bit cheaper than imports at part stores too. So 4.9 F150 for me this summer. Look forward to photos and videos of the beast in action!

yeah, but you could still get them.. two or three different trims..

I get it, just saying for a post-apocalypse vehicle, automatic windows are out.

As are CDs. (Cassettes are technically mechanical and repairing a cassette or fashioning a new one would be much easier than attempting to repair or make a CD, although considering this is a world-ending thing music isn't the first priority is it :p)