Forum Suggestions / Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you restrict the videos you post? Anyone can hit the youtube/vimeo url and post it to anyone.

I'm leaning against this for the moment. While it would be nice to have a section away from the general public, it would more than likely divide the forum due to those who would be allowed into the section and those blocked from it. Sort of saying that you want to be an attention whore, but don't want anyone to know about it.
No it wouldn't restrict anyone from posting the link forward but it would make it harder in the first place to get in to the wrong hands.

I'm not suggesting to block anyone who's registered member of the forum out from the section.
That means only the enthusiasts who take their time to register on the forum would be allowed to see it and probably limit most of the ones I'm not willing to share the stuff out.
There are generally maybe three types of people:
1. the majority who don't care
2. the jealous basterds who hate you because you've got something they don't have so I don't want to show them anything in the first place
3. the real car guys who are actually interested in your cars and like to discuss about them

I'm hoping that most of the people who are registered belong to the last category. I also belong to the last category and am happy to share stuff about my cars as much as possible for other car guys. Why? Because I love cars.
Well, one could assume that the category 2 wouldn't find its way here. That's what I've been hoping but as I said I'm from a quite small town where everyone knows everyone. So obviously all the jealous people would be very interested if someone found the page by accident. It's not the end of the world but I really have to restrict the stuff I'm willing to post here because of that.

Another issue is that I'm quite sure words "1968 Dodge Charger Hemi" get googled a lot. Unfortunately they made under 500 of those so there isn't much to show. They are quite unique cars and for numerous reasons I don't want it to be my car that pops out the first.
Anyway, again, I'd like to share stuff about it with the registered members of this forum.

This has been written entirely from my point of view and I don't know if others want to share their cars with the whole world. I've just learned to keep a little lower profile on this kind of things. People who don't understand get easily a wrong impression.
I'm not here to show off I'm here to discuss with other car guys.

Last edited:
I don't see a convincing reason to create a registered users only "post your car" subforum, especially for just one thread. Sorry.

Another issue is that I'm quite sure words "1968 Dodge Charger Hemi" get googled a lot. Unfortunately they made under 500 of those so there isn't much to show. They are quite unique cars and for numerous reasons I don't want it to be my car that pops out the first.

...and by posting that phrase, you've associated your FG username with that phrase, enabling everyone googling for that phrase to see you own one.

Also, just post it in NSFW if VQ don't mind :lol:

...and by posting that phrase, you've associated your FG username with that phrase, enabling everyone googling for that phrase to see you own one.

Also, just post it in NSFW if VQ don't mind :lol:
I don't care if people know that I own one. I just don't want the material I post about it to be used for wrong intentions. Believe me, it happens with these cars.
And I don't want the people who know me gets a wrong picture that I'm showing off with my cars on the Internet. That's not my intention. My intention was to post a blog about them and discuss about them with other car nuts. Too bad all the people won't see it that way.
I'll probably post very limited info, if any, about the Charger for the above reasons.

I don't see a convincing reason to create a registered users only "post your car" subforum, especially for just one thread. Sorry.
Ok it's your forum and you make the rules. I'll just have to live by them.
I expected there would be no downsides to turn the post your car section for members only. Apparently others then want that their threads can be posted forward for non finalgear members.
Making a completely new subforum only for me would be ridiculous, I agree. Didn't want that.

Last edited:
There are people who have posted material that they did not want random folks to see in the NSFW forum. I second the suggestion that you post anything sensitive there. As an added bonus, people who have registered but don't have many posts won't be able to see it either. Just put a note on the first post explaining why it's in NSFW rather than General Automotive, so people don't report it thinking you made a mistake about which forum to put it in.

Exactly.

The "Not Safe For Prying Eyes Thread" was set up based on that idea.

Pry, there is a way to post your car in a more appropriate section of the forum. You need 31 more posts.

Ok it's your forum and you make the rules. I'll just have to live by them.
I expected there would be no downsides to turn the post your car section for members only. Apparently others then want that their threads can be posted forward for non finalgear members.
Making a completely new subforum only for me would be ridiculous, I agree. Didn't want that.

I agree with the bolded part. I don't see a single reason why would that subforum *need* to be open to public.

So is it just that admins don't want to change the status quo, or is there a specific reason to keep it public?

Well, if it's ok I could post a thread on one of these private sections once I have something to post.
Maybe I should make a seperate thread for the BMW on the post your car section and one for the Dodges on a private section.
Pry, there is a way to post your car in a more appropriate section of the forum. You need 31 more posts.
You mean the driving roads or the NSFW-section?
Is there a post limit on the NSFW-section?

I don't think there is a minimum post count for NSFW, but I don't pay too much attention to that forum. 300 is the minimum for Driving Roads.

There's no limit for NSFW, but you have to not be an idiot, rude etc etc. Also have to be of age.

I instantly deny your request to join the nsfw section if you fit any of the below:
-No posts
-New registration
-Sporatic posting (just a few posts over the years)
-Stupid message in the join request box ("I am over 18", "because I want to", "I dont like closed doors", "I Want To Join The NSFW Section")

I instantly deny your request to join the nsfw section if you fit any of the below:
-No posts
-New registration
-Sporatic posting (just a few posts over the years)
-Stupid message in the join request box ("I am over 18", "because I want to", "I dont like closed doors", "I Want To Join The NSFW Section")

Hmmm.... I originally joined while failing all the above requirements D:

Maybe its time i spent idling in irc.... >_>

Lots of people fail one or more of the above. But they keep very very quiet. :p

I agree with the bolded part. I don't see a single reason why would that subforum *need* to be open to public.

One obvious reason: The "post your car"-threads contain more helpful advice and illustrated step-by-step guides for everything from f-body engine swaps to megasquirting an old Jag than, let's say, the Q&A section. I think it's a good thing that these vast resources are available to the google-using public.

Originally there weren't any restrictions (sans the age part).

Originally there weren't any restrictions (sans the age part).

Even that wasn't a really big requirement- I joined NSFW at 17 :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.