Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

3 or 5 series wagon?

jsedko.png

:cool:

I went to get my tires changed today. One of my rear tires is illegal, and the rest have maybe 2mm of thread. I had reserved a time and everything, drove there, and couldn't get on the damn ramp because of my stupid, rusty, low hanging exhaust.. Oh the humiliation.:unsure: Even if I could have gotten on the ramp, they wouldn't have been able to lift my car since it would break what's left of the exhaust.

n1338605099_30162671_8292061.jpg

Well, it turned out that they didn't have the tires I needed, so I couldn't take them with me (I'm quessing they were lying, since then I would have had a friend put them on the rims) And they tried to cheat me on price of the tire swap.

Overall experience: Fail.

I think i spend too much time under my car. I immediatly recognised that as the underside of a sierra :p

What's wrong with a 5-series?

In the US at least, a 5-series wagon with awd and the twin-turbo I-6 costs the same as the X5 with a V8. You get more space in the X5 and though the mileage is worse, it's not drastically worse. If you don't mind driving an SUV, and the X5 isn't exactly a Suburban, then it may make more sense than a 5-series wagon.

The streets of downtown Boston are insane. I will never drive into the city again unless there's free valet parking at my destination.

I saw a 1965ish Mercury Park Lane Convertible (at least thats what I think it was) for sale today. I know for a fact it was a Mercury from the 60s, but I'm not sure on the model. Did a quick google search, and the Park Lane is the closest visual match.

Didn't get a price or anything since it was 2:30am, but I really really want it since it looked awesome and in decent condition.

It looked more or less like this, but a browinsh/tan color.

http://img19.imageshack.**/img19/2848/1965mercury.gif

Might go back later this weekend for more details.

Went back today. Turned out to be a 1965 Mercury Monterey, but in day light I could see that it wasn't worth it. Convertible top had holes and no rear window. Interior was all garbage. But the body panels looked nice, no rust, no dents, original paint.

Went back today. Turned out to be a 1965 Mercury Monterey, but in day light I could see that it wasn't worth it. Convertible top had holes and no rear window. Interior was all garbage. But the body panels looked nice, no rust, no dents, original paint.

Tops and interiors are something you can replace yourself if you have the space and are willing to buy a few tools. If the only problems a car like that has are fabric related, easy and usually a fairly cheap fix.

In the US at least, a 5-series wagon with awd and the twin-turbo I-6 costs the same as the X5 with a V8. You get more space in the X5 and though the mileage is worse, it's not drastically worse. If you don't mind driving an SUV, and the X5 isn't exactly a Suburban, then it may make more sense than a 5-series wagon.

Probably shows the popularity of it...but does the US really get the 5 series wagon? I don't think I've ever seen one. Even the BMW dealer here has never had one to my knowledge.

We do get the 5 Wagon, but it's a special order item unless your dealer happens to stock one or is in Utah.

yes, but this is Yurop, where small = beautiful and X5s are about as big as you can get, remember?

The Rolls failed to start today, and the "Service Check Battery" signal came on. Don't buy hardly used 7 year old Rolls, they are expensive to maintain.

Edit: the surprising thing is the V12 sips on 98 fuel at about the same rate as our BMW E90 320!

Last edited:
^ More like it's because the Silver Seraph has to be driven like a hearse with dignity, and a sense of suave and debonair; while the Beemer is actually be driven like a cock, tailgating everyone and being the first one to be off the traffic lights :p

Hehe, I'm calculating the F does 7l/100km with "active, dynamic" driving while the Golf IV does 8-9l/100km if driven gently to the shops :p

drove a e46 328 BMW yesterday and cant still get the reason why they are so expensive compared to other brands in here... I dont say its not good but you can get as good of a car with a lot less money.

drove a e46 328 BMW yesterday and cant still get the reason why they are so expensive compared to other brands in here... I dont say its not good but you can get as good of a car with a lot less money.

:bmwpoo:

You can get a '90s Corolla and a useable E46 for the same money. I don't know why people go for the Corollas..