Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

A framework for doing the bodywork for this year's F-SAE car.

I only recently joined the team, but managed to finish up the sidepods and bit and pieces of the nose this weekend at uni workshop :)

That Chrysler is similar to the one that burned in Planes Trains & Automobiles?

K&N filter - recharged.
You know what? I can't notice a difference. Maybe the throttle response is a litlle bit better, but only a little.
The only result may be screwing up my MAF if I had accidentally oiled the filter too much.

I did an experimental 0-60 accel and it did it in approx 10.5 sec. That's not very good compared to the original 9.2 according to the manual.
And anyways - what is the proper procedure of acceleration 0-60 in an automatic? How can I launch the car at when the engine is at 3000rpm? I tried doing a brake stand but it didn't feel good and I quickly gave up.

I'd hold the brakes, wait until max torque is reached, then release the brake.

Doesn't that put massive strain on the drivetrain?
How about revving in Neutral, and then moving the shifter into Drive?

How about revving in Neutral, and then moving the shifter into Drive?

Doesn't that put massive strain on the drivetrain?

Come now, you already knew the answer to that. You aren't going to escape the strain on the drivetrain unless you're at a stop, then release the brake and mash the accelerator pedal. Even then though, there's still some strain. ;)

K&N filter - recharged.
You know what? I can't notice a difference. Maybe the throttle response is a litlle bit better, but only a little.
The only result may be screwing up my MAF if I had accidentally oiled the filter too much.

I did an experimental 0-60 accel and it did it in approx 10.5 sec. That's not very good compared to the original 9.2 according to the manual.
And anyways - what is the proper procedure of acceleration 0-60 in an automatic? How can I launch the car at when the engine is at 3000rpm? I tried doing a brake stand but it didn't feel good and I quickly gave up.

Doesn't the 850 have a sport mode? That should drop at least 5 or 6 seconds!

There is a sport mode, but that does nothing about the start of the car. What it does is hold it in gear longer.
In economy - shifts at 5200rpm.
In sport - shifts around 6100rpm.

0-60 really feels kind of sluggish. 60-100 however - that's pretty quick.

Snap oversteer be damed, I want this. At least I will die in style.

DeryleWilliams-D.jpg

There is a sport mode, but that does nothing about the start of the car. What it does is hold it in gear longer.
In economy - shifts at 5200rpm.
In sport - shifts around 6100rpm.

0-60 really feels kind of sluggish. 60-100 however - that's pretty quick.

I found the economy mode to be pretty pointless. I just kept it in sport.

got a cold air intake installed in the mitsu perhaps that will give it the power that it had with the EFI without having to haggle with it to start it up

got a cold air intake installed in the mitsu perhaps that will give it the power that it had with the EFI without having to haggle with it to start it up

Hate to say this but it's unlikely.

Hate to say this but it's unlikely.

will the fine tuning of the carb and the measures used to prevent the lack of air at around 4k RPM and the K&N air filter, cause they got around to do that aswell

I have just found my absolute dream car:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?lang=de&id=117943395

http://img53.imageshack.**/img53/3572/qfsnvwbg0kgrhgohdqejlll.jpg

Immaculate black paint job, 16" turbine wheels, less than 100Mm, absolutely utterly fully loaded, long wheel base V12. And it's in the Munich metro area. Where the fuck am I gonna get 16 grand from?

http://img53.imageshack.**/img53/7125/qfsrhq20kgrhgookj4ejllm.jpg

It looks quite comfortable.

EDIT: WOW, Manual XJR for only 4 grand (slightly dinged up)

Last edited:
Just drove for the first on the roads of Per?. Scary yet satisfying :-D

I just love that sensation of "just do whatever you want, nobody cares", it's just a big mess :-D

Oh and BTW, a 1.6 VW Polo "sedan" is quite slow.

Yeah, like Spectre said - don't expect miracles. Cold air intakes are highly overrated. Unless you somehow put the filter outside the car, but then it will get dirty quickly...
Couldn't you just get a drop-in K&N for the original airbox?

^i did, then i got the intake and the filter somehow fitted perfectly, i don't understand that much about technical stuff but at least it did gave it some much needed air also, like i said we tuned the carb so now it's getting almost EFI fuel economy and performance

killpanda, in regards to your post, feels good doesn't it

My Fiesta with it's 75hp TDdi didn't seem so slow!

Well, I guess I'm not used to petrol anymore and I shifted like a granny...

But I will redeem myself in a few days in an '06 Golf GTi and an '05 Subaru Impreza (albeit non-turbo and failmatic).