Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Quick question: What's the average temperature in the cylinder when the spark ignites the fuel? Say, for a standard V6

Well the autoignition temperature of gasoline is a little under 500 degrees, just looked up actually 475 degrees F, but the flame front will be much, much higher then that.

The flame front will most likely be over 1,000 degrees F but the average temperature of cylinder will be below that.

What should have been:

pininjag_04.jpg

pininjag_06.jpg

I've seen it placed anywhere from 1000*F to 1800*F.

Well the autoignition temperature of gasoline is a little under 500 degrees, just looked up actually 475 degrees F, but the flame front will be much, much higher then that.

The flame front will most likely be over 1,000 degrees F but the average temperature of cylinder will be below that.
I mean the time when the spark plug just ignites the fuel, right above the piston. So the maximum is around 1000F and the average is about 500F?

So what you're really asking is how hot the spark is then, right?

So what you're really asking is how hot the spark is then, right?
I'm asking about how hot it gets because I'm doing a FEA thermal stress analysis project on the piston. So I need to know the temperature it gets up to when the engine just starts. I can't find any concrete numbers on google. :S

Looks equal parts Jag, Corvette and Miata to me.

This.

Also,

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyrussian540/2010/03/11/CCC-532x650.jpg

Looking for something to do? Are you free anytime between March 25th to August 8th?

(Mad_Science isn?t?haha, and yes I?m really allergic to babysitting, it?s a rare condition)

If you are anywhere near New York City then you should head over to the Museum of the City of New York. A new exhibition entitled Cars, Culture, and the City gets underway and features images, video, models, and tons of memorabilia about our favorite subject and it?s relationship to the large fruit/muggersville/that place south of Boston the big apple.

For a schedule of events and two-for-one entry pass, hop the jump.

As we said, the exhibition starts on the 25th, but there are other attractions happening throughout the run:

* Cars, Culture and the City: Gallery Tour - Saturday, March 27th, 1 PM

* Speedy: Silent Film Screening - Saturday, April 3rd, 2 PM

* Cars, Culture and the City: Educator Open House - Wednesday, April 14th, 4:30 PM

* The Car of the Future: Family Workshop - Saturday, April 17th, 2 PM

* Speed and Glamour: Early Automobiles and NYC - Tuesday, April 20th, 6:30 PM

Here is a link to the 2-for-1 coupon: http://www.mcny.org/images/content/1/2/12341.pdf

http://hooniverse.com/blog/2010/03/...-new-york-city-and-the-american-auto-culture/

I really want to go to that

^ :think: I wish it was a week earlier cuz I have break. Maybe I'll have to pop down to NYC then from Syracuse, visit my friend in Brooklyn, the usual.

FG Mid-Atlantic meetup anyone? I know CMU can't be that far from there...:D

^ :think: I wish it was a week earlier cuz I have break. Maybe I'll have to pop down to NYC then from Syracuse, visit my friend in Brooklyn, the usual.

FG Mid-Atlantic meetup anyone? I know CMU can't be that far from there...:D

March 25 - August 8. That's mostly during the summer. I'll be good for some of that time.

I wouldn't have stopped till both of em were on their roof/side/in pieces myself, but thats just me...

I was just thinking that one of these would be fucking awesome to have and know how to use:

494px-EnglishWheel-with-rollers.jpg

/me daydreams of building replicas of old Jaaaaaaags from scratch

on the last old timer collectors fare i went to they sold new ones! as well as the hammer-version

i guess they're having a revival...

Never went out of style. Most car guys don't do custom body work, they just buy new peices. And some of the guys that do know how to use them have TV shows so more peeps are learning that they exsist.

I'm asking about how hot it gets because I'm doing a FEA thermal stress analysis project on the piston. So I need to know the temperature it gets up to when the engine just starts. I can't find any concrete numbers on google. :S

We actually calculated that once in Thermodynamics for the original Fiat 500...

My records say about 2900?K after compression. Keep in mind though that this is from a somewhat simplified model, and you can't just apply this 1:1 to any engine, since it depends on compression, thermal energy/ammount of fuel, etc.

http://img21.imageshack.**/img21/9518/washout.jpg

The gear.fi consensus is that this is the guy who designed the Mercedes-Benz W210 E-Class. Agree/Disagree?

Last edited:
http://img53.imageshack.**/img53/3449/13631555.jpg

Now who says Germans don't know how to party.

Better not let the cops know ...

... as for a serious answer; statistic calculations are a bitch if you don?t know what you are doing or if you base them on wrong numbers ... when it goes wrong like this, I wouldn?t trust any of the other numbers if I were you ...

weird thing is, the other stats (distance and current speed) are 100% correct, because I can compare those with the ones on the car's odometer

I also think average speed is correct, since it doesn't go up to some insanely high number after I supposedly went 575 kph... really weird.

The satnav itself doesn't "lose" me either, since the mileage and current speed keeps updating

same thing happened today, 534 kph this time