Random Thoughts (Top gear Edition)

While I don't know for certain that Woodward and Bernstein would not have engaged in illegal activities to get information on Nixon, I utterly and sincerely doubt it. Mr. Clarkson, please, provide us with some substance to back up such an inflammatory allegation. :puke:

I don't think Clarkson's argument works in the context of the scandal. I hate that he made the connection between the possibility of hacking Nixons's phone and the current events. It immediately made me think that he is justifying the hacking of the murdered girl's phone. Not his intent perhaps, but that's how it came across.

Otherwise, excellent read.

I don't think Clarkson's argument works in the context of the scandal. I hate that he made the connection between the possibility of hacking Nixons's phone and the current events. It immediately made me think that he is justifying the hacking of the murdered girl's phone. Not his intent perhaps, but that's how it came across.

Otherwise, excellent read.

I agree. What Jeremy says about not allowing MPs to curtail freedom of the press in part in revenge for the bashing they took over the expenses scandal is spot on, but the fact is that his close friend Rebekah presided over behaviour that was both corrupt and abhorrent. If she knew she's complicit and if she didn't she was incompetent as editor. I'd have liked a bit more condemnation of what went on, the power of the Murdoch empire and its toxic links to politicians and the press.

thanks Whitevanwoman!

Can someone tell me what this means: "...worked on a red top..." ?

... also

4db999e6502b7_1.jpg

Anyway Quentin Wilson doing the voiceover for Cops Uncut... poor Quentin.

I'd have liked a bit more condemnation of what went on, the power of the Murdoch empire and its toxic links to politicians and the press.

Except...

1) Jeremy is an employee of the Murdoch empire (they own both the Sun and the (Sunday) Times). He's not going to bad-mouth his employer.
2) Rebekah is a long-time friend of his. He's also not going to turn on his friends; he's fiercely loyal to them.

Except...

1) Jeremy is an employee of the Murdick (sic.) empire (they own both the Sun and the (Sunday) Times). He's not going to bad-mouth his employer.
2) Rebekah is a long-time friend of his. He's also not going to turn on his friends; he's fiercely loyal to them.

:lol: FTFY?

Except...

1) Jeremy is an employee of the Murdoch empire (they own both the Sun and the (Sunday) Times). He's not going to bad-mouth his employer.

1. If your employer has done something appalling, why not? It's not as if Jeremy's a downtrodden serf on minimum wage who literally can't afford to put a foot wrong.
2. He doesn't need toturn on her, particularly since she hasn't been found guilty of anything. I'd just like to have seen an ackowledgement in the article that there IS a need for change in the relations between press, police and politics.

Whats with Jeremy and Minnesota?

Apparently (and this is just my opinion) some of the people that come up with many complains turns out to be from Minnesota or some other part of the US. Is just a way to say "we don't give a damn aboutwhat you think because we rule anyway". Just Clarkson's Black-British humour.

Last edited:
Peugeot are idiots.

What is the point in paying for a huge banner add across the top of the Top Gear website? Don't they realise that the majority of TG fans regardless of budget wouldn't look at a Peugeot, new or used?

Peugeot, wake up and smell the cat food! Your cars are just poor Vauxhalls with added garlic!

It's Wisconsin this week.

It's about damn time I wholeheartedly approve! :thumbsup:

Now, if I could only get this imaginary drawing of Stig wearing a Cheesehead and clutching a Miller High Life out of my head....

Last edited:
Mine from 2009 has the same label. Its a good joke. I think that the 2005 refers to the time they copyrighted the newer logo ie as 'TopGear' as opposed to 'Top Gear'

So Series 17 comes to a close. Thoughts?

I was very impressed with this latest series, I must say. They kept the cocking about to a reasonable level and just tried to have fun, even when they were performing semi-serious tests and challenges. I believe there was more realistic consumer advice in this series than in the past few years combined. We also had some damn good supercar tests and a few rather emotional-ish films. I also can't think of anything that annoyed me due to over-fake-ness. And nothing that rubbed a raw nerve as a car enthusiast.

You don't suppose the makers of the show actually read this forum and take all this crap we write seriously, do you? Because it seems like they made a genuine effort to correct... pretty much all the problems many of us have been bitching and whining about for a while.

Either way though, damn fine job boys. Take a bow and enjoy your vaca.. er, Holiday, or whatever. :p

Last edited:
Now they've gotta work on their DVDs. ;)

I think S17 is the best series they've done in a while. Now, I liked S15 (still do), but this was even better. Possibly, as someone elsewhere suggested, at Series 10 or 12 levels of awesome. :thumbsup:

On the whole this series has been great. To me it would have been even better if 04 and 05 would have been less idiotic at times but me finding only two shows out of six "below par" really is an achievement of sorts, and well beyond what they have been producing lately. E-type tribute scored them a lot of points as well.

end score for the whole series: 8.5 (which for me is very high)