Random Thoughts....

He's gaining momentum though, thanks to American culture poisoning from Hollywood movies and stuff :(. But Sinterklaas is still way more popular than Santa Claus (who is for 90% based on Saint Nicholas (the actual name of Sinterklaas) and 10% on Coca-Cola, even the name Santa Claus is a total rip-off of Sinterklaas), especially with the little kiddies.

Not entirely. This is where the story gets weird. Saint Nicholas was the bishop of Myra, an ancient city in the province of Antalya in Turkey. Somewhere in history the Dutch decided that Sinterklaas came from Spain (maybe after smoking a little too much weed, who knows). His helpers are Moors, which is why they're black. (You have to remember that Spain was once run by Moors and they were kept as slaves after the Spanish took over). And this is just barely scratching the surface. There's also something with Oranges and shit, but that's too weird for me to remember.

A n00b question:

Why do most cars make a crackling noise after being shut off after a quick drive that's given the engine a good workout? Is it just the engine cooling or what?

More specifically, I think it's the catalytic converters and exhaust pipes. The engine block is quite thick and contains a lot of fluids with high heat capacities, but the cats and exhaust pipes are quite hollow and thus cool off much faster and make noises as they contract. Plus, the hollowness of the exhaust pipes allows the sound to resonate.

At least that stuff with ambermorn has finally blown over (or both parties are now in the corner of their rooms crying after hateful flurries of pm's :p)

I've moved on from New York and am currently staying in Washington DC

At least that stuff with ambermorn has finally blown over (or both parties are now in the corner of their rooms crying after hateful flurries of pm's :p)

If you're staying in a hotel, word of advice: don't use the cups in the room.

nah, no crying for this girl. been working, no rest for the wicked. see, i can't be driven off this site easily!

/ *hears groans*
// adds slashes for good measure.

nah, no crying for this girl. been working, no rest for the wicked. see, i can't be driven off this site easily!

/ *hears groans*
// adds slashes for good measure.

///Yes. Yes. Join us under No Boss's spell. The pain subsides quickly.
////Slash

Yeah they're plastic here (except for room service) afinia manhatten had ceramic cups (don't stay there it's quite shitty, good location shitty rooms and hugely expensive for what it is) It was directly opposite madison square garden.

Oh god thats horrible. I stay in hotels about four times a year with work and often drink from the glasses in the room (buy a bottle of coke or Dr Pepper at a local shop first) - don't know if they do this in the UK as well but I'm not going to use the glasses again.

I think in future I'll go down to the bar, buy a drink and take that up to my room and use that glass for the day.

Yuk

so did anyone get a visit from sinterklaas yesterday....?

image-445713.JPG
That created a WTF?!-moment for me, seeing an Italian guy post about Sinterklaas. :lol:
And, yeah, got a nice gift from my girlfriend yesterday, and this weekend I'll have a sinterklaas-'party' with my sister and parents 8)

"Dr. Pepper? Michael, it tastes like fizzy Benilyn!"

I assume working for the BBC you've seen every single show they've made and get that reference. :p

...buy a bottle of coke or Dr Pepper...